Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Delay - 2014 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the dreaded delay call from the DS today. Confirmed 6/16 (VIN: 52514), original delivery was Sept. 19 and now it's pushed back a week to Sept. 26. I'm picking up in Austin and was going to do it on the return from a work trip (i.e. didn't have to pay for the flight to Austin! :) ). Now I'll have to pay for my own trip to Austin. Maybe I'll do a trade with Autonation and just drive my own car down. I purposefully waited a while before submitting for a quote from them, now I'm glad I did. One day additional delay and I'll have to do it again. Haven't started the loan process yet, though, and now I'm thinking I might wait another week just in case.

Got the dreaded delay call from the DS today. Confirmed 6/16 (VIN: 52514), original delivery was Sept. 19 and now it's pushed back a week to Sept. 26. I'm picking up in Austin and was going to do it on the return from a work trip (i.e. didn't have to pay for the flight to Austin! :) ). Now I'll have to pay for my own trip to Austin. Maybe I'll do a trade with Autonation and just drive my own car down. I purposefully waited a while before submitting for a quote from them, now I'm glad I did. One day additional delay and I'll have to do it again. Haven't started the loan process yet, though, and now I'm thinking I might wait another week just in case.

As a former boss used to say to me, "This ain't your first rodeo." Clearly you've run into delays in your lifetime and learned how to deal with it calmly. Two thumbs up.

Personally I wouldn't take delivery the last 5 days of Sept, sounds like service centers are going to be swamped trying like hell to get as many in the books before 3rd quarter ends, practically zero deliveries in North America in August thru the 3rd week of September to make up for.

If you are THAT far away from the pickup point won't they bring it to you? My understanding was of you were within a certain distance you go to the service center and outside that they still deliver to your house. Also, you could ask them to come pick you up, they will send a porter to give you a ride in to take delivery. The later I know I have heard of working as far away as a solid 100 miles or so (Rockville MD to Richmond, VA whatever that distance is)... You shouldn't have to pay for a rather expensive airfare to get the car...

Well I had the official "Yes you're delayed two weeks" conversation with my DS, with 26-september as my official new delivery date. *But*, he did say that production was definitely picking up the pace and the actual delay could be as little as a few days from my original 12-september. He anticipates Hobbes will be going into production the week of September 8th, although he was careful not to make any promises. I'm financing through them and he also said they'll do their best to avoid me having to re-apply if we go a few days over the 30.

My vacation week off is September 29th through October 3rd, so I'll still be in good shape if they can make the 26th. I'm just doing a staycation with lots of area driving and a few overnight trips planned (e.g. p-town and sampling the new Sagamore Bridge supercharger!) so while of course a bit disappointed I'm feeling upbeat overall and ready to keep myself distracted in the meantime. Just a few more weeks!

Sorry to hear about the delay. The word hasn't come from my DS yet, but I was scheduled later than you (Sept. 24). Thus, there is always the chance Tesla will catch-up by then.

I haven't scheduled anything else (other than electrical work). So there is no real deadline, like a 30-day financing window, that I have to worry about. Of course, eventually I will have to get the financing lined-up, but I'm waiting for now. In, addition, I plan on immediately dropping the car off for a clear bra installation and modesta or opticoat installation, but my detailer isn't too worried about an exact time yet.

In other words, I'm trying not to get to attached my delivery date.:wink:

As a side note, I'm waiting around for my current car too. I took it to the dealer back on July 30 to get two door locks fixed (I have had every lock go bad multiple times), an oil change and a tire rotation. It took them until August 20 to get my car back to me. Then I had the car a day when I realized that ants had invaded my car while they left it sitting outside for three weeks. The next day, I realized that they had damaged one of my doors while the car was being fixed. Of course, I brought back. It then took them two more days to decide they had damaged the door, and now my car is at the body shop, which will probably take another 3-5 days to complete. Once the car is back at the dealership, they have to do the detail work to get the ants out. I figure I won't see the car again until September 3 or 4, roughly five weeks after I first brought it in. At least I have a loaner, but my car has HOV access license plates and the loaner doesn't. Thus, I've been sitting in a lot more traffic. Simply put, I can't wait to get my Tesla already!

I also got a note from my DS today, however, there was no indication of further delay. Keep in mind my original delivery date was Sept 12 but I had to delay due to work related travel. I did ask if there was a possibility of an earlier arrival (can't hurt to ask). My revised date is Sept 20 which DS indicated should not be an issue. He told me I am scheduled to move into Production week of Sept 8th but that it could be earlier so keep checking the dashboard (like I needed a reminder for that).

@shelbri, same thing here: should go into production week of September 8th, but my dashboard checking will continue unabated in the meantime! I wouldn't be shocked if our cars are on the same transport vehicle heading to the east coast.

