Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dedham, MA Tesla woes... "Hugh"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worse how? I need to know what exactly I'm getting into. I heard that the delivery process was awful but that the vehicle itself is well worth the wait. I have been religiously checking in on what to expect, but THIS, I did not expect.

Please inform the uninformed as I am starting to feel this whole thing is just a big scam - if it wasn't for the handful of Model 3s I see roaming around Massachusetts.
Those cars are just being driven by Tesla employees. Nobody has actually taken delivery of a Model 3, they are all just in limbo waiting for a phone call from Tesla.

The idea that people should expect to have poor service experience or expect to have poor reliability is complete nonsense. It flies in the face of statistical data.

That same Bloomberg poll noted that service was getting worse. In some parts of the country it is not statistical nonsense at all, it is reality. It is very local, and I am sure service is still amazing in Minnesota, but I can tell you here in So Cal it is not. So I tell people that they need to check out their local service center if that is a concern. I tell locals who ask me about my car that service is terrible, because it currently is. 1.5 years ago, it was great. I hope they can fix it.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Here is some statistical data for you:

FF444689-DC3A-40E5-9BE9-9A4F03F25A4D.jpeg
6F6EEBAB-7F70-4015-89D3-424A884DAA79.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Would you think Ford Mach E, sales and service team, do a better job ? Interesting to see how 2020 year EV competition will be.

They will undoubtably do a better job than Tesla. The Sales team at Tesla does not need to exist. Orders are placed through the website and you get a phone call from someone to schedule pickup. That is not, by my definition, a sales team.

Ford has 3000+ service centers. They even have several in my state which will be a welcome change.

They have a phone number where I can call and talk to humans in about 30 seconds tops.

I put a deposit down on the Mach E GT. The model Y, and Tesla as a whole, needs to pull out some major changes between now and 2021 if they want my business.

That same Bloomberg poll noted that service was getting worse. In some parts of the country it is not statistical nonsense at all, it is reality. It is very local, and I am sure service is still amazing in Minnesota, but I can tell you here in So Cal it is not. So I tell people that they need to check out their local service center if that is a concern. I tell locals who ask me about my car that service is terrible, because it currently is. 1.5 years ago, it was great. I hope they can fix it.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Here is some statistical data for you:

View attachment 478266 View attachment 478267

I agree that Tesla is having teething issues with the influx of vehicles, and expansion of service. They've also made some service changes that make it more difficult to communicate with the the centers. However, the overall picture is that owners are considerably more satisfied with service, than not.

That's fine, and I think that advice is far better than telling someone they're guaranteed to have a bad experience...especially when they were clearly reaching out for help. The entire point of my post was applying your personal experience to the larger whole isn't helpful. This ignores that most of his posts on the forum are trashing Tesla in general. There are definitely service centers that, at least according to forum members, appear less capable than others. Personal experience with specific service centers is quite valuable, certainly more so than discussing them as a single entity.

They will undoubtably do a better job than Tesla. The Sales team at Tesla does not need to exist. Orders are placed through the website and you get a phone call from someone to schedule pickup. That is not, by my definition, a sales team.

Ford has 3000+ service centers. They even have several in my state which will be a welcome change.

They have a phone number where I can call and talk to humans in about 30 seconds tops.

I put a deposit down on the Mach E GT. The model Y, and Tesla as a whole, needs to pull out some major changes between now and 2021 if they want my business.
You are delusional if you think that your average Ford dealership will be able to service the Mach E

I regret the direction the company has opted to go in and will not be purchasing anything from them in the future.

This was not anyone’s experience prior to the Model 3 launch. Yes there were issues but you felt like you were dealing with a luxury vehicle manufacturer when they occurred. Now it’s the worst service and customer care in the industry by a wide margin.

Elon needs to go and until that happens I’m sitting on the sidelines. The founder can only take a company so far. He did his part and now it’s time for someone to step in and run the organization properly.
I got trashed here awhile back for stating the exact same things, simply because those things made me rethink buying one so I've been waiting it out. Somehow, even if what you state is true, when you don't personally experience it yourself you get labelled a "troll" and questioned whether you even like the company or planned on buying one. Then inevitably come all of the stories that brand X was far worse and that owning a Tesla was their best decision...until weeks later when they're inevitably here complaining about the same things you just mentioned.

