Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delay in model X launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious question, what legal footing does Tesla have to make such a request to redact the OP's post? Or did TMC comply simply to be, or maintain being, a good partner with Tesla?

Jeff

Terms of service say you can't post "inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements". I think when it comes to removal they listen to Tesla.

I just question the timing of this. It is now known after the fact this was inside information that was left up for almost three weeks.

There are some very simple explanations, all quite plausible and no reason for any of us to be too concerned:

1. As noted previously and elsewhere, the OP had inadvertently identified himself. So on a very basic level, as more attention has been focused on this, it's highly likely that he needed his posts deleted to save his job. It's also possible the OP already lost his job and would now like the posts to vanish anyway. It was pretty dumb to do this in the first place but he didn't kill anyone, and he doesn't need a life sentence for a mistake on a car forum.
  2. The OP shared his view of the world and it's clear today that some of that was wrong or exaggerated. It made some suggestions as to Tesla's motives as well as indicating insider info that delays were far worse than was being admitted. With the latest information it's clear that this is not the case and may actually have led to unnecessary questioning at the CC yesterday. It is then more than plausible that Tesla also indicated that this supposed insider info was causing them work.
  3. With the OP and Tesla both requesting deletion of the posts, I'm sure it was a tough decision for the site owners (don't blame the mods, they're just doing their job) but if I was were looking at a situation where I could help someone who made a mistake and oblige the company by deleting info that was clearly wrong in many respects, I know what decision I would make.

I think it's time to let this thread go to sleep.

Yeah, that one made sense, assuming those were Tesla-proprietary renderings. I'm just not sure of the reasoning in this thread. I certainly think it's appropriate for moderators to redact proprietary information.

Given suppliers/arrangements are often confidential and subject to NDA, that's likely a valid reason for Tesla to request it be removed, similar to the CAD renderings I referred to.

I think with the latest turn of events, it is obvious Eds was indeed more right than some will ever admit. Of course the usual people will downplay it and TMC has an ear on Tesla the company. That is as unfortunate as it is unnecessary, but it is what it is.

I tend to agree with AnOutsider that we as a community should stop pouncing on leaksters and critical posters as much, because after too many of these actually being real, we just look naive. Too many Tesla rumors have been denied vocally and turned out to be from real sources. It does not reflect well on the TMC community.

Why not keep a bit more open mind? Please.

Not to worry though, Internet never forgets so Eds claims can be continued to be checked down the road as things unfold. As we should. Cosmacelf did a good job at separating Eds' info claims from his/her conjecture/speculation, so we also get to see if his/her conclusions were as accurate as his/her supplier info now seems to be (based on the conference call).

- - - Updated - - -

Given suppliers/arrangements are often confidential and subject to NDA, that's likely a valid reason for Tesla to request it be removed, similar to the CAD renderings I referred to.

CAD is under copyright, though. That is intellectual property. It was understandable.

This removal may be under TOS, but I see no legal requirement for it. I wonder what the history is for that TOS clause and what are its motivations.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically I'm saying just there was no announcement of a new delay and time for this thread to die peacefully.

Eds point, though, never seemed to be a delay in starting, he/she claimed a delay in ramp-up with <100 customer deliveries in 2015 as well as a delay in some production parts (replaced with prototype parts). Eds claim was Tesla will work for an appearance of successful launch, even though it would be on a much smaller scale than intended (and expected) originally.

In the conference call Tesla took their unit guidance lower limit 5000 down, which would at least fit with the possibility that they fear delivering less Model X than before.

Of course Eds made future conjecture there with the <100 number. From Elon's "critical path" speech and talk of some components still possibly being redesigned, it seems to me Tesla is hopeful they can ship more but don't know for sure - and Eds claim was Tesla will create the appearance of a successful launch no matter what.

We shall see how much of Eds future-looking views turn out to be correct and how much not. After the latest, though, I have very little doubt this conjecture is based on insider info. Maybe hallway banter and who knows even a common opinion amongst Tesla supplier chain, but that doesn't mean Eds of course would have been privy to all pertinent info.

Actually Eds original post says redacted per users request, the others say per Tesla request. At least that's what is says now, who knows what it'll say in 10 minutes.

This kinda reminds me of something ... Orwellian...

Now most say deleted per user's request and the major message at the start of the thread is deleted entirely.

What a weird, weird thing.

...if I was were looking at a situation where I could help someone who made a mistake and oblige the company by deleting info that was clearly wrong in many respects, I know what decision I would make.

I think it's time to let this thread go to sleep.

Sorry, have to strongly disagree. TMC should be independent of Tesla and allow for an open discussion, no matter how critical of the company. Thinking about Tesla being involved in removing information has a very bad smell of censorship to me. If it was just wrong information, a Tesla official could just have identified himself and posted credible information (as it has happened before) refuting the OP and everyone would have believed that official info.

If it was indeed Tesla who requested original post to be deleted, it is perfect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Big time for my own view of Tesla. Tesla has been a company doing many things differently in a positive way over the years, but that really damages my feeling here.

If Tesla has been lying about the Model X launch and ramp plans (i.e. if the orginal statement here of only a few hundred delivered in 2015 holds true) they will take heavy flack for it... in due time. However, I understand that if Tesla is facing a supply or production issue now, that could, but not necessarily will, affect the launch and ramp, they don't want it publically discussed yet. They are, after all, a publically traded company.

If Tesla has been lying about the Model X launch and ramp plans (i.e. if the orginal statement here of only a few hundred delivered in 2015 holds true) they will take heavy flack for it... in due time. However, I understand that if Tesla is facing a supply or production issue now, that could, but not necessarily will, affect the launch and ramp, they don't want it publically discussed yet. They are, after all, a publically traded company.

This site AFAIK is not owned or endorsed by Tesla Motors. I have thought that this is independent message board.

Disclaimer; I don't know, whether Tesla had anything to do with removing of OP.

I think Tesla seemed quite open and honest in the investor call, as they should be. As a publicly traded company they need to disclose changes with material effect, hence 5000 less in projections range for the year.

That said, censoring Eds is a completely unrelated matter. I agree with hobbes, TMC and TMC community should not put weight on what Tesla the company "wants discussed". That would be subservient and limit useful content.

The interests of Tesla the company and its customers don't always align - and that's okay. But I would hope TMC is a conduit to the latter group's interests, not the former's.

This site AFAIK is not owned or endorsed by Tesla Motors. I have thought that this is independent message board.

Disclaimer; I don't know, whether Tesla had anything to do with removing of OP.

I think it needs to be noted there is a fairly vocal pro-Tesla the company contingent on TMC, hence the site has a fairly high tendency of self-censorship/editorializing as well (the continuously changing topics one main example). So hard to say how much Tesla the company affects things in general - or how little.

It does not reflect well on the TMC community.

Why not keep a bit more open mind? Please.

Not to worry though, Internet never forgets so Eds claims can be continued to be checked down the road as things unfold. As we should.

This is not Watergate or some massive conspiracy. The OP has already been shown to be wrong or exaggerated in some things, the rest is more medium-term. If it's true then public laundry washing is going to hurt the supplier/customer relationship and probably cost him his job. If it's false then it's probably going to cost him his job.

Long and repetitive checking of this is going to hurt the OP; that's hardly likely to encourage more insider info that you'd like to have an open mind about.

Making this bigger than it is does not reflect well on the TMC community IMO.

This is not Watergate or some massive conspiracy. The OP has already been shown to be wrong or exaggerated in some things, the rest is more medium-term. If it's true then public laundry washing is going to hurt the supplier/customer relationship and probably cost him his job. If it's false then it's probably going to cost him his job.

Long and repetitive checking of this is going to hurt the OP; that's hardly likely to encourage more insider info that you'd like to have an open mind about.

Making this bigger than it is does not reflect well on the TMC community IMO.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree on the rest, but one question: Where has OP shown to be wrong or exaggerated? Just to be clear on what you refer to.