Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Date and Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery date is scheduled for December. How long after receiving notification do I have to take delivery. Can I finish all the requirements for delivery but actually take delivery in 2023 will I be able to take the new tax credit?

^ and ^^. Yup. Even when the money is in the bank it can take a few days (over a weekend) to get a bank check made out. Or to notify the insurance company and get the call back confirmation from them that they know there's a new car to cover. In fact, I was told two days, not three.
For insurance, you should be able to use your current insurance as evidence and add your new one in policy within 10 days or so.

Reactions: Bikeman
Upvote 0
On 11/9/22 I finally got the text message from Tesla saying that my car will be ready in a few weeks. It has been six months since I placed my order. I guess that's not too bad considering that some have waited over a year for their MYLR. As of this post it has been only 12 hours since the text so I still don't have a VIN or narrowed-down EDD. I'm wondering if I should get the Cashier's Check cut now or wait a bit longer?
There are alot of ppl gotten that message. I am one of them. I think that message does not mean you will get VIN soon or what not. It seems like more a ‘keep in touch’ message.

Upvote 0
What was the new price you ordered for? If I cancel my order that has the pre-hiked price, if I re-order again, it will be a wash between new price MYLR and the tax credit - plus I will lost 250 order fee from the old order, and also without the mobile charger.
I think mine was ordered at $63,000 with the white interior upgrade. From your circumstance, it sounds best to keep it. Also tax credit doesn't come until the end of the year this first year.

Upvote 0
About a day after getting the message that my MYLR would be built in a few weeks, I got an updated EDD that was 2 weeks instead of 1 month, AND it was 1 week sooner than the previous 1 month EDD. How long can I expect to wait for the VIN?

Here's my very recent experience and would like to share:
1. EDD changed a few times over the past months - it was end of Oct/first week of Nov, then Nov 30-Dec31.
2. Got a SMS this Monday (Nov 7), "We are expecting your vehicle to enter production and be ready for delivery very soon....."
3. EDD got updated on Tue (Nov 8) to Nov 11 - Nov 19
4. On Wed (Nov 9), got another email/SMS update saying the Model Y is now ready and got a VIN assigned. EDD hasn't changed yet at this point.
5. I logged in later on Wed, and they were given me some hours on this Sat or Sun to pick up in Fremont (I called in the past, select pickup @ Fremont as my default preference)
6. Working on closing the loan doc with credit union this morning (Thur), Tesla *kindly* called and remind me the "delivery has now been scheduled for tomorrow - Friday afternoon". I guess they really like to get inventory out of their lot.
7. I said I prefer to pick up at Fremont as I previously indicated, the agent says the only time available now is Sat. And of course, they refuse to change it to Monday - at this point, I gave up....whatever I need to adjust / adapt on my side just to get this car.

Anyway, sounds like Tesla robots is able to put together a Model Y in 48 hours and get it out of their door. LOL. As some of the folks in the community may agree - thrill about their technology, not so much with the customer experience.

Upvote 0
If you can wait it out and
About a day after getting the message that my MYLR would be built in a few weeks, I got an updated EDD that was 2 weeks instead of 1 month, AND it was 1 week sooner than the previous 1 month EDD. How long can I expect to wait for the VIN?
It's pretty random from a customer POV but pretty sure there's an algo behind the scene. EDD won't give you much until you get a text stating that it's almost ready and to get your paperwork in order.

Upvote 0
I'm scheduled for an EDD of Dec. 23-31. I recently asked my SA what happens if it arrives on Dec. 30th? I was told I would absolutely need to pick it up on the 30th or the 31st or I would lose the car. Nice. What would I tell my boss at work? "I need to leave this very minute" to pick up a car? (and lose maybe $7,500). And wreck my job? Even nicer. Really really hoping the transport will be delayed somehow and a 2023 pickup somehow happens. But luck doesn't work that way.
Take off those 2 days if you really want the car. Most jobs are closed or you can leave early anyway. I would not be too worried about it.

Upvote 0
I ordered my MXLR on 12/05/21.
I received the following text a few days ago. This was a day after my expected. Delivery was pushed out two weeks.

“Tesla Update - Hi xxxxxx, great news! Your Model X is expected to be delivered in the next several weeks.

We will be in touch with updates in the coming weeks and look forward to helping you take delivery of your Tesla.

In the meantime, you can track your estimated delivery timing in your Tesla app.”

Needless to say, we are very eager as it’s been a long wait and are desperately looking forward to delivery. My only concern is I hope I’m lucky and get a vehicle with minimal issues that have to be repaired. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
I ordered my MXLR on 12/05/21.
I received the following text a few days ago. This was a day after my expected. Delivery was pushed out two weeks.

“Tesla Update - Hi xxxxxx, great news! Your Model X is expected to be delivered in the next several weeks.

We will be in touch with updates in the coming weeks and look forward to helping you take delivery of your Tesla.

In the meantime, you can track your estimated delivery timing in your Tesla app.”

Needless to say, we are very eager as it’s been a long wait and are desperately looking forward to delivery. My only concern is I hope I’m lucky and get a vehicle with minimal issues that have to be repaired. Fingers crossed.
Giving you good luck vibes. Sending the car back to be repaired is a pretty gnarly experience. I had the car in the shop since the 9th and they are keeping it for another week minimum…

Upvote 0
^ and ^^. Yup. Even when the money is in the bank it can take a few days (over a weekend) to get a bank check made out. Or to notify the insurance company and get the call back confirmation from them that they know there's a new car to cover. In fact, I was told two days, not three.
You would reck your job leaving at 5 on a Friday or not working on a Saturday? Tough boss.

Upvote 0
You would reck your job leaving at 5 on a Friday or not working on a Saturday? Tough boss.

Friday to Monday is my main work week, plus wednesdays. But Murphey's Law says I'll get the text late on a thursday afternoon and it will be a mess. Christmas season is tied for the busiest. I work until 10pm. Retail. Most def. would be bad to just "leave" to pick up a car, without the normal 2-week notice. Not a tough boss. Just a tough job.

That said, I had a little pow-wow with the boss about a week ago explaining how Tesla deliveries work (or don't work well). I used the example of closing on a house and that all the participants can only meet up "tomorrow" or something to that effect. He told me that it shouldn't be much of a problem. I set the stage, or so I hope, for a better outcome for my absence. The other managers on duty will likely not be as understanding. Now it is up to Tesla, the car, and the banker. If the timing is too thin, I just might have them make out the check a few days ahead of a probable delivery and hope all that works out.

Upvote 0
Our delivery is set for Dec 30th. Hoping it doesn't snow as I have a 5-page checklist to go through.
That said, much of my excitement has dwindled due to all the QC Issue Posts I've read. 😞
You got the $7500, I would take it just to lock that in and have them fix it after the fact. Hoping all goes well with your delivery. Now until then is going to be the hardest part of the waiting period unfortunately. SO CLOSE!

Upvote 0
Well, 2-days before my delivery Tesla contacted me and pushed it a week. It's frustrating as I talked to them the day before and they said we were on track so I made plans for Detailing, Wrap, Ceramic, Tint and Tires. They said its weather related which I understanding but I would think they'd know if its pushing a week the day before delivery... Anyway, the wait continues.

Upvote 0