Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery estimate chaos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10pm on the night before my appointment. Not even so much as an email confirming the appointment. Even Comcast can get this right and they're terrible at customer service.

To say that the delivery experience has been a disappointment is an understatement. I'm hoping things improve after delivery.

Finally owning and driving a Tesla changes things radically. I think for most people the pre-delivery anxiety/anger vanishes and is replaced by copious amounts of insanely addictive driving. All that other stuff quickly fades into the background....

2 weeks before? I received mine 2 weeks ago and if I believe the dashboard I have 2 months to wait. I actually dont believe anything I get told by them at the moment. I really do wonder if Elon knows how much the company is disappointing buyers at the moment? He needs to have a good look at Sales and Service and not blow the reputation of Tesla because of this.

At least you have yours, they wont even ship mine yet. I already had all the wiring done at the house. Just waiting for the unit to arrive and get that electrician back for 1 more hr to install it.

At least you have yours, they wont even ship mine yet.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm a bit out in the boonies in South Carolina, and I have no faith that the local "good ol' boy" guys around here will do the install right (based on observations of other work). I have a friend who is an electrician who will do the install for me, but his time is very limited and he lives two hours away. It may be four weeks or more before he has a break to get out here. I've talked with the DS more than once about getting my HPWC as soon as possible, and he told me three things, one of which I reported in this thread a couple days ago (the part about the whole process being automated). The second thing he said was that they've never had a situation where a purchaser was unable to get the HPWC installed before the car was delivered, and they will make sure it does get installed in a timely manner (at what cost? I'm wondering). The last thing he said, about two weeks ago, is that the HPWC's are "a little back ordered right now" (I don't know what "a little" means in that context). Tesla apparently will not ship the HPWC until about four weeks before delivery - period. And if they're short on them, it could be even closer to delivery.

My biggest worry is that my high tech EV will show up and I will not yet have a viable charging solution in place. I would really hate to have to delay my acceptance of the car, but even more I don't want to have the car and not be able to drive it.

I hope I'm worried about nothing.

Sorry to hear about the various poor experiences folks have had with the HPWC shipment and/or their DS. I had a top notch experience. My DS communicated clearly and often. Delivery was painless and everyone couldn't have been more helpful and professional along the way and at delivery.

As far as the HPWC goes, I got mine with more than enough time to spare. Unfortunately, my electrician was overwhelmed with work and schedule conflicts, which made the install take longer. My electric utility was installing a second meter for me, but they require lots of lead time. Thus, my HPWC only became operative today, but it really hasn't hurt because I only picked-up the car today.

Karmamule is right, once you have the car, I think the bad taste will go away -- or at least I have my fingers crossed for everybody.

10pm on the night before my appointment. Not even so much as an email confirming the appointment. Even Comcast can get this right and they're terrible at customer service.

To say that the delivery experience has been a disappointment is an understatement. I'm hoping things improve after delivery.

I've talked about my delivery experience in several other threads but this one seems like the best place to give an update.

Roughly a week after I got the car I got a survey request from Tesla to tell them about my delivery experience. I filled it out and included a detailed explanation of what happened.

Today I got a call from the Northwest Delivery Manager who had me explain my experience and made it clear this is not what the experience they want to provide. She didn't make any excuses but I explained that I thought it was because they were so busy. She told me that while they certainly were busy that if that was causing them to provide a poor experience they needed to find ways to solve it. She encouraged me to call her if I ever had further concerns with delivery.

I've never had a company actually call me back from a survey. Usually I feel like the surveys never get really read. But it's clear they are listening. Tesla may not be perfect but they seem to be doing a lot of things right.

Simple solution is to prefer to take delivery 2 weeks after the end of a quarter. The local Service/Sales office here in my area has a lot of new cars out front, doesn't seem busy right now and would be the perfect time to take delivery. End of quarter rush? Avoid that.

From the number of cars placed at this location - it appears they may be wanting to sell direct and not even worry about the ordering process at all. The whole "wait 3-months, check online every day, clicking like crazy" then wanting periodic hand-holding by the DS appears to be a high-cost way to handle car buying (for Tesla). By positioning cars in the field, typically bought by buyers in that region, there is a chance that the style and options you want will be available when you want it - right now. And many are closely aligned - like how member frankness did it before quarter-end.

Also, assigning a delivery date by waiting until the car is actually in transit is far better than assigning a Vin # early, assigning a delivery date early and possibly flubbing it up. Vin # should be assigned when the chassis enters the paint department. From there, you know the car is "real". A Vin # three months before production really plays with the buyers' psyche (but works on wall street).

Last edited:
Simple solution is to prefer to take delivery 2 weeks after the end of a quarter. The local Service/Sales office here in my area has a lot of new cars out front, doesn't seem busy right now and would be the perfect time to take delivery. End of quarter rush? Avoid that.

That's not going to help much because you may still have very poor communication with your DS before the end of quarter if they are overwhelmed with the end of quarter deliveries.

Tesla seems to want to deliver overseas at the beginning of the quarter, so I suspect you'd end up not actually hitting that first 2 weeks anyway as they shift their production towards other territories.

A far better solution is that Tesla stop trying to game their delivery numbers and just deliver cars across all their locations evenly, meaning they'll have appropriate staffing to not get overwhelmed.

