Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dedham, MA Tesla woes... "Hugh"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it matter what the issue is? 3 weeks is a long time if the car isn't drivable. And I'm assuming then we would add weeks waiting for parts?

When you make the service appt. you do choose the specific issue from a menu. I do not know for sure whether a specific issue gets priority. We've only had to use mobile service for winter wheel and tire swap, and a right side mirror replacement when my wife broke it backing out of our garage.

Not sure, but I would not be surprised if he had a good ol' talking to. Interestingly enough the rest of the guys at the delivery were walking on eggshells while I was there. The finance guy kept messing up and I kept correcting him. He certainly tried and I dont fault him for that. But in the end I agree with previous posts that this will all be forgotten in a couple weeks.

Now? Its playtime! I get to drive it to work for the first time today. Should be fun!
I was told by an SA that the turnover in these types of employees is quite large. Hugh is/was probably new and may no longer be there.

It’s the “Hughs” in the organization that really make interaction with Tesla problematic. Hopefully for the customers in Dedham, MA - Hugh is long gone.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
I was told by an SA that the turnover in these types of employees is quite large. Hugh is/was probably new and may no longer be there.

It’s the “Hughs” in the organization that really make interaction with Tesla problematic. Hopefully for the customers in Dedham, MA - Hugh is long gone.

And why do you think there is so much turnover for a company that is doing such amazing things? Surely they must also be great to work for.

I can guarantee you “Hugh” isn’t the problem

• Disagree
Reactions: jelloslug
And why do you think there is so much turnover for a company that is doing such amazing things? Surely they must also be great to work for.

Of course Hugh is not the problem with Tesla. Its the people who hired Hugh in the first place - or better yet, the corporate decision to hire people like zHugh to interact with the public at all.

We get the “Hugh’s” at Tesla to work with - and yes dealing with “Hughs” is a problem. Are Hugh or Hughs the problem, of course not.

And high turnover in the lower positions is totally indicative of a miserable chaotic workplace. I’m not dumb. I spent many years in various Silicon Valley companies and saw what made a company good and what showed a company with major flaws. Tesla would fall into the latter category.

Believe me, I am only buying a Tesla because of the car. I’ve got to be insane, but I’m buying it anyway. You won’t find me buying Tesla stock or cheering what they do.

I really suggest you point your fingers at someone who says “Tesla can do no wrong.” Won’t find me there. In fact, I’m lining up an ICE vehicle to buy assuming that Tesla will not get me a car that I can take delivery of in time.

Reactions: trisk
On top of it, he’s preaching to the choir. I’m really not in the mood to put down Tesla today. Have I done so - yes. Not today.
Glide seems to be taking pot shots at anything.

Yes, I've tried to point out as much. I have no issues with constructive criticism, heaven knows Tesla can benefit from it. However, the pattern of behavior from glide, is, well...as you see.

Of course Hugh is not the problem with Tesla. Its the people who hired Hugh in the first place - or better yet, the corporate decision to hire people like zHugh to interact with the public at all.

We get the “Hugh’s” at Tesla to work with - and yes dealing with “Hughs” is a problem. Are Hugh or Hughs the problem, of course not.

And high turnover in the lower positions is totally indicative of a miserable chaotic workplace. I’m not dumb. I spent many years in various Silicon Valley companies and saw what made a company good and what showed a company with major flaws. Tesla would fall into the latter category.

Believe me, I am only buying a Tesla because of the car. I’ve got to be insane, but I’m buying it anyway. You won’t find me buying Tesla stock or cheering what they do.

I really suggest you point your fingers at someone who says “Tesla can do no wrong.” Won’t find me there. In fact, I’m lining up an ICE vehicle to buy assuming that Tesla will not get me a car that I can take delivery of in time.

It's all about corporate culture. Tesla seems to prioritize the product over it's customers and employees. I'm not sure where shareholders fall on that list. I work for a silicon valley tech company and know that employees normally are last. They just hold a couple town halls where a CEO will get up and thank us for all our hard work the long hours and then rinse and repeat.

