Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - DeFuniak Springs, FL (I-10 between Tallahassee & Pensacola)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is it turning into a ghost town?
No, not "turning into...". It has been ghastly since the beginning unless you're lucky enough to be there while Bogies is open. When I have been there nothing has been open and there has been nearly zero traffic. I say nearly because a young man on a bicycle did once pass by a couple streets away.

• Informative
Reactions: ldgrmnmc
smil3193, Thanks for the hotel review, I was contemplating staying there and now will feel comfortable planning on it. Would you care to share how you made the trip from BR to Defuniak without a supercharger in between? I would like to visit my brother in Dallas but have been waiting for the Mobile SpC.

Not sure if the Hotel is still open.....I may pass by there tonight and will report....
Future uncertain for Hotel DeFuniak (PHOTOS)

Unfortunately the hotel has closed. Last time I was in the area I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just off the interstate.

There is a little coffee shop not far from the supercharger, Java Shack on 9th Street, but the hours are limited: open Mon-Fri 7-5 and Saturday 8-4. Really good coffee though.

Also, Bogey's Restaurant, that used to be on the ground floor of the Hotel Defuniak, has reopened in a new location at the corner of Baldwin Avenue and 6th Street. I have not been to the new location but really enjoyed it when it was still at the hotel. I believe it has the same owners (they sold the hotel but kept the restaurant) so it's probably still good. According to their website it's open for lunch Tuesday-Friday from 11am-2pm and dinner Tuesday-Saturday starting at 5pm.

Last edited:
Also, Bogey's Restaurant, that used to be on the ground floor of the Hotel Defuniak, has reopened in a new location at the corner of Baldwin Avenue and 6th Street. I have not been to the new location but really enjoyed it when it was still at the hotel. I believe it has the same owners (they sold the hotel but kept the restaurant) so it's probably still good. According to their website it's open for lunch Tuesday-Friday from 11am-2pm and dinner Tuesday-Saturday starting at 5pm.

We plan to go eat there in the fall when we can sit outside on the deck, but I have several people who have mentioned food is excellent.

Java Shack is surprisingly good and the shrimp & grits at Bogey's put a smile in my stomach.

DeFuniak Springs Supercharger | Chargerville

Towns like this do well outside of the US even in areas with a similar density. But other countries have good rail networks so people can enjoy living in a smaller town and easily take a train to larger cities for work, shopping, or eating. Mobile, Montgomery, and Tallahassee would all be about a 80-90 minute train ride on normal trains and less than an hr on high-speed.

Last edited:
Hi all. Just a heads up regarding this supercharger. I'm not sure this is the safest area late at night. We stopped here around 11:15PM tonight and after getting back in the car from plugging in, we noticed several people in dark clothes were walking around. Most kept about their own business but we decided to end the charge early when we noticed a person slowly walking directly towards us. By the time we unplugged and were driving off the person was fairly close and started waving his hands and shouting.

Anyway, like I said, just a heads up. Be safe while charging!

Quaint historical small town. Others have commented in the Tesla Supercharger App that there is no place to eat and the area is "sketchy". Nothing could be further from the truth. Typical southern small town. Very friendly. Great food spot (Corner Cafe) 3 blocks away. See my post of 2 pages of menu. Very affordable & friendly. 3 meals a day. Several other places on map at the Chargers.

Quaint historical small town. Others have commented in the Tesla Supercharger App that there is no place to eat and the area is "sketchy". Nothing could be further from the truth. Typical southern small town. Very friendly. Great food spot (Corner Cafe) 3 blocks away. See my post of 2 pages of menu. Very affordable & friendly. 3 meals a day. Several other places on map at the Chargers.
I'm sorry but I don't agree, there is little open in the immediate area, I know because I walked it and after hours the place is eerily quiet, it is one of the few locations I wished that I could avoid.

• Disagree
Reactions: ReddykwRun
Daytime when things are open it's a great southern small town example. Nighttime can get eerie and some riff raff walking around, not comforting as a sitting duck. I know the town well, I live in Destin which is 45 min away, and there is definitely some riff raff in that area. Just be mindful of your surroundings at night here, that's all.

• Disagree
Just had two stops at Defuniak on my way from FWB to Tampa and back. The return trip had me arriving at 10p on Sunday, I called the police dept and they sent a very nice officer to do a "drive by check". He stayed and chatted for the duration of the charge which made my stop much more comfortable. the chargers are next to an empty lot and two abandoned buildings, so I was a bit worried as a solo women driver at that hour of the night. Will repeat this option if I have to stop again at night! The non emergency number for the Defuniak police is on the Tesla sign at the charging station.

Just had two stops at Defuniak on my way from FWB to Tampa and back. The return trip had me arriving at 10p on Sunday, I called the police dept and they sent a very nice officer to do a "drive by check". He stayed and chatted for the duration of the charge which made my stop much more comfortable. the chargers are next to an empty lot and two abandoned buildings, so I was a bit worried as a solo women driver at that hour of the night. Will repeat this option if I have to stop again at night! The non emergency number for the Defuniak police is on the Tesla sign at the charging station.
Hi Denise,

Welcome to the forums.

So what great eating establishments do you have to recommend at 10 pm? ;)

Larry

Ha! That's funny! I actually had a Clif bar. For those who would like a restroom break and some java, the options are Burger King, Arby's and a Sonic. But they are about 3 miles from the charging station, close to I-10, so you'll make two stops there if you need to charge both human and car batteries.

The decision to locate the SuC at the present location could have been influenced by the fact that DeFuniak Springs is the county capital for Walton County FL which stretches from the Gulf of Mexico and was probably sited here to get away from the hurricanes.
This N/S Hwy331 has been rebuilt recently along with the other N/Shwy79 routes as hurricane evacuation routes.

Rather than build offices in DeFuniak Springs, county government decided a while ago to build annexes further south 50 miles away to handle county business.

I agree that a location off I-10 onto 331 would better handle the transient traffic going to and from superchargers.

I was at this Supercharger at the end of September and got into town at around 9PM on a Friday night. it was by far the worst location for a SC that I've ever visited (40+ now). Nothing around was open and nothing around even looked like it had been open in a while. We finally ended up getting back in the car, driving the 3 miles to get some fast food then going back to the SC to finish the charge. Plan accordingly as there is almost nothing around this location for services.

Stopped there on the 11th OCT 2017 3pm and picked up 100mi range.

Stayed with the car for the 22min that it took as we had cats with us.

What I think is the DeFuniack Springs Hotel est 1903 was under some serious renovation judging for the noise emanating.
No signage to indicate what will be there once refurbishing is done.