Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definitive 21inch Turbines vs 19inch Slipstream Photo Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cnasty

Jun 20, 2016
Dallas
Yea the title is a little long but as a refreshed owner with the Slipstreams I rack my brain way too much drooling over the Turbines and regret not getting them.

I have read and understand the damage opportunities, reduced range, and expensive tire replacements but hot damn they complete the S almost as much as Autopilot does!! :)

I am hoping to see some real world pictures of the Turbines and get true owner feedback after a longer period of time if they really love their Turbines or regret getting them.

I have looked into 19inch TSportline replacements but meh the Tesla Turbines have stolen my heart but I am being all smart and conventional for now.

So lets see those Turbines!

IMG_0323.jpg

Yup, can't beat the turbines. I suggest rim protection. I use the EVAnnex rim guards, but other options are out there too. Glad to have them vs. 19"s. Staggered tire/wheel set-up adds to the look and performance.

Ugh, just beautiful!!!

Do you have any confirmations of a major loss in range or did you always have the 21s and wouldnt know the wiser?

How did you decide the silver over the gray for the darker colors like black and metallic silver?

So torn on the dark grey ones versus the silver ones as well for my black S.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Reactions: RScottyL
Yup, leaning back in the gray camp again. That is my exact car and those pics have solidified it for me. I REALLY appreciate the multiple pics and angle. We have the same exact car.

Now I need to figure out where and how to buy them.

As a side note I put 52K miles on my S85D with 21's and never had any wheel / road problems. I think some of those unfortunate soles in cities with horrific roads have had major issues but after many many miles in the greater Atlanta area and some road trips I have had no problems.

^^^ Generally, I travel well condtioned roads and log lots of miles....never had a problem until LA got hit with storm after storm this past winter. Three 21s blown within a couple of months from potholes, all on passenger side. One pothole so obsure but so bad, the roadside assistance guy coming to my rescue :rolleyes: hit it and gave himself a flat too. BTW roadside is fabulous and replaces your wheel, drops your blow out at the nearest SvC, and you drop by for a new one at your convenience. (Dont expect plugs - Tesla won't do it) Priceless service for me.

Anyway, I remain undeterred, and have 22s on my X. Black on Black. Love them too.
Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cnasty
^^^ Generally, I travel well condtioned roads and log lots of miles....never had a problem until LA got hit with storm after storm this past winter. Three 21s blown within a couple of months from potholes, all on passenger side. One pothole so obsure but so bad, the roadside assistance guy coming to my rescue :rolleyes: hit it and gave himself a flat too. BTW roadside is fabulous and replaces your wheel, drops your blow out at the nearest SvC, and you drop by for a new one at your convenience. (Dont expect plugs - Tesla won't do it) Priceless service for me.

Anyway, I remain undeterred, and have 22s on my X. Black on Black. Love them too.
Good luck with your decision.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I live in the DFW area and our roads are known to be some of the worst in the country so that has been in the back of my mind. With that being said, that can happen with any tire and yes it is maximized on a low profile but I think its a risk I am willing to take as my S is just missing....something.

I think these wheels complete the car so much better and the dark gray on the black looks amazing to me.

Ha ha! Enjoy your new rims. Either color will look great. According to my girlfriend, dark rims are badass and silver rims are classy. Chicks like silver and guys like dark. Note, I got the silver!
Beautiful car, thanks for sharing.

I wanted this color, wife wanted black. In negotiating in getting this car with her, she can have any color she wants if I got to own one. She wins :)

Reactions: Cnasty
Ha ha! Enjoy your new rims. Either color will look great. According to my girlfriend, dark rims are badass and silver rims are classy. Chicks like silver and guys like dark. Note, I got the silver!

You know what, I showed my wife the cars in this thread and asked her what do you like better...the silver or the dark gray. Immediately said silver and said it just looks "fancy" lol.

I said yea, no I am getting the black ones as I want it to look nasty!!!!

She said thats fine, but on my Model 3 I am getting silver.

Too funny.

P85+ staggered. 25K rear, 35K front. Lots of stop & go commute mileage. Pilot Sports.

Great question as I wondered this as well as I see horror stories of new tires every single year and only getting 11k on the square set ups. That seems rather excessive to me.

I am a lot of in city driving for my commute but do get some highway miles when I travel of course but 80/20 if you will.

This makes me feel a tad better.