Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delievery Lottery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, based on observations on various threads on here my assessment of the situation is relatively simple. Basically the VIN assignment doesn't mean anything anymore. As they approach the end of the quarter, they are simply seeing where the cars are (including in transit), and matching them to whoever can pick them up the fastest.

That means, if you're expecting a delivery, there is a very good chance your car will be yanked from under you and delivered to someone else if they happen to be an easier logistic case. Why bother transporting the car all the way to you, if someone nearby to where the car currently is can buy it this weekend? This is why all the text messages went out. This gauges interest and then they will sort things out and redirect cars for the remainder of this week for a final weekend push.

To all the unlucky people who were patiently waiting for a delivery, don't be surprised to see it delayed now. The official reason will be something like "logistics". But the real reason is likely your assigned car was just sold to someone else. I would not be surprised because of this to see deliveries now being pushed into November as they ramp back up the production line. They can't sell you what doesn't exist.

Of course this will probably happen again in December. So basically, it's just a big lottery now if you get your car.

Did they violate the Sept-Nov estimate given?

Yes, you might have to wait a bit longer, but not that long. AWDs will be served to all line waiters before EOY. I would be ok with this if I didn't have my car delivered last week.

I've had a VIN assigned, VIN removed, delivery date assigned, delivery date removed. All along the way not real information on what's happening. This is not a way to treat customers. I live a few hours from the delivery center. For the first date I had arranged transportation, a day off work, etc. Then it was cancelled the day before. Not a very good feeling.

I don't remember anywhere on the ordering website that it said part of the delivery process is being treated like crap along the way?

Did they violate the Sept-Nov estimate given?

Given that today is September 26th, you know the answer to that question.

Doesn't mean that based on the current sh!t show process they aren't screaming toward blowing that estimate for a lot of people. There's weeks of lead time between communication and delivery, so we're already into mid to late October deliveries.

It's nice that you hypothetically would be ok with this, if you hadn't received your car last week.

• Disagree
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
This is exactly what's happening. They are doing whatever it takes, to deliver as many cars as humanly possible, before the end of the quarter. They don't really seem to care to whom or where as long as its easy and quick.

Including pissing off lots of people. I guess customers are the least of Tesla's concerns at the moment. It will be a completely different story when the real competition shows up. So, if Tesla isn't learning how to treat their customers properly now, they won't have time to figure it out later. If I could go a buy a decent equivalent now from Jag or BMW, I would without hesitation. That day is realistically approaching.

Assuming that the Model 3 does eventually arrive, and that I haven't cancelled the order by then... when it's time for my next vehicle in 4-5 years, I will definitely NOT forget this. Tesla has not reached out to make it right, or otherwise offered me even a reasonable explanation. I will have no problem going to another manufacturer if they have a compelling product for me. In fact, this situation will likely lean me towards that route.

I received a VIN about 10 days ago and still have the same VIN despite a "logistics" delay that bumped my delivery by 3 weeks.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if your VIN disappears or changes, if someone who can pick up your assigned car at some other location replies to the mass text event and confirms. Then the car gets turned into cash on Tesla's Q3 balance sheet versus it showing as unsold inventory if they can't get the car to you in time. Sorry :(

Assuming that the Model 3 does eventually arrive, and that I haven't cancelled the order by then... when it's time for my next vehicle in 4-5 years, I will definitely NOT forget this. Tesla has not reached out to make it right, or otherwise offered me even a reasonable explanation. I will have no problem going to another manufacturer if they have a compelling product for me. In fact, this situation will likely lean me towards that route.

I call bull *sugar*. Assuming your Model 3 does eventually arrive, and assuming that you drive it for the next 4-5 years and love it, I am pretty certain the "process" that you went through (at that time 4-5 years ago) will not outweigh the enjoyment that you got out of owning the car for 4-5 years. I get what you are saying if you think the car is a POS and you don't enjoy it....but if you love it, why would you go to another manufacturer? Particularly since you already know Tesla's massive success comes with growing pains that are very likely to not exist 4-5 years from now when you are ready to purchase your next car...

I call bull *sugar*. Assuming your Model 3 does eventually arrive, and assuming that you drive it for the next 4-5 years and love it, I am pretty certain the "process" that you went through (at that time 4-5 years ago) will not outweigh the enjoyment that you got out of owning the car for 4-5 years. I get what you are saying if you think the car is a POS and you don't enjoy it....but if you love it, why would you go to another manufacturer? Particularly since you already know Tesla's massive success comes with growing pains that are very likely to not exist 4-5 years from now when you are ready to purchase your next car...

Well I guess it's hard to predict what the competitive environment will look like in 4-5 years. But I do remember quite clearly just how AWESOME I was treated by the dealership where I purchased my current vehicle, and that was 8+ years ago. I would easily purchase from them again, but they don't have a compelling EV. So, if in 4-5 years there is even an inkling of 'delivery hell' happening, why would I decide to put myself through that if there is another compelling option.

Now if Tesla is the only real option, that changes the situation... so, as I said, Tesla better figure out this now because they won't have the luxury to do it later.

• Disagree
Well I guess it's hard to predict what the competitive environment will look like in 4-5 years. But I do remember quite clearly just how AWESOME I was treated by the dealership where I purchased my current vehicle, and that was 8+ years ago. I would easily purchase from them again, but they don't have a compelling EV. So, if in 4-5 years there is even an inkling of 'delivery hell' happening, why would I decide to put myself through that if there is another compelling option.

