Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delaying Delivery of Model S / Waiting until other options become available

Waiting Until 2013 instead of taking your earlier delivery option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've waited this long, what's another year?

Man, it's killing me thinking about having to wait three more months! I'm S802 and I should delay long enough to get a 60kwh green model S. Like others, this will be far more expensive than any car I've ever bought and it's going to hurt. But if they tell me I have to wait another six months to save $30K to get the configuration I should get, or even if I have to wait three or four months extra to get an 85kwh model S configured down $20K from Sig, I will probably just suck it up, get the Sig and try to trade down for 19" wheels when regular S models start to ship. Ramen noodle picnics in the frunk all over town will comprise the totality of my entertainment budget for the foreseeable future.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one going to be waiting strictly due to finances. :)

I'm needing to save for awhile for this guy. I may just get to the point to where I save enough for the 85kwh, but I think the 60kwh is already over kill for me. I wish they had a cost for the Super Charger, that's kind of annoying me. Has anyone heard if the SuperCharger can be installed after the purchase?

Tesla recommends to install all charging related equipment right at production of the vehicle. They said that installing a second charger afterwards is possible, though. It is clear that these must be accessible since they might need repairs/replacement in case of failure.
We know that the supercharger option consists of hardware and software, but from there on it's all speculation. Beefier cabling? Big ass contactor? Can they be retrofitted? No one knows yet outside of Tesla.

Onlinespending: I doubt you'll see "heavily discounted" Model S on the secondary market any time soon. I predict more of a Prius-style market, with high demand for at least a few years. However, your other reasons for delaying purchase all make sense, if it's not a gotta-have-it-now item for you.

Is anyone getting the 45Kwh vehicle? I would assume so. I am really thinking about it as my daily commute is 20 miles round trip and I never leave my city. Saving 10k is pretty appealing but I would really like the super charger and having the car a small bit faster doesn't hurt either.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one going to be waiting strictly due to finances. :)

I'm needing to save for awhile for this guy. I may just get to the point to where I save enough for the 85kwh, but I think the 60kwh is already over kill for me. I wish they had a cost for the Super Charger, that's kind of annoying me. Has anyone heard if the SuperCharger can be installed after the purchase?

That's the only thing I'm on the fence about (assuming stock price doesn't go up before I write the check).

But I won't defer my purchase as I'm interested in the increased safety Model S provides in a crash as much, or even more, than I'm interested in making a statement about oil.

Is anyone getting the 45Kwh vehicle? I would assume so. I am really thinking about it as my daily commute is 20 miles round trip and I never leave my city. Saving 10k is pretty appealing but I would really like the super charger and having the car a small bit faster doesn't hurt either.

If you never leave your ciry then you don't need supercharging.

That's the only thing I'm on the fence about (assuming stock price doesn't go up before I write the check).

But I won't defer my purchase as I'm interested in the increased safety Model S provides in a crash as much, or even more, than I'm interested in making a statement about oil.

This was something that just "clicked" with me when I heard it. When they spoke on "crumple" room and the engine not being in your lap. I am even swaying my wife into liking the car now (she thinks im crazy buying this expensive of a vehicle).

EDIT: Good point about the super charge.

Onlinespending: I doubt you'll see "heavily discounted" Model S on the secondary market any time soon. I predict more of a Prius-style market, with high demand for at least a few years. However, your other reasons for delaying purchase all make sense, if it's not a gotta-have-it-now item for you.

Right, I only see "heavily discounted" Model S's being available IF there are some significant issues with the car, in which case, you'd probably not want one. Why else would you expect people who've waited years for the car to want to dump them after only a year?

Right, I only see "heavily discounted" Model S's being available IF there are some significant issues with the car, in which case, you'd probably not want one. Why else would you expect people who've waited years for the car to want to dump them after only a year?

