Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has anybody with 5.9 driven down to (near) zero and checked what the SoC reported (via something like VisibleTesla)?

I'd really like to know if there's any validity to this idea of the below-zero-buffer being eliminated.

0 = 0%

90% = 242 mi

new(refurb?) battery on V5.9

- - - Updated - - -

You and your fancy new D pack. :tongue:

For those that have 5.9: When does your 30 mile average W/mi = rated consumption? Is it back up to 308 W/mi or is it the ~280 some such number reported in cinergi's thread?

And yet your battery is not bricked... the SoC reporting must be hiding the anti-brick buffer now.

when you hit 0 it shows no battery bar left at all, unlike how it used to show ~ 8% or whatever. The other day was the first time I have gone to 0 and stayed pretty local. I was hauling ass out to the hills in the morning w/ 4 people and had to drive the speed limit home + stop for 15 minutes to make it after dropping someone off.

I need to check my log and see how many kW I used from 95% to 0. It was something like 68, I think, must check... ... 66kW 95%-0%

...70kW charging back to 90% from 0%

Last edited:
when you hit 0 it shows no battery bar left at all, unlike how it used to show ~ 8% or whatever. The other day was the first time I have gone to 0 and stayed pretty local. I was hauling ass out to the hills in the morning w/ 4 people and had to drive the speed limit home + stop for 15 minutes to make it after dropping someone off.

I need to check my log and see how many kW I used from 95% to 0. It was something like 68, I think, must check...
This pretty much confirms that 5.9 took the rated miles under 0, and shuffled them back to where they used to be. The only question that remains is what new cars on 5.9 get for rated miles(before and after 5.9)?

This pretty much confirms that 5.9 took the rated miles under 0, and shuffled them back to where they used to be. The only question that remains is what new cars on 5.9 get for rated miles(before and after 5.9)?

Agreed. It also will be interesting to see what the "additional" rated miles now total, and then do the math to see what that equates to in "percent of capacity shuffled back up above 0".

This should also make it easier to determine what the Wh/mi number needs to be in order to make rated mileage = actual mileage.

Here come some pics.... Words later...

- - - Updated - - -

While I wasn't willing to needlessly push myself below zero, I did pull into the garage with 2 miles left on my daily drive today. I took some pictures to compare and contrast them to the past. There is some definite changes. The meter goes red with more miles remaining now.... Etc... You'll see. At 14 it was already red. I'd never even seen red before, and I'd been down to 6 miles.

im not sure why today had me getting back with only 2 miles. We had been getting back with about 20 before. We did go out of the way 10 miles, and drove a couple mph faster going to work, but I slowed down way earlier today as I saw the inevitable coming. I had been able to make it out and back at 75 mph... I was doing 65 for half of the trip back. As for starting charge, it was about 5 miles higher than before 5.9 (after losing 3 miles since finishing charging at 1 am).

the picture with 7 miles left was from a while ago and for comparison, one big thing to look at is the limiter. It's in almost the same spot. Where did the guys who ran out of battery say it was at before the car quit? Way lower than my pics. So there likely is still some below zero. My guess remains that they adjusted the algorithm and put some of the range that was slipping below zero back up top. They have also changed the way it reports SOC% so things like the display on the dash and the REST app and Visible tesla see 0% SOC as 0 miles remaining, even if there is still 10kwh remaining.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 344
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 319
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    785.2 KB · Views: 329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 314
While I wasn't willing to needlessly push myself below zero, I did pull into the garage with 2 miles left on my daily drive today. I took some pictures to compare and contrast them to the past. There is some definite changes. The meter goes red with more miles remaining now.... Etc... You'll see. At 14 it was already red. I'd never even seen red before, and I'd been down to 6 miles.

The yellow is for <20% SOC and the red is for <10% SOC. It may seem different but it's likely the same as before since the colors are triggered by the SOC value and not the range value. What is different is that 0 miles range is now 0% SOC and not ~7% or whatever is was before.

The yellow is for <20% SOC and the red is for <10% SOC. It may seem different but it's likely the same as before since the colors are triggered by the SOC value and not the range value. What is different is that 0 miles range is now 0% SOC and not ~7% or whatever is was before.
Ok... So that furthers my theory that they have done some changing to how they report 0% SOC. I think 0% SOC doesn't mean what it used to. I think they have the car reporting 0% SOC well above a true 0% SOC.