Now if Tesla is the only real option, that changes the situation... so, as I said, Tesla better figure out this now because they won't have the luxury to do it later.

While I fundamentally agree with you - the current buying experience is not great - I cannot give traditional dealers that much credit. It is easy to treat someone well when your commission depends on it. I also remember sitting in the service lobby of Global BMW in Atlanta, listening to a floor manager prepping a new receptionist who was about to call a list of customers who had waited weeks for service appointments to push them further out. From the conversation, it was obviously to be a common occurrence . I ended up on the receiving end myself a few times, including once when the car had drivability issues (limp mode) under warranty.

If there is a compelling choice elsewhere I would expect you to look at it, as I would too. I am just saying for most people, the delivery experience is likely to be an insignificant part of the calculus after owning and loving a vehicle for 4-5 years. Yes, there are highly negative and very unfortunate delivery experiences that folks have had. But there are also highly positive experiences as well. My guess is, based on numbers, you are in the minority not majority. So to expect that you would have a similarly shitty experience in 4-5 years is probably wrong. If there is a better car out there then go for it. But I doubt you would by a worse car because of the promise of better delivery experience elsewhere...

Including pissing off lots of people. I guess customers are the least of Tesla's concerns at the moment. It will be a completely different story when the real competition shows up. So, if Tesla isn't learning how to treat their customers properly now, they won't have time to figure it out later. If I could go a buy a decent equivalent now from Jag or BMW, I would without hesitation. That day is realistically approaching.
I realize everyone’s experiences are different. I’ve been treated like dirt far more times with BMW than Tesla.

As production rates increase, Tesla MUST change to this type of system. They simply have too many cars to give you a specific VIN from the factory (and there's no real need for it).

When you buy an iPhone, do you get a specific SN from the factory or do you just take what they hand you and trust the product? Why should Tesla be different?

• Love
As production rates increase, Tesla MUST change to this type of system. They simply have too many cars to give you a specific VIN from the factory (and there's no real need for it).

When you buy an iPhone, do you get a specific SN from the factory or do you just take what they hand you and trust the product? Why should Tesla be different?
100% agree! There are financing considerations, but 2-3 day notice should be adequate. People walk into car dealers "just kicking the tires" and walk out with a car. Insurance shouldn't be an issue either, new cars are covered on most policies for 30 days. (US anyway)

I have configured/ordered three BMW's, and each time I received my VIN well in advance. Not sure why Tesla wouldn't continue this practice.

• Disagree
it surely feels that way.

I had pre-scheduled appointment thar i already talked about to multiple people who called me (who are these people and why they don't know when my delivery is, whereas it is right there on my account, date/time confirmed verbally and in writing?)

Yesterday another guy called to offer to deliver today instead (one day ahead of). We both must sign, but ok we worked out a time on a short notice. I thought we were all good.

Next, at night, between 11pm and 00am, yet another guy emailed that they have my car ready and that if i don't schedule immediately for the next 3 days it's ok but they would give my vin to someone else. I said OK -- yes of course, i have no problem taking the car. Do as we agreed (i had to explain to what we agreed). He emailed "sorry for confusion -- we will use your original appointment". I asked which one -- wed or thursday? But that i agree to both any way. No confirmation, but I have to assume either may still be a go??

I tried to call back the number they called from in the morning. No avail. Perhaps i should try to call the regular sales support number but they are saying wait time > 10 minutes, i hung up.

So now it looks like they are blowing that appointment window they called about yesterday. WTF. I finally was able to get someone on the number they called from, asking hey you called yesterday about today -- are you delivering or not today? because it looks like window is up. The guy just kept repeating "we will call you back", sounding annoyed. It was clear he had no intent talking to me.

Ok... what now? I assume they will try to deliver tomorrow, but now i am not so sure. The next thing i might know might be that my vin is gone, probably because i couldn't tell them "yes, come right now!" when they called yesterday?.. I swear it it smells awfully like going that way.

Last edited:
  • Informative
When I get the notice that my iPhone has shipped from China (the factory) and is going to be delivered on say Tuesday, that is my iPhone. It's not going to be rerouted and delivered to someone in Alaska because it's better for Apple's financials.

I've bought maybe a dozen cars and not once has it been sold to someone else just "because".

Tesla is just being sketchy and many people are refusing to believe it.

I don't remember anywhere on the ordering website that it said part of the delivery process is being treated like crap along the way?
I wouldn't not say treated like crap, they probably didn't curse at you, did they? Just are disorganized, which we saw coming for a while with Elon tweeting about this being his top concern.

I would not say this is ok or right, just that with us being caught in the middle of the ramp, being early adopters and all, most of us were expecting some issues... The very first people dealt with a lot of panel gap issues etc, we're dealing with skyrocketing volume and understaffing, logistics system being changed on us.

When I drove to SC prior to my delivery, I fully expected them to tell me they don't have the car and move the appointment. Being far from SC makes this problem harder given that they don't pick up the phone. Hopefully, if you have a DA you have a communication line or once they fix communication channels, we won't waste as much time.

I was expecting some problems and as a reward offsetting those problems I see:
1. $7.5k federal tax credit
2. ~$3k in savings compared to current prices(awd, paint, destination charge all went up; free LTE)
3. The pleasure of having the vehicle relatively early compared to about 300k people still in line after 2.5 years.