TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Definitive 21inch Turbines vs 19inch Slipstream Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Cnasty, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

#41 Blu Zap, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Hit a pothole today with my 21" turbine. Gotta flat. Bummer. But I have to say, Tesla Roadside assistance was top notch in taking care of it. The wait was under an hour during rush hour in San Francisco. Reasonable. The guy showed up with the "loaner" Tesla wheel and tire and I was on my way. The SC will repair it. Stay tuned if there is rim or tire damage that will cost $$. But so far okay. 1st issue in 2 1/2 years of ownership. Still think the 21s are worth it.

BTW recent YouTube video of a guy hitting a pothole with his 19" and got a flat. Looks pretty bad. Nothing like mine today.

2. mobe

mobe Member

image.jpeg
    Here are the T Sportline 20" Staggered, 9.5" front 10.5" rear.

• Like x 2
  3. timvracer

timvracer Member

I spent the weekend adding one more feature to my 21" wheels... that is red brake calipers! This was a pretty big job, the hardest part of it was figuring out how to get the car up on 4 jackstands without those expensive special jackstands. Here is the result...

brakes.jpg

4. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

IMG_3295.JPG

21" Turbines on our 2015 P85D

• Like x 2
  5. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

not to derail this thread but you stenciled your calipers upside down! the wording should be facing in and not out, but to each their own :)

6. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

21" Grey Turbines on Pearl White P85D.

IMG_0835.JPG IMG_0837.JPG

• Like x 1
  7. timvracer

timvracer Member

Doh!
    Easily fixed. The good news is I got it right on the fronts, thanks for the heads up though!

8. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Active Member

For me the 20" Sportlines were a nice compromise between the very nice looking (but less practical) 21" factory turbines and the 19s (which I don't care for). I've had them 1 year and have been happy with them.
    IMG_6363 3.jpg

• Like x 1
  9. scharlesjr

scharlesjr Member

I D
    Funny I didn't want this color my wife liked it as we had it for an overnight test drive, she doesn't want black. I want Black but looking at @timvracer pic has made me change my mind!!!

10. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

LOve my turbines!!! Really make the car look fab!!

Attached Files:

11. linusschon

linusschon New Member

Great pics, does someone have 21" turbines with coil suspension? would like to see the hight diff!

12. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

Beautiful deep blue on grey w/red calipers.
    I can't say enough that she's a beauty.
    15 months later we still get people taking pics or coming up to the car!

We have 19's for fall/winter but they completely chnaage the look.

Bias: blue one of the hottest colours for this car :)

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  13. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Wow that blue really pops with the gray turbines. Beautiful ride.

Since my S is black, I think I will make sure the calipers are painted as well to break up the darkness a tad.Not sure which color to go with but the red and black combo looks pretty damn nice.

14. cab

cab Member

You guys make me want to put my 21s back on...

15. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

I hopefully have a deal in place with a local Texas Tesla lover for my first set of Turbines and I am ecstatic!

16. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#56 Canuck, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    I bought a set of turbine style rims for my winter tires and when it came time recently to change back to my summer rims and tires I couldn't go back to the stock Tesla rims so I bought another set of the turbine ones. I went with 19" (for range and less potential damage) from an established Canadian wheel company, and they were under $200 Canadian a wheel (about $150 US).

Replika :: R187

About Us | Replika

9242016121356.jpg

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

17. Ditto

Ditto Model S75D 2016 AP1

This is awesome, exactly the picture I was looking for! I am definitely buying those R187 for my Midnight silver tesla! If you have more pics feel free to share!

18. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

Ill just leave this here...

19. 2cati

2cati Member

#59 2cati, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    I picked up my new model s with 19” slipstreams in September and have been enjoying the compliant ride. My car is in for service and I have a loaner with the 21” wheels. Hands down these are the best looking wheel for the model s. I think they even look better than the arachnids.

On 21” wheels the ride is definatley noisier and harsher - at first I didn’t like it as it reminded me of my previously heavly modified car. After taking my neibours for a few rides, they commented on how smooth it was and surprisingly compliant with sporty handling on the 21” (they didn’t ride in my car yet with the 19” wheels ).

The 21” turbines are also really heavy. I think the arachnid set up save 7-10 pounds per wheel of unstrung weight which is significant.

I have arachnids on the way so I will definately now keep them for the summer but will use the 19” for my long road trips (ie Toronto to Florida, or to Palo Alto.

Tesla designed a stunning OEM 21” turbine wheel that’s hard to beat asthetically.

20. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

Not only are the Arachnids lighter then the 21" turbine but the 19" wheels as well!!

I also kept my 19s for trips, it makes a nice difference on range!