Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep Blue Metallic Model Y Picture Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PXL_20231103_220218708.jpg

Noflash how do you like driving the MYP in the Denver area? Was looking to buy one.
I love it. Wouldn't go earlier than 2023 model year. They fixed the suspension in Fall 2022. Haven't taken it to the mountains. My wife has a MYLR with CrossClimate2 tires. Without her car I'd probably charge the tires on mine, but for a few inches of snow in the city they've been fine. They are excellent when the roads are dry. Highly recommended. Also recommend at least partial PPF. Good luck!

Cool. I have been going back and forth between the LR with 20s and the Performance.
I have the MYP and I am ditching my Ubertines (21s) for a set of Induction (20s). There is not enough tire to protect the rim. I have never curbed a wheel in my life and I have curbed 3 of my 4 wheels in 6 months. If I could do it over I would go MYLR. I love the performance, but would prefer a higher ride height and the extra battery life. I wont even drive it in normal mode. I drive it in chill mode. That thing is stupid fast with the power. lol

Reactions: Noflash
Cool. I have been going back and forth between the LR with 20s and the Performance.
With the current price delta between MYP and MYLR w/Induction wheels, I think the MYP is a no-brainer. With the Induction wheels, the range difference between MYLR and MYP is probably very small, if any, but the MYP has a real advantage in acceleration. I drove a rental MYLR with Induction wheels for 4 days a couple of years ago and the consumption displayed in the car was practically identical to my MYP.

I have the MYP and I am ditching my Ubertines (21s) for a set of Induction (20s). There is not enough tire to protect the rim. I have never curbed a wheel in my life and I have curbed 3 of my 4 wheels in 6 months. If I could do it over I would go MYLR. I love the performance, but would prefer a higher ride height and the extra battery life. I wont even drive it in normal mode. I drive it in chill mode. That thing is stupid fast with the power. lol
You can curb the 20s too. Only real protection is to get wider tires, skinnier wheels, or both. All stock options are stretched tires over wide rims for aero.
I put skinnier 19s on my wife's LR and am trying to be super careful with my car. In the spring I'll have wheel-repair come to the house for some Uber-rash.

You can curb the 20s too. Only real protection is to get wider tires, skinnier wheels, or both. All stock options are stretched tires over wide rims for aero.
I put skinnier 19s on my wife's LR and am trying to be super careful with my car. In the spring I'll have wheel-repair come to the house for some Uber-rash.
I neglected to mention I'm getting 275 wide tires instead of 255 for the induction wheels.

I ordered the MYP, but keep getting notices for much cheaper LR inventory models. 7-9 cheaper.

My primary concern was the fact that the MYP comes from Fremont - but maybe this isn’t really an issue in 2024? I don’t know. I seem to find mixed answers.

If I was really concerned about the rims I would probably go with the base LR, but then I am not sure I would fully enjoy the experience. I don’t want to buy wheels etc. Just want to buy it and enjoy it.

With the sales price dropping for local inventory LRs, I could get the base for 9K less. I already drive a relatively boring Lexus GX (which I will keep until I can give it to my daughter) and wouldn’t mind something that reminds me of my old 911 Turbo, but is a little more practical.

It has been a while since I treated myself - the older
I get the more I save for the future.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Shawn

Basically my choice is a 19 inch local inventory LR for 46 before credits and taxes. Or the MYP for 54 the way I want it in blue with white interior.

If anyone has any thoughts on Fremont please feel to chime in. It looks like the quality is pretty comparable these days. Again who knows. I sure can tell from what I have read.

My priorities are:

Quality build
Fun to drive
Cool factor
Money

This will be my first EV. Thinking about solar too.

Prior to my Lexus I have had M cars (BMW) and Porsches. Even though I did enjoy modifying these cars, I don’t want to do this now. I do like the idea of getting bigger rubber and once I give my Lexus to my daughter I was thinking about staggered CrossClimate with bigger rubber or just getting dedicated winter tires/wheels.

Reactions: jsight
With the Induction wheels, the range difference between MYLR and MYP is probably very small, if any
This has been proven to not be the case by most owners. The MYP is an energy hog no matter what (even in Chill mode it finds a way to burn electricity). My MYP has a lifetime Avg Energy of 298 Wh/mi (@ 50,433mi) and that's with me swapping to an all season set of wheels in the winter and using Chill mode a lot. That takes the EPA rated range from 303mi (originally) to 257mi.

The average person's Wh/mi on the MY LR is much better. And the hit against rated range less severe.

The MYP is just too much fun and it's not designed for efficiency. It's impossible to drive it like a grandparent and achieve that 260 Wh/mi (unless your climate is always ~ 75F to 80F and pleasant, and you really baby that accelerator pedal).

This has been proven to not be the case by most owners. The MYP is an energy hog no matter what (even in Chill mode it finds a way to burn electricity). My MYP has a lifetime Avg Energy of 298 Wh/mi (@ 50,433mi) and that's with me swapping to an all season set of wheels in the winter and using Chill mode a lot. That takes the EPA rated range from 303mi (originally) to 257mi.

The average person's Wh/mi on the MY LR is much better. And the hit against rated range less severe.

The MYP is just too much fun and it's not designed for efficiency. It's impossible to drive it like a grandparent and achieve that 260 Wh/mi (unless your climate is always ~ 75F to 80F and pleasant, and you really baby that accelerator pedal).
I guess I was just going off my own experience between my MYP and the MYLR w/Induction wheels, which is admittedly a very small sample size. I was surprised to find the consumption of the MYLR w/Induction wheels to be more or less the same as my MYP with me driving it the same way. I have seen many MYLR drivers post much better consumption numbers than what I get in my MYP, which is around 295 Wh/Mi through about 54k miles, including 2.5 Minnesota winters, but I assumed that they have Gemini wheels.

Basically my choice is a 19 inch local inventory LR for 46 before credits and taxes. Or the MYP for 54 the way I want it in blue with white interior.

If anyone has any thoughts on Fremont please feel to chime in. It looks like the quality is pretty comparable these days. Again who knows. I sure can tell from what I have read.

My priorities are:

Quality build
Fun to drive
Cool factor
Money

This will be my first EV. Thinking about solar too.

Prior to my Lexus I have had M cars (BMW) and Porsches. Even though I did enjoy modifying these cars, I don’t want to do this now. I do like the idea of getting bigger rubber and once I give my Lexus to my daughter I was thinking about staggered CrossClimate with bigger rubber or just getting dedicated winter tires/wheels.
Get the MYP. The build gets better every day, but it's still a crapshoot. You get what you get, you make a couple trips to the service center, and you decide to live with the few things that don't drive you crazy.

I'm on my first Colorado winter and the Pilots have been fine. The wife's MYLR with CCS2 is the ski car.

Don't go too oversized or your speedo will be off and Tesla might blame the non-stock size if something breaks.

Good luck!