I get it, at first it was somewhat cult-like esp. since the price of admission was very high to most people, so there was this "with us or against us" vibe. But now that they've built a mainstream model it's time for them to enhance customer service and quality, NOT strip it back to the point it becomes painful to deal with IMHO.

Systems go down and deliveries get delayed. You never custom ordered another brand car before? It usually takes 6-8 weeks and gets delayed.
You have no choice though, it's not like they have cars in the lot ready to go. Anyone that custom orders a car from another company knows that they'll first check their database to see if one is already available, and won't charge you to have it shipped. I was just at the Dedham location Sat. as the site stated there was a used Model S, they had no idea what I was talking about...despite it sitting outside (compared VIN). Because it was used they wouldn't let me sit in it or drive it, very odd like they didn't want me to buy it.

I agree that Tesla is having teething issues with the influx of vehicles, and expansion of service. They've also made some service changes that make it more difficult to communicate with the the centers. However, the overall picture is that owners are considerably more satisfied with service, than not.

That's fine, and I think that advice is far better than telling someone they're guaranteed to have a bad experience...especially when they were clearly reaching out for help. The entire point of my post was applying your personal experience to the larger whole isn't helpful. This ignores that most of his posts on the forum are trashing Tesla in general. There are definitely service centers that, at least according to forum members, appear less capable than others. Personal experience with specific service centers is quite valuable, certainly more so than discussing them as a single entity.
But what you're missing is that a LARGE majority of people only have access to one or two maybe, the rest may be hours or states away. So if you have one of those "less capable" centers you're literally SOL.

Just because I’m not here to blindly help Tesla doesn’t mean I’m not here to help anyone. You got it twisted.

Agreed. It's not helpful if only people with positive experiences post. However your experience may not reflect what is most likely. I guess we all won't know until we take delivery.
Yes, the mobile techs that have come out to my house and my wife's place of work, at our convenience, is truly a horrific service model.
I have no experience with this as I don't /tell have my Tesla yet, but I have been hearing it can take months from when you schedule appointment to when they actually come. Is this true? Maybe it's dependent if you are in an area with lots of Tesla's versus very few?

I have no experience with this as I don't /tell have my Tesla yet, but I have been hearing it can take months from when you schedule appointment to when they actually come. Is this true? Maybe it's dependent if you are in an area with lots of Tesla's versus very few?

I don't know, but you should withhold opinions until you have an experience yourself. This is how hearsay forms based on 1/1000 cases.

It's always going to be dependent on the number of people requiring servicing. When you make a service appt. via your phone app (or online) they give you dates to choose from. The last time I did this they were 3 weeks out. I have had mobile service contact me directly and come out before the date I initially set up the appt., as well.

So, yes, it will depend on how busy your SC is and I can only speak to my experience.

It's always going to be dependent on the number of people requiring servicing. When you make a service appt. via your phone app (or online) they give you dates to choose from. The last time I did this they were 3 weeks out. I have had mobile service contact me directly and come out before the date I initially set up the appt., as well.

So, yes, it will depend on how busy your SC is and I can only speak to my experience.

Does it matter what the issue is? 3 weeks is a long time if the car isn't drivable. And I'm assuming then we would add weeks waiting for parts?

In terms of service appointments, it has been quick whether it's been mobile or SC. I've always been able to schedule my MX for service and get an appointment the following week in Northern California.

When I have to visit their service center, the employees are complete garbage in terms of attitude and morale, but they get it done within the anticipated time frame, sometimes sooner. Mobile service techs are almost the complete opposite, they seem happier than the in house SC lol.

The last time I did this they were 3 weeks out.

This is also very local to where you are. In my area I can actually get an appointment within about a week, it is usually harder to fit into my schedule than into Tesla's.

Does it matter what the issue is? 3 weeks is a long time if the car isn't drivable. And I'm assuming then we would add weeks waiting for parts?

If the car isnt driveable, you will be calling roadside assistance for a tow in. If the car is driveable but the problem is critical (cant charge for example), you can bring the car into service as a walk in.