You will see used Model S's selling at a discount as long as one condition is met: You can purchase a new one directly from Tesla without a wait. This will not be the case initially, since there are far more reservation holders than there are cars being produced in 2012. So you'll even see people trying to sell their used Model S at a premium. But if they are going to actually be producing 20,000 cars next year then I really think by mid-2013 there will not be any wait to get a new one from Tesla. Just look at the Roadster secondary market.

And why would someone want to sell their Model S after only a year? It's pretty clear from this and other threads that people are stretching themselves thin just to get the car. Suppose one of those people loses his jobs or falls on hard times? There's also those who are on the other end of the spectrum, those with tons of money (and judging from these forums, there are quite a few of them here too). Suppose Tesla does do a refresh of the Model S in mid-2013. They may purchase the upgrade and sell their original Model S. Or perhaps another car, such as the BMW i8 becomes their newest toy.

I fully plan on getting the 40kWh model. Lucky for me my Res# 7,701 means I won't have to worry about deferring. Although I did just hit 5 years at my current employer, and I plan on hitting them up for more money. If I get a substantial raise (I doubt it since I got a good raise about 8 months ago) I might try to spring for the 60kWh. I have been logging ALL of my driving since January. I have only 2 days where the 40kWh pack wouldn't work. One of which a 85kWh pack wouldn't have worked, 400+ miles to BFE Georgia for a funeral. The other was a Sunday and I probably could have charged during the day and drove a little less than 75mph to make the 40kWh work. But I would have driven a different car to the Airport that day if I had an EV and knew the other 2 trips I had to take.

I do however have a LOT of days where I will be on the edge of standard charge mode for the 40kWh pack. That is assuming I don't change my 'cruise at 80' interstate habits. But really a 60kWh would give me peace of mind that I can do whatever I want (other than drive to Charlotte) and not have to worry at all.

I am really considering getting the Dual chargers, and the HPWC for the 40kWh pack, so I can get some miles quickly in a pinch. If I move up to 60kWh I would skip both of those.

As for super charging ... just get the dual chargers. You can charge your 40kWh pack pretty quickly that way. I would find it painful to drive 100 miles at a whack over any real distance just to try to find a supercharger. Just save your 10k and put it into a 'rental car' fund. And think of being able to eat in your distance travel car, all the bugs you are hitting and won't have to wash.

Last edited:
ElSupreme: If you frequently get close to 40 kWh range going normal highway speeds or 70 mph or so, I think you'd be better off with 60 kWh pack, skipping the HPC and dual chargers. Maybe get supercharger access if that doesn't require dual chargers. Remember, range will slowly go down over time so you'll want some buffer for your daily driving in standard mode. How far did you drive on the days where you get close to 40 kWh?

Last edited:
Oh I frequently go about 95-100 miles (twice a week). I am compensating for speed and some pack degradation. I imagine I can slowly adapt my driving as the pack degrades, or better than that get some plugs installed where I park

Cool. If you can get a plug at work you're set. You'll probably be better off with the 60 kWh pack though.

One thing that nobody mentioned yet on this thread. I would not assume that the $7,500 credit will be available to customers who take delivery in 2013. Right now, we know for sure that it is available for purchases in 2012. But 2013 is not guarantee. It's an election year too, and the challenger's pick for energy advisor is a billionaire oil man. Draw your own conclusions.

I will be very pissed off if they get rid of the EV incentive. Not that I would NEED it, but it would make this purchase sting less. This is the last thing we need to cut as far as credits are concerned.

You will see used Model S's selling at a discount as long as one condition is met: You can purchase a new one directly from Tesla without a wait.
Used cars will sell for less than new ones. I was disagreeing with the adjective "deep." I don't think there will be deep discounts. There are always people who have to sell for one reason or another and a used car is a way to lower one's total cost of ownership.

[mod note: portion of this post was moved here]

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator Note: A very large number of off-topic posts regarding the tax credit were moved here. I also split some (meaning half of your post may be in one thread and the other half was relocated), to try to keep context.

I'm traveling, so try to stay on-topic for a little while, please.

Gracias.

Last edited: