Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delayed delivery experience (due to being unavailable during delivery window)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@samw

I'm not sure what I'll do but it looks like your situation is a lot less complicated than mine. I didn't realize the wait for M3LR was so short!

The way I see it my options are this, in order of likelihood:
  1. Take delivery in 2021:
    1. Price discounted by $5.5k
    2. Sell 2018 M3LR for elevated resale value
    3. Immediate delivery
    4. Possible loss of $8k tax credit
  2. Delay until 2022, no EV tax credit:
    2. Sell 2018 M3LR for elevated resale value
    3. Less immediate delivery
    4. More torture
  3. Delay until 2022, EV tax credit passed:
    2. Tax credit of $8k
    3. Sell 2018 M3LR for reduced resale value due to tax credit (~$5k?)
    4. Less immediate delivery
  4. Cancel current order, order for delivery in 2022, EV tax credit passed:
    1. Lose order with $5.5k discount
    2. Tax credit of $8k
    3. Sell 2018 M3LR for (very) reduced resale value due to tax credit (~$5k-$10k?) and long delay
    4. Wait forever for delivery in November 2022
I've given up on trying to time all of the upcoming upgrades because the financial math becomes a lot more complicated. Maybe if MYLR values stay high I can trade up to a newer version but that's a whole new round of mental torture to come. Unfortunately, I think that the MYLR will finally take some resale value hit in 2022 due to a extensive list of coming upgrades, despite the long wait times:
  • Tax credit on new vehicles
  • 4680 cells
  • Front/Rear casting
  • New Ryzen CPU
  • New paint options, likely better quality
  • Rear acoustic glass
  • Li-on 12v battery
  • etc.
Why not hedge your bet and order new one (#3), but wait to cancel your current order until you get a solid delivery date after 1/1 AND better assurance that BBB will survive in a way that you get the credit. You would only be out the $250, but stand to gain up to 8K.

Why not hedge your bet and order new one (#3), but wait to cancel your current order until you get a solid delivery date after 1/1 AND better assurance that BBB will survive in a way that you get the credit. You would only be out the $250, but stand to gain up to 8K.
I'm considering it but honestly, I just want to be done with this process. The thought of having to cancel my current order and waiting until November 2022 is pretty painful.

Folks, if you delay your delivery and they give away your initial vin to someone else, does your price change?

Here's my Thought process. I'm thinking I may opt to wait for a car with the new batteries. If I get my vin and I want To pass on it, I want to ensure that when I'm ready I'd be paying the price I have locked.

Is that what would happen? When I ordered my date was August, now it went to May.

Folks, if you delay your delivery and they give away your initial vin to someone else, does your price change?

Here's my Thought process. I'm thinking I may opt to wait for a car with the new batteries. If I get my vin and I want To pass on it, I want to ensure that when I'm ready I'd be paying the price I have locked.

Is that what would happen? When I ordered my date was August, now it went to May.
No, your price is locked in and can only drop if Tesla lowers prices. You are not subject to any price increases after you place your order.

However, I think you misunderstand the process. You can delay your delivery by asking to go on hold. You only have a certain amount of time you can go on hold but this is your best option. If you get a VIN, you are not delaying, you are rejecting the VIN. Once you are assigned a VIN and reject, your clock starts ticking. When another VIN is available and assigned to you (could be a week, could be a month later) then you have to accept that or Tesla will cancel your order and keep your order fee.

In your case of wanting 4680, you will need to ask to be put on hold as long as you can and hope they are shipping 100% 4680s to Toronto when your hold ends (maybe as much as 6 months). If you are 2 months out in the order window now, you wold enter the same when you come off hold so that could buy you as much as 8 months, plus an additional month or two if you reject the first VIN but then you would be locked in to the second one no matter what features it has or doesn't have.

In short, you can maybe buy yourself 8 months if you call your SA and ask for you order to be put on hold. And your price will stay the same.

• Informative
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Excellent! Thank you for the detailed explanation. The followup questions though
1) how does one know if their car has the 4680 batteries
2) is it worth the wait?
There are different lift points with the structural battery. And the normal practice of taking a picture of the front battery label should be different since the battery packaging should be different. It is likely this will be something searchable on the SA's system but you may just have to find out when it shows up. And with the small numbers maybe being made, there is no guarantee that each shipment will be 100% 4680 until Tesla confirms something to the effect.

No one knows. Tesla wants 4680 to save money. They don't really care if the car is better just that it stays the same and saves them money. General concensus is without a new model, a LR AWD 4680 MY will have similar range and performance. Maybe a bit different feel driving due to stiffer structure and lighter battery. So if you have test driven one recently and like it, there is 0 reason to wait. Enjoy the car as it is now. Or wait and hope you have at least the same experience. With the recent EPA testing being released showing a 279 mile variant, there is a risk the 4680 version will be different, and not in a good way.