Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Delay - 2014 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also note that Tesla is likely pushing back US production in favour of international production. Ie, if the cars for China don't get produced this month, they won't be delivered in Q3 which would certainly set them up for a quarterly miss which would be... not good. Therefore I think nearly everything that's being produced today is for foreign markets. That being said, some of the European deliveries planned for Q4 have been notified of a push back of one or two weeks as well.

I paid deposit in April 2013 and was told I'll get the car delivered by around September 2013. Then Tesla said it's winter, no by spring, and by summer, and a few weeks ago finally I was given September 8th 2014! My VIN is 44355 and as of today I'm still waiting. So it's one year delay.

You guys (and ladies) are much better than me! :)

Last edited:
I don't think that is an accurate description of how far "behind" they are....The latest reports from people from their DS states 1 week behind schedule.

This seems somewhat optimistic to me based on my own experience and based on reading various "delay" threads. According to my DS, my car (VIN 48XXX) was scheduled for production around 8/11, i.e., the second week of production after the shut-down. It is now scheduled for production around 9/1, i.e., three weeks later and the fifth week after the shut-down. That is a sample of one, of course, but in addition I have seen postings from others with similar VINs which are consistent with my delay. Some of these others are now "in production" and some are still "sourcing parts" (as I am--I keep checking). This is also consistent with the absence of any deliveries reported by anyone other than lucky AZNick.

So it seems to me that it has taken four weeks of operation just to produce those cars which had originally been scheduled for the first week after shut-down, more or less. Only now are they starting to build cars from the second week's original schedule. That sounds like more catch-up than we may have thought.

This seems somewhat optimistic to me based on my own experience and based on reading various "delay" threads. According to my DS, my car (VIN 48XXX) was scheduled for production around 8/11, i.e., the second week of production after the shut-down. It is now scheduled for production around 9/1, i.e., three weeks later and the fifth week after the shut-down. That is a sample of one, of course, but in addition I have seen postings from others with similar VINs which are consistent with my delay. Some of these others are now "in production" and some are still "sourcing parts" (as I am--I keep checking). This is also consistent with the absence of any deliveries reported by anyone other than lucky AZNick.

So it seems to me that it has taken four weeks of operation just to produce those cars which had originally been scheduled for the first week after shut-down, more or less. Only now are they starting to build cars from the second week's original schedule. That sounds like more catch-up than we may have thought.

It's very hard to tell. Tesla could have had mostly international production right after the line started up again (e.g., right hand drive), and it might have decided to shift domestic production as a result. It doesn't necessarily mean that Tesla is a full three or four weeks behind on production. But without more information, it's just impossible to say with any certainty. Of course, it is uncertainty that leads to frustration.

My DS said two weeks--not one week--behind schedule, and he didn't sound particularly confident even at that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we're looking at 2-4 weeks delays, depending on your production week, delivery location, etc.

Of course, it's also possible that he was giving himself a bunch of slack and it will actually be less than a 2-week delay, but that wasn't the sense I got.

Well I have had two people saymy estimations are optimistic... As in there is a strong chance that it is not the case and I ever rebut with the population of the people posting here is such a small subset of the population on the whole and yet, I am still optimistic. They are clearly making cars and have been since the 4th. People have reported back from having been in and around the factory all this time... So it stands to reason that *someone* *somewhere* didn't get delayed or have at the least already, or will be soon taking delivery. I just can't believe that they wouldn't have been able to make at least an average of 625 a week... I mean that number is taking us back to like January as far as production rate as it is... The picture of doom and gloom is strong in this thread.

From what I've read Tesla won't consider a sale as completed and counted until delivery has taken place. Up until that point it's just an order.

I believe until full payment is received but it is basically the same thing... It is likely only a slight difference for some... Like those in Texas where they have to pay for their car before they will put it on the final truck to deliver it to their house. At least that was my understanding.

It's very hard to tell. Tesla could have had mostly international production right after the line started up again (e.g., right hand drive), and it might have decided to shift domestic production as a result. It doesn't necessarily mean that Tesla is a full three or four weeks behind on production. But without more information, it's just impossible to say with any certainty. Of course, it is uncertainty that leads to frustration.
Quite right--I can't argue with that logic. But if that is right it does not explain the last-minute change of production plans and the apparent communication problems with affected buyers. So I have assumed that the delays were due to unexpected problems rather than to shuffled priorities.

For what it's worth, discussing such problems should not be construed as "doom and gloom." It is just disappointment, and I think most of us are simply trying to recalibrate our expectations. At least that is my perspective.

Let's do an experiment. As of today, I am still scheduled for delivery on September 15th. I have not talked to my DS in a week, and last I did, he said I was still on target. When do you expect that I will get delivery?

My expectation as of today is first week of October.

Fair enough, to help it should be 2 days of production plus we shall say 1 week to ship (should be a little less but hopefully that is decent since I don't know how everything works in Texas) so your car should hit the "in production" status somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd of Sept. I would start to agree with your sentiment if you don't see or hear anything by that date.

For what it's worth, discussing such problems should not be construed as "doom and gloom." It is just disappointment, and I think most of us are simply trying to recalibrate our expectations. At least that is my perspective.

The comment was not directed toward the general delays and people venting their frustrations with having to wait longer and having unexpected delays. Many of us have been there, my own car didn't have a perfect delivery cycle and I voiced frustrations so please do not think I was trying to stop that at all.

So I have assumed that the delays were due to unexpected problems rather than to shuffled priorities.

A fair point.

- - - Updated - - -

There are quite a few threads on the delivery delay, so my apologies to anyone who has read this already. A little light of hope amongst all the doom and gloom: My Model S went into production today! I'm still waiting on a new delivery date though.
Cheers!

Great news! Congrats!

Here's my latest update direct from my DS. My VIN is 50309 and my original delivery date was September 5. He confirmed the delay and believes mid September will be the delivery. He acknowledged that Tesla is aware of my overseas trip on September 15 and they are trying to "prioritize" my build. I told him that I appreciated the update and the stated goal of expediting my delivery, but that a delivery with only a day before I leave didn't make much sense. He seemed to agree and couldn't have been nicer, but wasn't able to indicate anything further. He did confirm the rental car would still be available should i need it. My dashboard was just changed to September 13. We shall see.

Here's my latest update direct from my DS. My VIN is 50309 and my original delivery date was September 5. He confirmed the delay and believes mid September will be the delivery. He acknowledged that Tesla is aware of my overseas trip on September 15 and they are trying to "prioritize" my build. I told him that I appreciated the update and the stated goal of expediting my delivery, but that a delivery with only a day before I leave didn't make much sense. He seemed to agree and couldn't have been nicer, but wasn't able to indicate anything further. He did confirm the rental car would still be available should i need it. My dashboard was just changed to September 13. We shall see.

Good info. My VIN is relatively close to yours (50012), so I'll let you know if I hear anything further regarding my supposed mid-September delivery.

My Dashboard changed today!! "In Production The Tesla Factory is building your Model S". Pick Up Time is still Sept 18, 2014 (which still represents a 20 day delay from my original delivery date). I wasn't expecting production so far removed from delivery. If it supposedly takes 2 days to build, testing for how many days? then shipping (perhaps a week to FL). What is happening all those extra days? Starting tomorrow there are 23 days to delivery. I hope everyone gets good news soon!