Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very likely a similar one. If they're changing over to 2024 now, they haven't built or shipped those yet.
I don't have a pick up date yet but the range falls into my Christmas vacation trip to the in-laws, feeling stressed to pick up now, Q/A etc. Thinking I'd like a 2024 VIN also, I think tax break will stay in 2024 (only q is if I'll still qualify on my end, my accountant think this year looks good with writing off losses but can't guarantee that for next year)🤔

I don't have a pick up date yet but the range falls into my Christmas vacation trip to the in-laws, feeling stressed to pick up now, Q/A etc. Thinking I'd like a 2024 VIN also, I think tax break will stay in 2024 (only q is if I'll still qualify on my end, my accountant think this year looks good with writing off losses but can't guarantee that for next year)🤔

Well there is that saying: "A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush", But also "Fate will decide" so you never know....

Please help me ease my stress

@eeee-meeee just be thankful you got a VIN so quickly and an imminent delivery.

I'm at 68 days past OD and no VIN in sight. My last EDD which hasn't changed in 2 weeks shows Dec 8 - Jan 12.

Very frustrating not getting any updates.

I guess one saving grace if anything is that your EDD has a 2023 date so your FSD transfer should be good even if you receive the car in 2024. But I know the wait is painful when it drags out months and the potential $7,500 tax benefit is on the line.

Reactions: Saxman
You ordered a little more than two weeks after I did (9/27) and I live in SoCal. I only had three updates and then it went quiet for a few weeks. I suddenly got a VIN four days before my last EDD delivery window update (11/25) started and was able to pick it up the day before my listed EDD delivery window (11/28).
I was also stressed out because I was counting on the Section 179 deduction and went to Audi to test drive the Q8 eTron as a backup. My VIN notification came just a few hours after we left the Audi dealer. The Audi dealer was really trying to convince me to make a deal and was offering me price incentives and a 2.99% interest rate if I wanted to buy or a $7,500 credit if I wanted to lease. Unfortunately the Q8 eTron felt lacking in performance and did not have the interior space I wanted.

I think your VIN is coming very soon though.
Thanks for the info! I considered the X50e myself but not impressed plus it's only a $3,850 tax credit. I've had multiple X5's over the years and it's been more than 5 years since I had my last one. I just don't see myself going back to BMW ever again. I have a Land Cruiser which will be my only ICE vehicle other than owning a classic or two.

The MX is the only option for me to take the combined credit and 179 deduction and bonus depreciation. (If I could get my Cybertruck reservation delivered by 12/31 I'd definitely get that over the X - just in case you are reading this Elon 😂.) I'm also transferring the free lifetime charging from my 2018 M3 so I'm trying to stack everything. The frustrating thing about all of this is that the SA at my local dealership told me that deliveries of the X were 3-4 weeks out and I ordered it on the same day thinking I'd have taken delivery by November 30th at the latest.

• Funny
Reactions: SistaBigBones
Thanks for the info! I considered the X50e myself but not impressed plus it's only a $3,850 tax credit. I've had multiple X5's over the years and it's been more than 5 years since I had my last one. I just don't see myself going back to BMW ever again. I have a Land Cruiser which will be my only ICE vehicle other than owning a classic or two.

The MX is the only option for me to take the combined credit and 179 deduction and bonus depreciation. (If I could get my Cybertruck reservation delivered by 12/31 I'd definitely get that over the X - just in case you are reading this Elon 😂.) I'm also transferring the free lifetime charging from my 2018 M3 so I'm trying to stack everything. The frustrating thing about all of this is that the SA at my local dealership told me that deliveries of the X were 3-4 weeks out and I ordered it on the same day thinking I'd have taken delivery by November 30th at the latest.
Can you accept an S instead to accomplish all your objectives?

I'm wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation:

Ordered 10/11 for delivery in California

EDD #1 Nov - Dec
EDD #2 Dec 8 - Feb 2
EDD #3 Dec 12 - Jan 23
EDD #4 Dec 13 - Jan 17

My last update was 2 weeks ago and the EDD window is less than a week away so I'm expecting an update at any time. Based on what I've seen, I should expect my VIN around 12/20-12/27. I'm assuming California deliveries will get priority to boost Q4 numbers so I'm hopeful I'll get delivery by 12/31. The only wrinkle is that I am planning to take the Section 179 deduction so I'll be cutting it close if I need to switch to another vehicle at the last minute if I can't take delivery by 12/31...
What config?

Yea, not sure why your SA said that. When I pinged my SA on 9/27, he said to hurry up and order one ASAP to have a chance to be able to get it before the end of the year because the lead times are long and around two months which he was correct.

Last edited:
For those of you who put your order on a hold.. how long did it take to get a new VIN reassigned and how far out was delivery date? My hold ends 12/15 and I don't know if I should remove it earlier to be able to take delivery before end of year. Optimally I'd like to take delivery after Christmas.