From the number of cars placed at this location - it appears they may be wanting to sell direct and not even worry about the ordering process at all. The whole "wait 3-months, check online every day, clicking like crazy" then wanting periodic hand-holding by the DS appears to be a high-cost way to handle car buying (for Tesla). By positioning cars in the field, typically bought by buyers in that region, there is a chance that the style and options you want will be available when you want it - right now. And many are closely aligned - like how member frankness did it before quarter-end.

I'd have taken a car that was nearly what I'd ordered but that was available sooner. But that option wasn't available to me. I don't know if that's because no such vehicle existed or because my DS didn't bother to look for that. I honestly can't fathom Tesla wanting to be out of the ordering business because without ordering you have to guess what people want and then hold inventory. When you make cars in advance you make educated guesses about combinations that people want. From past experience that means some combinations are impossible to purchase. I recall my Mom wanted a blue Toyota Corolla with some options that were never put on blue cars. Toyota doesn't do custom order cars. The dealer had to call Japan and plead for them to build this specific car. They managed to get this done. The VIN for that car included the color of the car and it was wrong. That's almost certainly not the experience Tesla wants customers to have.

I didn't want hand holding from the DS. I needed information so I could plan for my delivery appropriately. My first contact with my DS was to try and get a sense of what Late September meant so I could try and finish up so financial stuff before delivery that was planned to be finished in Early October (well before my expected Late October delivery). If Late September meant September 16th then we were going to have to delay delivery. The second contact was when the date disappeared, something that should have triggered an email from Tesla telling all of us what was going on. Instead I had to call them to find out they'd just removed the specific dates before the car was being transported. And the last time I tried to contact my DS was the morning of the delivery. All of those need to contact my DS could have been eliminated by more proactive communication from them. All of which probably could have been automated.

Tesla as was made clear to me on the phone today wants the DS and the customer to have a personal relationship. Clearly they think this is important for the delivery experience. I doubt they'll remove it for S and X deliveries, but maybe they will for the 3 since it may not scale.

Also, assigning a delivery date by waiting until the car is actually in transit is far better than assigning a Vin # early, assigning a delivery date early and possibly flubbing it up. Vin # should be assigned when the chassis enters the paint department. From there, you know the car is "real". A Vin # three months before production really plays with the buyers' psyche (but works on wall street).

I didn't mention it but she did confirm that the delivery date not being set until car is in transport was a policy change.

However, your suggestion that the VIN be assigned when the vehicle enters paint is not a good suggestion. It's almost certain that the VIN is stamped into the metal before paint. VIN should be assigned as the vehicle starts production.

From the number of cars placed at this location - it appears they may be wanting to sell direct and not even worry about the ordering process at all.

What location? How many cars? Tesla isn't suddenly changing to a 'cars on lot' business model. Depending on how many cars you're actually talking about, it's more than possible that some/most of those cars are for customers and just haven't been delivered yet.

What location? How many cars? Tesla isn't suddenly changing to a 'cars on lot' business model. Depending on how many cars you're actually talking about, it's more than possible that some/most of those cars are for customers and just haven't been delivered yet.

I'll check again on Saturday and stop in to ask about them. They got a few truckloads in to end the quarter and had about 8 remaining on Oct 5 and now have 8 more new ones. It's a larger spot on the east coast, in a town called Devon, PA. It's an old Toyota dealership with a huge lot and so they can stock cars there for east-coast deployment (PA/NJ/DE/MD). Not far from the I-95 interstate. They also have two of the Ford trucks with trailers for remote delivery. Whether they are inventory/loaner/new on lot - they will really need to sell off the lot to grow sales overall. Many people will not order custom and want to test drive the actual car that they buy. Looks like they got some new P85+ in. Might check the Vin #s too while I stop in. I know a lot of folks want Tesla to "only" sell custom orders but that will keep the company size smaller than it would get to with disbursed inventory at the larger sales offices.

This is highly unrealistic. People who place orders is very different times during the quarter all received their deliveries at the end of September. Requesting specific delivery dates, or even basic information about delivery status was not possible.

The only POSSIBLE way one might do this is the following:
1. Place your order
2. At first contact with DS, make the following absolutely clear "I will be out of the country (etc.) from Sep 15 - Oct 1, therefore my delivery must be before or after". Of course, this might result in a several week delay over when you might receive your car, and it requires lying to the DS, which I don't support.
3. Make sure that 2 is in writing, and don't budge at any point.

Now, even this won't work well, since there are many reports of the DS trying to scheduling delivery during a planned and notified trip.

Best bet is to place and confirm the order as soon as possible, and then be ready for some delivery stress. Read the forums, get a good delivery checklist ready, and make sure to give a copy to the person who is handing you your keys.

@Krugerrand:
I stopped by the local Tesla sales/service center today. Yes, the 8 cars are still there all with window stickers on them. Most were in the 533xx and 55xxx range, built during September, I assume. All lined up and looking ready to sell. Variety of P85+, P85 and one or two S85. The shop has a quite large service area and about 8-9 cars with customer plates. Perhaps another 3-4 loaners outside and repair units too. Grand total of about 18 Tesla vehicles including three or four being charged on HPWC. I do indeed believe the 8 cars are inventory, for sale and that this is a plan for growth by Tesla, to position a small to reasonable number of cars at sales sites. The negative is that these are 8 cars that could have been built for customer orders elsewhere in the country, even some of those who were "pushed back" due to the August slower factory start.