Well, I don't wish ill on anyone, especially not if they make a mistake or are not able to keep up. However, I do think a good talking to would be appropriate. I'm hoping either way that Hugh (or others like him) get the training they need to ensure best possible service. It's not like it is very difficult - just treat others like you'd like to be treated...

It's all about corporate culture. Tesla seems to prioritize the product over it's customers and employees. I'm not sure where shareholders fall on that list. I work for a silicon valley tech company and know that employees normally are last. They just hold a couple town halls where a CEO will get up and thank us for all our hard work the long hours and then rinse and repeat.

Shareholders > Product > Customers > Employees ... at least it feels this way from my interactions. The folks I interacted with at Dedham and Boston seemed almost "shell shocked" - like if they are just operating day by day and always looking over their shoulder.

It's actually kinda sad, really.

Reactions: trisk and glide
I want to say, it’ll be worth the pain when you get your car. I didn’t have any major delays in my online purchase as car showed up in 13 days as advertised. I suspect the your Tesla dealership has communication issues they’ve not sorted out. I also think if you are into much “customer service” or VIP treatment, you’re NOT going to get it from Tesla.

I love my car and drive whenever I can come up with an excuse to do more.

I hope you got it today and are out there driving around with that Tesla Smile! Good luck.

Last week I was in a similar situation as OP. Was told last week they were switching to a new backend system. Then Friday it went down. Currently waiting for an updated MVPA so I can provide it to the bank so I can pick the car up. Currently if I try to view the MVPA the requests timeout, or a crash.

New infrastructure rollouts can be a bear sometimes :(

Shareholders > Product > Customers > Employees ... at least it feels this way from my interactions. The folks I interacted with at Dedham and Boston seemed almost "shell shocked" - like if they are just operating day by day and always looking over their shoulder.

So how do you like the car?
Just seeing this thread and Dedham is my SC. Your experience is not abnormal and certainly disappointing - sure you are glad it's over. I arrived to a perfect delivery but for a tiger stripe on the hood no one noticed (really?). It was fixed and haven't thought about it for a year. I love my car more every day and I say that about nothing! The Dedham folks are a good group with many long timers. As far as the naysayers that you can never get a person on the phone I say false. I am approaching two years of ownership with my Tesla, a year with solar and know several of the folks at the SC and in NV. They respond within hours if not minutes, genuinely care and try to help. It does help to be nice vs some early M3 owners that would storm in enraged over foolish things I witnessed like not being able to find the 12v. Welcome aboard!

So how do you like the car?
Just seeing this thread and Dedham is my SC. Your experience is not abnormal and certainly disappointing - sure you are glad it's over. I arrived to a perfect delivery but for a tiger stripe on the hood no one noticed (really?). It was fixed and haven't thought about it for a year. I love my car more every day and I say that about nothing! The Dedham folks are a good group with many long timers. As far as the naysayers that you can never get a person on the phone I say false. I am approaching two years of ownership with my Tesla, a year with solar and know several of the folks at the SC and in NV. They respond within hours if not minutes, genuinely care and try to help. It does help to be nice vs some early M3 owners that would storm in enraged over foolish things I witnessed like not being able to find the 12v. Welcome aboard!

Agreed - I didn't storm in like a bull in a china shop - stuck to the facts and got the support I needed. It was stressful that's for sure, but I absolutely love this car. My wife and I commute every day into Boston (yay HOV lane!!) and autopilot has been fantastic. My wife joined a FB Tesla group and threw some pictures on there... got like 200 likes in a couple hours. Everyone that sees our new baby is stunned at how pretty she is. And yes... we named her Tessie :)

Reactions: SMAlset
Worse how? I need to know what exactly I'm getting into. I heard that the delivery process was awful but that the vehicle itself is well worth the wait. I have been religiously checking in on what to expect, but THIS, I did not expect.

Please inform the uninformed as I am starting to feel this whole thing is just a big scam - if it wasn't for the handful of Model 3s I see roaming around Massachusetts.

Sounds to me like if your DA has 15 calls to make a scheduled carrier isn't going to make it on time. Doubt it's his fault or he has any control over it. Feel bad for the guy having to call each person as you already know no one is going to be happy. The car is worth it. Really. And I've had my Model 3 LR AWD for over a year now and apart from adding windshield washer fluid and air in my tires done nothing to it maintenance-wise, been a absolute pleasure to drive. Best car I've had with may the exception of our Model S which is my husband's daily driver, and I'd have a hard time choosing which I think is better.

