TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Definitive 21inch Turbines vs 19inch Slipstream Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Cnasty, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

Wow... I killed my 19" tires in 14k pilot sport 3 :D

• Like x 1
  2. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Here's my black S when I had the grey Turbines on it for reference. Definitely one of my favorite combos

IMG_1028.jpg

3. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Absolutely stunning!!

You used the past tense, did you go to the 19s or something else and why?

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

While losing 3 to pot holes in just a couple of months, (13K, 3K and 1K ouch!!), the driver side tires were just shy of 18K, and as of Feb 17, registered as below. The Tesla tech thought I'd get close to 30K on them if I can stay away from potholes. [21" ContiSilents staggered, mostly @ over-the-top-speed highway miles :D ] Generally good roads and good weather here.

- Checked for active faults: No active faults found (2/17/2017).
    - Checked firmware version: Staged to Updated latest version 8.0 (17.6.15)
    - Inspected the 12V positive jump post.
    - Topped off washer fluid.
    - Torqued wheels to 175 NM
    - Adjusted tire pressure to: 45 PSI front, 45 PSI rear.
    - Measured tire tread depth at:
    (Outer) (Center) (Inner)
    LF: 8/32 8/32 8/32
    RF: 10/32 10/32 10/32
    LR: 8/32 8/32 8/32
    RR: 8/32 8/32 8/32

5. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Goodness!!

6. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Yep, awful, but no regrets except when standing in the rain staring at another blow. :mad:
    Otherwise, love them.

7. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

If/when I get these I think I will take the highway more as the city roads around Dallas are just littered with landmines!

8. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

My 2013 - with paint protection...

upload_2017-4-20_11-55-11.png

• Like x 2
  9. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Hot damn!

I will never grow tired of looking at pics of these cars with these wheels.

• Like x 1
  10. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Someone asked. My lifetime use on my 85D with 21's was 333Wh/mile. My shiny new 100D is showing almost exactly the same so far. Daily commute for 95% of my use is 93 miles on an expressway traveling 75mph routinely. If traffic sux and I am slowed to say 60 or even slower it averages 280Wh/mile. However my 52k never reset odometer on my recently sold S85D was 333 lifetime

11. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

My lifetime right now since ownership began in August is 292 and its mostly city driving with the occasional highway need for work. I have a S60.

12. marty2112

marty2112 Member

Grey - Modern/aggressive
    Silver - Classic

I'm going down both paths. The Arachnids (referral) will be silver...

IMG_0034.JPG Silver Arachnid.png

• Like x 1
  13. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Not a big fan of the arachnid look but I am a big fan of your garage and its sweet set up...minus that ugly crocodile thingy on the cabinet. ;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. gopassgas

gopassgas Member

I had the 21" silver turbines on my previous MS and loved the look. I feel like I went through tires very, very frequently, though...I think over 4 years I was on my 5th set of tires. And the 21" tires were often out of stock (I'm in Tesla's backyard and was told that the Tesla factory sucked up most of the local inventory) and obviously more expensive. Curb rash was an issue for me, but that speaks more directly to my driving ability.

For my second MS, I stuck with the 19" slipstreams. The ride is definitely smoother and quieter with possibly a touch worse handling noticeable to me. I'm really hoping that I get more than 10-15k miles per set of 19" tires. But I do miss the turbines and the look of the whole car with the turbines. I got my 19" slipstreams powdercoated to a magnetic gray similar to the 21" gray turbines. I think it works to make the wheel look bigger and better looking along the lines of the 21" turbines. Have a look:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like x 3
  15. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

#35 Cricket88, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Went aftermarket but stayed with 21"s. I like the proportion of the 21"s on the long wheelbase and profile of our cars

• Like x 1
  16. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Great looking ride! Its just something about the slipstreams I do not like. I actually like the former 5 star spoke stock Tesla rims more even. Personal preference I think. I feel its the thickness of the actual rim metal and not enough opening for my preference.

17. cab

cab Member

Went from the silver 21s to the 19" slipstreams. I does make me a bit sad to see the 21s just sitting there with new tires no less, but PS2s are noisy (the Contisilents or new PSS with sound deadening foam are quieter) and they ride a bit rougher (though not that bad really). As to gray vs silver. I like the gray in the "right" light, but MOST of the time they are in shadow of some kind (even worse at night) and then you lose all the contrast and they sort of disappear...I see this with all cars that have dark rims these days. You can get a feel for this in the random post here I just found:

Color selection poll

18. Screwbal

Screwbal Member

Anyone following the thread split the difference with the 20 inch turbines from T Sportline? I've been heavily considering it and just going back and forth for matte or gloss black.

19. marty2112

marty2112 Member

Hah! Thanks for the comment about the garage.

20. ACExpress

ACExpress Member

I'm also a DFW resident (and crappy road aficionado). After delivery, I swapped out my OEM slipstreams for the graphite Rial Lugano OE caps. After putting the original tires on the new wheels and selling the slipstreams, I was out about $150.

Like you, I really wanted the grey turbines, but the horror stories had me spooked. While I don't think what I have looks as good as the 21s, it's a worthy substitute for me on the roads of Dallas. The 21s and future tire and wheel replacement costs are simply not worth it to me. It sounds like they might be worth it to you.

In addition, I had a loaner with the 21s last week, and the ride was noticeably worse (coming from someone who doesn't pay that close attention to the ride).

Here's my baby...

Attached Files: