Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery estimate for new reservations is fall 2018 or later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, although closer to 'mid-2017' we might watch that expected wait. Somehow I really doubt there will end out being substantial cancellations. 'course I am a fan :p and shareholder.
The amount of new reservations after reveal3 will be a lot bigger than those who cancel, I guess :)

I confused over a few things though.

I know that Elon spoke of an "Alien Dreadnought" ( Machines that build Machines that build cars ) will be used to build the M3.

My first question is : How is the dreadnought project going? The dreadnought seems to be a totally different project than building cars. I've not seen any news on this project.

My second question is: In what way is the Freemont expansion going to contribute to the M3's production? There is no way they are even going to get all of the buildings built before production starts. Is this expansion necessary to get M3's out of the door? I've not seen official statements on this either.

Are they going to build M3's with a hammer and chisel before the Freemont expansion or the dreadnought gets completed?

Of course we have tons of speculation all over the place concerning these 2 topics, however I haven't seen anything from Tesla about this stuff.

I confused over a few things though.

I know that Elon spoke of an "Alien Dreadnought" ( Machines that build Machines that build cars ) will be used to build the M3.

My first question is : How is the dreadnought project going? The dreadnought seems to be a totally different project than building cars. I've not seen any news on this project.

My second question is: In what way is the Freemont expansion going to contribute to the M3's production? There is no way they are even going to get all of the buildings built before production starts. Is this expansion necessary to get M3's out of the door? I've not seen official statements on this either.

Are they going to build M3's with a hammer and chisel before the Freemont expansion or the dreadnought gets completed?

Of course we have tons of speculation all over the place concerning these 2 topics, however I haven't seen anything from Tesla about this stuff.
I think the dreadnought project is primarily the Gigafactory. I also think that is going to be built up in stages before it takes full "alien" form. I recently read that Tesla is starting to think about chassis assembly in the Gigafactory instead of at the Tesla factory.

I don't think the Freemont expansion is in any way related to the Model 3. That factory was making something like 500,000 cars per year when Toyota was running it, so it should be able to make about that same amount now. I assume the expansion will be related to future models like the Model Y, pickup truck, semi truck, etc.

Reactions: Jaff
I think the dreadnought project is primarily the Gigafactory. I also think that is going to be built up in stages before it takes full "alien" form. I recently read that Tesla is starting to think about chassis assembly in the Gigafactory instead of at the Tesla factory.

I don't think the Freemont expansion is in any way related to the Model 3. That factory was making something like 500,000 cars per year when Toyota was running it, so it should be able to make about that same amount now. I assume the expansion will be related to future models like the Model Y, pickup truck, semi truck, etc.
Alien Dreadnought did refer the the gigafactory and fremont, yes. (all future Tesla factories). It was also not the chassis, but drive unit assembly. The huge panel press and multimillion dollar paint booth are all in Fremont and they will stay there for the foreseeable future.

The goal is end to end automation from cell creation to battery pack assembly. Eventually an automated method for recycling old packs too.

Any further automation to motor assembly will drive down costs as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative

The "alien dreadnought" quote is from a conference call back in August and he was referring to the ultimate look of the Freemont factory (and possibly future ones) once all the expansions are done. The timeline, IIRC, was about 5 years. So, yes, the factory expansion is related to, and necessary for, the "alien dreadnought", but it isn't required for the initial model 3 production.

Like FloridaJohn said, it will be to get the Freemont factory over the 500,000 units per year and also to, ultimately, fully automate it so that no humans are required.

The website states: Delivery estimate for new reservations is mid 2018 or later
Could you turn this around and say: all current reservations will be delivered before mid 2018?
Probably not, but I would be totally happy with delivery mid 2018 here in the Netherlands