Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Definitive 21inch Turbines vs 19inch Slipstream Photo Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit a pothole today with my 21" turbine. Gotta flat. Bummer. But I have to say, Tesla Roadside assistance was top notch in taking care of it. The wait was under an hour during rush hour in San Francisco. Reasonable. The guy showed up with the "loaner" Tesla wheel and tire and I was on my way. The SC will repair it. Stay tuned if there is rim or tire damage that will cost $$. But so far okay. 1st issue in 2 1/2 years of ownership. Still think the 21s are worth it.

BTW recent YouTube video of a guy hitting a pothole with his 19" and got a flat. Looks pretty bad. Nothing like mine today.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Anyone following the thread split the difference with the 20 inch turbines from T Sportline? I've been heavily considering it and just going back and forth for matte or gloss black.

Here are the T Sportline 20" Staggered, 9.5" front 10.5" rear.

Reactions: Nick B and Cnasty
I spent the weekend adding one more feature to my 21" wheels... that is red brake calipers! This was a pretty big job, the hardest part of it was figuring out how to get the car up on 4 jackstands without those expensive special jackstands. Here is the result...

brakes.jpg

I spent the weekend adding one more feature to my 21" wheels... that is red brake calipers! This was a pretty big job, the hardest part of it was figuring out how to get the car up on 4 jackstands without those expensive special jackstands. Here is the result...

View attachment 225175

not to derail this thread but you stenciled your calipers upside down! the wording should be facing in and not out, but to each their own :)

Anyone following the thread split the difference with the 20 inch turbines from T Sportline? I've been heavily considering it and just going back and forth for matte or gloss black.
For me the 20" Sportlines were a nice compromise between the very nice looking (but less practical) 21" factory turbines and the 19s (which I don't care for). I've had them 1 year and have been happy with them.
IMG_6363 3.jpg

Reactions: OBX John
Beautiful car, thanks for sharing.

I wanted this color, wife wanted black. In negotiating in getting this car with her, she can have any color she wants if I got to own one. She wins :)
I D
Ha ha! Enjoy your new rims. Either color will look great. According to my girlfriend, dark rims are badass and silver rims are classy. Chicks like silver and guys like dark. Note, I got the silver!

Funny I didn't want this color my wife liked it as we had it for an overnight test drive, she doesn't want black. I want Black but looking at @timvracer pic has made me change my mind!!!

Yea the title is a little long but as a refreshed owner with the Slipstreams I rack my brain way too much drooling over the Turbines and regret not getting them.

I have read and understand the damage opportunities, reduced range, and expensive tire replacements but hot damn they complete the S almost as much as Autopilot does!! :)

I am hoping to see some real world pictures of the Turbines and get true owner feedback after a longer period of time if they really love their Turbines or regret getting them.

I have looked into 19inch TSportline replacements but meh the Tesla Turbines have stolen my heart but I am being all smart and conventional for now.

So lets see those Turbines!
LOve my turbines!!! Really make the car look fab!!

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 199
Beautiful deep blue on grey w/red calipers.
I can't say enough that she's a beauty.
15 months later we still get people taking pics or coming up to the car!

We have 19's for fall/winter but they completely chnaage the look.

Bias: blue one of the hottest colours for this car :)

Attachments

• IMG_5399.jpg
    IMG_5399.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5400.jpg
    IMG_5400.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: s00nr1 and Cnasty
Wow that blue really pops with the gray turbines. Beautiful ride.

Since my S is black, I think I will make sure the calipers are painted as well to break up the darkness a tad.Not sure which color to go with but the red and black combo looks pretty damn nice.

I bought a set of turbine style rims for my winter tires and when it came time recently to change back to my summer rims and tires I couldn't go back to the stock Tesla rims so I bought another set of the turbine ones. I went with 19" (for range and less potential damage) from an established Canadian wheel company, and they were under $200 Canadian a wheel (about $150 US).

Replika :: R187

About Us | Replika

9242016121356.jpg

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

Last edited:
I picked up my new model s with 19” slipstreams in September and have been enjoying the compliant ride. My car is in for service and I have a loaner with the 21” wheels. Hands down these are the best looking wheel for the model s. I think they even look better than the arachnids.

On 21” wheels the ride is definatley noisier and harsher - at first I didn’t like it as it reminded me of my previously heavly modified car. After taking my neibours for a few rides, they commented on how smooth it was and surprisingly compliant with sporty handling on the 21” (they didn’t ride in my car yet with the 19” wheels ).

The 21” turbines are also really heavy. I think the arachnid set up save 7-10 pounds per wheel of unstrung weight which is significant.

I have arachnids on the way so I will definately now keep them for the summer but will use the 19” for my long road trips (ie Toronto to Florida, or to Palo Alto.

Tesla designed a stunning OEM 21” turbine wheel that’s hard to beat asthetically.

Last edited:
The 21” turbines are also really heavy. I think the arachnid set up save 7-10 pounds per wheel of unstrung weight which is significant.

I have arachnids on the way so I will definately now keep them for the summer but will use the 19” for my long road trips (ie Toronto to Florida, or to Palo Alto.

Tesla designed a stunning OEM 21” turbine wheel that’s hard to beat asthetically.

Not only are the Arachnids lighter then the 21" turbine but the 19" wheels as well!!

I also kept my 19s for trips, it makes a nice difference on range!