Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
Update:
It's been a while since I have done a range charge.

For whatever it's worth, I'm also very happy with the retained battery capacity. I don't drive much, but my car is about to hit its 4th birthday in two weeks and my stats are:

Miles: 27,000
Rated miles at 100% charge: 260

Since I almost never need more than 100 miles in daily life, I charge to 75% (195 rated miles of range) so I'll have lots of reserve range, and simply trigger a full charge from the app on the rare days when I might need more or when I travel. I also remember to do a 100% charge at least 3-4 times a year just to keep the pack in balance. It's a routine that has required nearly zero thought but appears to be consistent with good battery-care habits. And with my battery showing 98% of its original capacity, I'm thrilled with Tesla.

Reactions: David99
For whatever it's worth, I'm also very happy with the retained battery capacity. I don't drive much, but my car is about to hit its 4th birthday in two weeks and my stats are:

Miles: 27,000
Rated miles at 100% charge: 260

That's excellent, what was your original capacity?

Mine is now 4 years 1 month with 26000 miles and charges to 252. But it only charged to 257 initially.

Reactions: David99
@David99 - What is your daily charging level % (majority of the time)? If less than 90%, I would be curious to see if 1 week of daily charging to 92~94% might recover some range. I am by no means an expert, but several threads 2+ years ago suggested this helped with battery balancing, which in turn helped increase range. If this worked for you, it would imply the earlier theories were right; if it doesn't work, then maybe aging effects are now dominating. P.S. I have done this myself and have seen improvement: My 90% is 234 and my 100% is 259~260; original 100% was 265 (S85 with 40K miles).

@David99 - What is your daily charging level % (majority of the time)? If less than 90%, I would be curious to see if 1 week of daily charging to 92~94% might recover some range. I am by no means an expert, but several threads 2+ years ago suggested this helped with battery balancing, which in turn helped increase range. If this worked for you, it would imply the earlier theories were right; if it doesn't work, then maybe aging effects are now dominating. P.S. I have done this myself and have seen improvement: My 90% is 234 and my 100% is 259~260; original 100% was 265 (S85 with 40K miles).

Mostly I charge to 80%, but about once a month I charge to 100% when I need to. I have an app that monitors battery voltages of all modules separately. They are less than 0.1% apart which is really good. I have been monitoring my battery closely for more than a year now. Even when I don't charge higher than 80% for an extended period of time, the cell don't get out of balance at all. Based on my experience I can say with confidence that balancing is not an issue in any situation.
According to this study MaxRange Tesla Battery Survey my degradation is actually slightly better than the average.

Here is a screen shot of the battery voltages from my pack

Screenshot_20160625-224702crop.jpg