Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery delayed due to cracked glass roof...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should have received my Model S one week ago. Sadly I learned on delivery day that my car had been transported to the nearest dealership (instead of my house) because someone on the third-party transport team noticed a crack in the glass roof. No one has told me how they think this happened (physical damage vs installation stress - who knows). A leak test was performed at the dealership and water was able to penetrate through, so my car has been in a warehouse (so I'm told) to protect it from daily thunderstorms. I've been trying to stay calm about this, but I'm feeling a bit let down that my new car - the nicest thing I have ever bought myself by a long shot - will have people in and out of it performing a major repair and road testing it before I even get to see it. On the plus side, fixing it up front saves me trouble on the back end assuming no other issues. Also, they gave me a loaner to practice on while I wait.

I'm told my service center has never replaced a glass roof before (they have done a few panos which are theoretically harder to install). How concerned should I be about this? I have a vision of this gorgeous car with an uneven glass roof and random bits of sealant and foam around the edges. I'm also worried that my white interior and touchscreen will have grubby handprints everywhere. Who here would proceed with home delivery making careful note of areas in need of repair or touch-up, vs driving 80-90 min to the dealership to take delivery and directly point out issues? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

I have a vision of this gorgeous car with an uneven glass roof and random bits of sealant and foam around the edges.

To be fair there's a much greater than zero chance your car could have come this way direct from the factory. ;)

Don't sweat it. Look the car over thoroughly when you take delivery. If something isn't right, point it out and it will get dealt with. In the meantime, enjoy the loaner.

Given the minor stuff I had coming from the factory, a cracked all glass roof would've fit the bill. The all glass is one giant piece of glass and its SUPER thick. I shudder to think of what kind of force was required to crack it. That being said, it should be straight-forward to replace. They will not be able to seat it like the robots but that might be a good thing because now someone will be testing its sealing to ensure its perfect. Its pretty much like a giant windshield so you shouldn't have to worry once it is in.

As far as dirt and damage during installation -- I think that depends on your SC. Mine is amazing (Highland Park). I wouldn't worry at all. Other SCers have issues, especially in CA (from what I've read). Hopefully yours is up to snuff. Look for drops of adhesive as that will be a tough thing to get out.

I should have received my Model S one week ago. Sadly I learned on delivery day that my car had been transported to the nearest dealership (instead of my house) because someone on the third-party transport team noticed a crack in the glass roof. No one has told me how they think this happened (physical damage vs installation stress - who knows). A leak test was performed at the dealership and water was able to penetrate through, so my car has been in a warehouse (so I'm told) to protect it from daily thunderstorms. I've been trying to stay calm about this, but I'm feeling a bit let down that my new car - the nicest thing I have ever bought myself by a long shot - will have people in and out of it performing a major repair and road testing it before I even get to see it. On the plus side, fixing it up front saves me trouble on the back end assuming no other issues. Also, they gave me a loaner to practice on while I wait.

I'm told my service center has never replaced a glass roof before (they have done a few panos which are theoretically harder to install). How concerned should I be about this? I have a vision of this gorgeous car with an uneven glass roof and random bits of sealant and foam around the edges. I'm also worried that my white interior and touchscreen will have grubby handprints everywhere. Who here would proceed with home delivery making careful note of areas in need of repair or touch-up, vs driving 80-90 min to the dealership to take delivery and directly point out issues? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

That's stressful, but definitely would not sweat it... If you look back at my old posts on delivery experience thread, you'll see I endured a special kind of hell.... all worth it. My guess is the transport dropped a chain on it if it was on the bottom of the carrier, or that they overtightened a strap... either way, you'll be good with a new one.

I was given 3 years of free service for my troubles... you should definitely try to get them to do the same... I pushed extremely hard for all sorts of discounts because I was so upset, this was the most they were able to do...

Car is soooo awesome... definitely get it!!! best decision ever!

I think if you remind the Service Center (not dealership, there are no dealerships in Tesla) they will reimburse you for the gas and oil you use driving from the Service Center home once the new car is repaired and turned over to you.
:)