Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day Process Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the current owners who took delivery at the SC, about how long does it take to go through the delivery process? I assume that the paperwork and payment are done on this day as well or is that done in advance? Because Tesla is not your typical "dealership" I wanted to get a better understanding so that I can plan accordingly.

Thanks!

I took delivery at the Denver SC on the last day of the quarter. It was a bit busy, to say the least, but they allocated 45 minutes to my delivery. We were done in probably 20 minutes, not including my chit-chatting with the DS's and OA's (they actually brought a bunch of the folks from the sales gallery in Lone Tree to help out). I had most of the paperwork signed and the "due at delivery" payment completed before I arrived, so it was a pretty painless process.

Are you allowed a fair amount of time to thouroughly check your car out. I've read of so many instances where fit and finish weren't right. I hate to be anal and I would obviously want to get in the car and head home, but if something wasn't right it would seem best to get it handled immediately
If you do find a problem that would require leaving the car, would you still go ahead and complete your purchase regardless? My biggest concern with a pending ( hopefully ) December delivery is the federal tax credit. I would much prefer to get the credit for 2016

• Informative
Reactions: theslimshadyist
@idealsol - I was extremely thorough with my inspection on my 2016 MS60 and I did find a couple minor imperfections (very tiny).

My DS did not "give" me an opportunity to inspect the vehicle. I had to take it if that makes sense. It seemed like a streamlined process for him to do the show and tell then have me on my way. I sort of just began inspecting the vehicle while he gave me the look like "can we continue please?"

I think I was there for about an hour and a half. I wasn't rushed at all and I let the DS do the full walk through. I did not do a full inspection to make sure everything was perfect. I did a really quick check (maybe a minute plus looking at things while getting the walk-through) and saw nothing obviously wrong. Later on I realized I had a minor issue with wind noise on the driver's side window, but I set up a service appointment to get it fixed.

I live about 20 minutes from an SvC in part of the country that isn't very busy. If you live in southern California or live far away from a SvC you might have a different experience or want to take a different approach.

Are you allowed a fair amount of time to thouroughly check your car out. I've read of so many instances where fit and finish weren't right. I hate to be anal and I would obviously want to get in the car and head home, but if something wasn't right it would seem best to get it handled immediately
If you do find a problem that would require leaving the car, would you still go ahead and complete your purchase regardless? My biggest concern with a pending ( hopefully ) December delivery is the federal tax credit. I would much prefer to get the credit for 2016
i showed up an hour early and there was a SC employee going over my car very carefully. I attempted to wait patiently in the lobby, but eventually found my way back to my car in the delivery bay. I found a couple of small spots of "delivery adhesive" and a slightly misaligned license plate bracket, but nothing significant. I told the DS and they promptly started to fix it (about 10 min). I was then asked to sign the paperwork, which I did (about 10 min), and had to move my MS out of the bay to the outdoor staging area to allow other deliveries. I continued to go over the car outside in the sunlight, chit chatting with everyone, and they even brought over one of the technicians to answer some specific questions and order some accessories. They allotted me 45 minutes for scheduling purposes, but I was there probably two hours, and they were extremely nice about it - my DS would check in on me outside to make sure all was well. They just needed the delivery bay every 45 minutes, since I took delivery on September 30th and there were probably 2-3 dozen deliveries going on that day.

• Informative
Reactions: theslimshadyist
Took delivery on Tuesday at 2:30pm. Looked over the car for a good 10 minutes, had a scuff mark on the bumper. They buffed it right out in front of me. Other than that my Certified Pre Owned was immaculate. Spent about 15 minutes going over the controls (but will admit hard to pay attention when you're so excited to finally get your car). Was interesting as I heard my delivery specialast say "put his trade in next to Kerry Wood's jeep" (as a Cubs fan, getting my Tesla and watching the Cubs start the World Series in the same day was unreal). Received a nice gift bag with a new tesla hat, umbrella, coffee mug, and pin. Spent about 10 or 15 minutes waiting for my CPO guy Brent to get back from a test drive, just to say thanks. He saw me and was so excited that I finally got my car. Left the dealership at 3:22pm, enough time to drive home, take the family for a spin, and watch game 1 of the World Series. Most efficient delivery process I have taken of any car I have ever bought. And have had that uncontrollable smile ever since...