Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision decision decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't disagree more. I for one love the interface and nothing is "wonky". But each to his own. You like Sync I am guessing. A few dozen other people as well. So there is that I suppose. However I - and most others - know Tesla's software UX and integration is bar none. No car manufacturer to date has done software right. Clunky mouse and wheels and slow unintuitive screens and menu. Why do you think they almost all fell back on Apple or Android car play? It wasn't because they got their own systems right believe me. This will be no different. Tesla is leading and Ford is trying to pretend they can catch up. Good of them to try. But let's not trash the leader out of spite.

LOL!

I am not talking about the user interface design when I say Tesla's software is wonky, I am talking about the software itself. If you think I am wrong that Tesla's software is not full of bugs and problems in every feature, you haven't been on this forum for very long.

LOL!

I am not talking about the user interface design when I say Tesla's software is wonky, I am talking about the software itself. If you think I am wrong that Tesla's software is not full of bugs and problems in every feature, you haven't been on this forum for very long.
Let’s see ... my join date shows 2011 vs your 2019. Lol indeed.

My $0.02 (and obviously I'm biased because I went the Tesla direction - although I technically still haven't owned a Tesla) is that this is going to be Ford's first foray into this market - perhaps not their first EV, but definitely first one for mass market. Tesla's secret sauce is the software and pace at which they innovate. The conventional manufactures have yet to prove they can shed their history of slow-to-market and slow-to-innovate cultures. I bet on Tesla because they have a track record to bet on - less risk in my opinion.

I'm sure the Mach E will be a good car. But it's the first of this new generation for Ford. What kind of problems will you be a beta tester for? To be fair, we're all beta testers for Tesla to some degree, too. Hope this is good food for thought.
The charging experience while traveling will be substandard for next several years. No travel. Non issue.

Need some help here.

I've been deciding between Model Y and Mach E for a while, and pre-ordered Mach E earlier this year, still un-deciding.

What I like about the Mach E is better fit &finish (possible), additional 10.2" screen, better interior &exterior (personal preference), heated steering wheel, better seats material with heated seats;

What I like about Model Y is: Better battery and software ( at least more proven); better range; more storage space; supercharge! Although I probably won't use EV for road trip and still nice to have the capability.

I need to make decision within a month also, any suggestion is appreciated.
The fit and finish on my 2021 Y is excellent.

Have you previously cared a lot about fit and finish? If so, good to be cautious, but as you note, things seem to be better.

If you haven't previously cared a lot, don't get freaked out by what you see online. I almost did.

I've owned many cars, and I've never been the kind of person that took a magnifying glass to a new car. But in the month leading up to getting my MY, I managed to work myself into a state, by spending lots of time reading posts here. When I took delivery a couple of months ago, I did a very careful inspection. Noted one scuff mark on black trim. Took a photo, noted it with the delivery person, and now I can't even remember where it was.

Deliriously happy with the MY.
Model Y and 3 owner here. I concur. Most of the cars have zero issues. A lot of the negative comments are FUD.

Reactions: jetsurgn
Need some help here.

I've been deciding between Model Y and Mach E for a while, and pre-ordered Mach E earlier this year, still un-deciding.

What I like about the Mach E is better fit &finish (possible), additional 10.2" screen, better interior &exterior (personal preference), heated steering wheel, better seats material with heated seats;

What I like about Model Y is: Better battery and software ( at least more proven); better range; more storage space; supercharge! Although I probably won't use EV for road trip and still nice to have the capability.

I need to make decision within a month also, any suggestion is appreciated.

First, your choice should depend on WHEN do you need (want) your car. You will not get Mach-E this year (highly unlikely), and unless you have pre-ordered the first edition, it is not likely to happen in the next year. This means if you are somewhat short on time, your choice is Model Y. <- period.

If time isn't an issue and you can wait until 2022, keep watching Tesla progress and my guess is that this month improvements to Model Y are not the only improvement you will see over the next year+. My guess is that Ford will be unable or will not want to amass Mach-E production anytime soon. Before Ford will be able to mass produce, Mach-E will be buggy, and when they can start mass producing Mach-E it will be obsolete. If I could get Mach-E NOW I would certainly do it out of curiosity. A year from now ... not sure. And two years from now .... nah...

Have you previously cared a lot about fit and finish? If so, good to be cautious, but as you note, things seem to be better.

If you haven't previously cared a lot, don't get freaked out by what you see online. I almost did.

Last summer, before I ordered Model 3, I was freaked out about Tesla going bankwupt. So, I gave their 19Q2 report to an auditor and basically got a response that the company is doing fine and the press is total BS. The fit of the car was okay, not really any worse than on my Acura MDX. Paint work was really bad in some hidden places in particular, but I was prepared for that, so I invested in full frontal PPF, and I wash my car by hand only (mainly). 15 months, 15k, no need for a single SC call. Battery degradation is another story, but Mach-E is a totally untested animal, so I would prefer a known possible issues to unknown potentially critical issues at this time.

Reactions: Dayreg
Model Y and 3 owner here. I concur. Most of the cars have zero issues. A lot of the negative comments are FUD.

My first MY was bought back because it had so many problems and I rejected my new 2021 MY for numerous fit and finish problems. It’s always great to hear when people get great cars but please don’t dismiss those who were less fortunate.

I pre-ordered Mach E, and schedule delivery early Jan most likely. However I am still waiting for the reviews and crash test, it's hard to 100% sure about a new vehicle without even seeing one. My dealer told me I still can change mind since they have a waiting list. So if I am not satisfy with the reviews or crash test I will order the model Y instead.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
My first MY was bought back because it had so many problems and I rejected my new 2021 MY for numerous fit and finish problems. It’s always great to hear when people get great cars but please don’t dismiss those who were less fortunate.

How did you go about initiating the buy back? Is this something you worked through with Service or Sales? I've been experiencing a multitude of issues and about ready to go the same route you did...How does the buyback work? Is it essentially a swap or they reimburse you and then you buy a new vehicle as a separate transaction?