There will be issues and problems with some of the deliveries/cars (like most manufacturers of production vehicles) but honestly Tesla's been selling hundreds of thousands of them just in this year and if it were such a huge, massive issue like some would have you believe, well the posts here would be all negative and the company would be out of business. That's also not what you are reading in the car and market press these days (unless you count the self-interest short sellers). I wouldn't worry. Last fall I had my delivery date rescheduled twice (third time was the charm) and I don't live far from the factory. Got my car though and no regrets at all.

Reactions: dandrewk
For those unaware Telsa was going to fire all of their satellite sales staff earlier this year and close all of their sales offices, leaving only service centers for repair work ; plan was to go to an all online sales model.
Was announced when they lowered the price of the Model 3 in late Feb.
They ended up changing their mind but did close a good number of them, the Hingham, MA store for example closed I am sure others in New England area also have been closed.

Tesla is closing stores, shifting all sales online

If you had solid experience or excelled at sales/service, you jumped ship then !
So yes Tesla does not employ the best sales employees at their locations, that is done by design as they do not really value the role and think the car can sell itself online.

I think knowing that background helped me enter the situation with a certain expectation level and have had only positive experiences with everyone I have dealt with in Dedham, MA.

• Informative
Reactions: trisk and Duke9th
It's not like Tesla has had years of profitability yet. Think about it. Still very much a young company especially when it come to scaling up to production at this level. Lots to learn along the way in many areas to operate at this level. Then consider what they have accomplished and are working towards in the meantime.

They are continually working on things like the OTA updates (and yes still on FSD) and expanding charging locations, starting to update to v3 chargers, installing many more urban chargers for local use while out, there has been some expansion of service centers and mobile service, battery improvements, drive train improvements, design improvements, OTA improvements to our mileage and power boost. They have powerwalls, solar (here and around the world), are opening up more sales and service and charging to more countries, oh and we have a pickup truck being revealed soon, the Model Y close to production, two semis following after that, and there's the China Gigafactory3 and Berlin Gigafactory4 in the planning stages. Not exactly like Tesla has been sitting on the sidelines. They been getting great reviews on the Model 3 worldwide by car reviewers in the press. Lots of great things going on if you ask me. Don't expect everything to be 100% perfect and they do have room for improvement as do most companies. I think I saw that Elon said they were working on their own software internally because it's been hard for people to get access sometimes--I read this and wondered if it involved customer service from orders, delivery to service center.

Given the number of cars being delivered at quarterly rush and the hours these guys sometimes put in to get cars to new owners, I can see how there's a lot of pressure on them. And when they might be doing their best to move things along and get angry customers because of one thing or another that may not be in their control, gee I wonder why they might not stick it out. BTW my husband ran into his Tesla advisor from 12/2016 the other day while out shopping. Tom's still working at the same Tesla store and it's a high volume very busy location.

I'm also sure with increased orders, production and deliveries that Tesla hired a lot of new people to help out. You never know what kind of day some of these guys have had or when it comes to deliveries whether there were logistics problems that delayed a carrier to the delivery center. When people go in expecting problems, I suspect that's what they'll get and handling problems is seemingly more a daily part of life. Easy to get stressed out. I think worrying about issues before they happen though, like I've seen on the waiting threads, is not really productive. Sure good to know what others have gone through, good or bad, but I don't believe it is true for the majority of people that they'll have problems let along insurmountable ones so why give yourself an ulcer before delivery. Seen plenty of people on here worry themselves crazy only to get their cars, problem free or close to it, and just love their car so much afterwards.

Right now as we approach December end of quarter and all the cars start coming in for deliveries, you can bet these guys are under pressure. Many may be new brought in for the increased deliveries. And no one wants to have some angry customer come in and get them fired. Especially before the holidays...or heck afterwards. It's kind of like wait staff in a restaurant, low on the totum pole, feeling the dinner rush and hoping the food is okay and they don't get shorted a tip at the end of the meal.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide