Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dedicated (separate) rear dash cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep thinking about options to install a front + rear dashcam solution without having to run wires through the headliner. The simplest thing it seems would be to buy 2 of these things, and mount them so they are recording separately front and back. Since there's a lighter power socket in the trunk, getting power to the rear dashcam should be fairly easy without having to rip into headliner and splicing into vehicle wires. Has anyone done it, and if so - any recommendations?

Interesting approach. It will be more costly, but there will be some advantages having two separate systems like
- twice the memory storage
- redundant systems
- less wiring requirements
- 2 mics
Not sure how much more costly it will be, I'm looking at a couple of smaller units at about $100 a pop. Considering zero installer cost, it may be worth it given the benefits you outlined below.

Just curious if anyone installed something in the rear hatch and how they routed the wiring.

Front dashcam finally installed. Here's what I ended up doing:

My ICE that got traded for the X had a nifty dashcam that was an overlay covering the rear-view mirror, similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FCU2CWG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_Qhf4xbHEAQHF4

I like this design as it's hardly noticeable and gives you a bigger mirror on top of all the cam functions. The stock X mirror is tiny and the larger one affords me a better view of what the kids are up to in the back without having to contort myself while driving.

Today I finally wired it up in the X. Most relevant detail I wanted to share is how I ran power from the 12v cigarette lighter socket in the front console to the windshield. I ended up tucking the cable between carpet and the bottom lip of the console, then under the steering wheel paneling and around the main dash (fully tucked into gaps/seams) so that there is only 1 visible piece of wire when the console lid is closed - and this wire is deep between the driver seat and the console - so completely out of the way and fairly stealthy. Since I usually have my phone charger wires sticking out the gap between the lid and console while keeping said lid closed - and leave them tucked between passenger seat and console fir easy access, this does not bother me at all - just a another 2-3 inch section of black USB wire that you can't even see, unless you are really looking for it.

Best part - no messing with splicing into factory wire harnesses / fuse boxes, no bulky OBDII power adapters etc.

Wanted to share the approach with the community. Let me know if there are questions or wanna see pics.

Still picking out a separate rear cam, but have some wiring ideas already - using the cigarette 12v socket in the trunk :cool:

Last edited: