Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered With Front Bumper PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw someone post on the Tesla Y Facebook group that their new Y had PPF on the front bumper at pickup from Tesla. According to the post it was manufactured on 11/28 and picked up today?

Has anyone else noticed this on their newly picked up Y?

It’s not PPF. It’s a shipping film.
I see, bummer.

Here’s the picture they posted. You can see it at the edge.

Attachments

• D91345D7-C6C2-4CEB-9E7E-DF0172EA2E8F.jpeg
    D91345D7-C6C2-4CEB-9E7E-DF0172EA2E8F.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 180
I have now seen several people on Facebook are saying their front bumpers have ppf. Some said they didn’t even notice until they looked closely.

Can any recent pickups here take a look at their bumper? I’ll take a look if I go to the showroom tomorrow.

There is definitely some sort of extra protection on the bumper that isn’t anywhere else on the car you can clearly see it in certain areas and you can feel the difference if you run your finger nail across it. It looks like PPF but it appears to be more imbedded or sealed into the paint. I can see the edges on certain areas on my 2021 Y front bumper.

My 2018 Model 3 also as a similar, but much thicker film on the lower rocker panels.

52655067-840A-444D-9860-8D936545D9B6.jpeg
8308BF8D-CA5A-4D90-BB4B-473F433F6111.jpeg

Last edited:
Holy hell. It’s not PPF.

Your right it’s not “PPF” but it is an extra layer of something they have added to the paint that is only on the front bumper of the car. You can actually feel the difference if you rub your finger nail on the bumper as compared to the other parts of the car. It has a very similar feel to PPF but slightly harder. I have this same substance on the lower rocker panels of my 2018 Model 3, but it’s applied in a much thicker manner.

I have a 9/10 made 2020 MY and see what the pictures purport to show. Having had PPF installed on a S it is clear this is not PPF. It may be a remark caused by the shipping wrap applied soon after painting.

This is also clear. I can also tell you that it is definitely not any mark or residue left over from shipping film. It’s something they have bonded to the car and you can feel the difference. It’s also only on the front bumper.

After doing some research it seems a lot of manufactures apply a urethane coating to bumpers as part of the paint process, they call it chip guard. Seems like it gives the applied paint some flex so that in the event of an impact, or even just a small rock hitting the bumper, the paint doesn’t chip away. It can be applied in different textures and amounts.

Reactions: CoastalCruiser