@iadbound, thanks! Keeping happiness independent of small delivery date shifts sounds like a wise idea for both of us. And, yikes on your current car's maintenance issues. That certainly must be adding to your Teslanticipation!

I confirmed my order on August 10th, 2014 and my Estimated Delivery was November, that shifted to Late October a few days after the confirmation and as of last night the Dashboard is saying Late September. I sent an email to my DS to find out what's going on because if this accelerated delivery date is accurate I need to start getting some things taken care of that I thought I didn't need to start for another month. Waiting on that reply now.

Whole thing seems rather strange with all the talk here about delays, but maybe the ramp up being discussed here is happening and that makes them comfortable enough to move up delivery dates.

I confirmed 6/16 and was originally told, "Late September," then it went to, "September," then I got an email and we arranged 9/17.

Now I am back to, "Late September" and my delivery guy is basically saying 9/17 is a long shot but not ruled out. He has not told me that I can reasonably expect a week or two, for example.

I live in Minneapolis and S85

Edit: VIN 49867

Strange that one group is getting delays to the last part of september, and another group is getting bumped up to that same time frame. I'm having trouble getting the logic to work with that, even with the idea that they are rushing to complete a certain number by the end of september.

On a different note, I've developed a "pre-Tesla grin". Whenever I mention selling my current car, or having electrical work done, someone will ask me why, and I'll say because "I'm buying a Tesla", and despite trying to hold it back, but the time the word Tesla escaped my lips I have an enormous smile.

If you are THAT far away from the pickup point won't they bring it to you? My understanding was of you were within a certain distance you go to the service center and outside that they still deliver to your house. Also, you could ask them to come pick you up, they will send a porter to give you a ride in to take delivery. The later I know I have heard of working as far away as a solid 100 miles or so (Rockville MD to Richmond, VA whatever that distance is)... You shouldn't have to pay for a rather expensive airfare to get the car...

Yeah, I went back and forth on that one. I'm 300 miles from the SC's in Dallas and Austin, chose Austin b/c I have friends/family in town. On one hand, home delivery would be more convenient, but would lack the "event"-ness and instruction of taking delivery at a service center. Taking delivery in Austin would mean I get that, if anything is off they would have a day to fix it before I'd have to hit the road. But I was hesitant to take off on a 300 mile trip (requiring an RV park stop) on my 2nd day of ownership. I figured what the heck, right? It's meant to be driven, and I'd get to stop at the Waco Supercharger as my "first charge". (Is that a thing? haha)

One week is no big deal aside from the flight. Two would be workable. But later than that and I'd have to delay delivery until mid-November because my travel schedule has me out of town basically M-F for 5 straight weeks.

There are some days I forget I bought the darn thing, if you can believe that! At this point I almost don't even believe I'm going to be driving one in about a month, it's a little surreal. :)

Strange that one group is getting delays to the last part of september, and another group is getting bumped up to that same time frame. I'm having trouble getting the logic to work with that, even with the idea that they are rushing to complete a certain number by the end of september.

On a different note, I've developed a "pre-Tesla grin". Whenever I mention selling my current car, or having electrical work done, someone will ask me why, and I'll say because "I'm buying a Tesla", and despite trying to hold it back, but the time the word Tesla escaped my lips I have an enormous smile.

I've had the same silly grin in reaction to the work I'm having done in my garage. :)

One week is no big deal aside from the flight. Two would be workable. But later than that and I'd have to delay delivery until mid-November because my travel schedule has me out of town basically M-F for 5 straight weeks.

I trust you are telling this to your DS, right? Because I don't think they like to hold cars for that long and will likely give you pushback (even though it is their fault).

Have fun on your first roadtrip! As I look at the map it seems you will be isolated from have decent Supercharger access until 2015... Hopefully for your sake they install the superchargers in your area sooner so you can drive your car long distances with ease!

If they are working a lot of overtime toward the end of the quarter, maybe they´ll take a week off at the beginning of Sep? That would also give them some time for fine tuning the new production line. That would fit with some deliveries being pushed back from early Sep, and at the same time if they know they can produce at a higher rate now, they could deliver cars scheduled for Octorber earlier.

I trust you are telling this to your DS, right? Because I don't think they like to hold cars for that long and will likely give you pushback (even though it is their fault).

Have fun on your first roadtrip! As I look at the map it seems you will be isolated from have decent Supercharger access until 2015... Hopefully for your sake they install the superchargers in your area sooner so you can drive your car long distances with ease!

Yeah, I've mentioned it, but I'll probably put it in writing with the exact dates just so there isn't any confusion. As for being isolated, luckily I'm not actually big on driving. I only drive to Austin (6 hours...we measure distances in hours in Texas :)) or Corpus Christi (9 hours) maybe once a year. Hopefully, after I do it this year there will be Superchargers in Sweetwater (I-20) and Junction (I-10), which are right on my normal route, by this time next year.