Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Experience with Tesla has been Terrible! (Raleigh, NC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Telling customers to accept a car unseen? That’s shameful. I would not feel comfortable with that in the slightest given their QC issues.

If that is the case for me, then I will video my at-home inspection starting with showing the mileage which should match the mileage of when the car was delivered. That should prevent any possibility of them saying something was caused by driving after delivery.

Yep, I've got my VIN and MVPA . I'll show up on Sunday at my appointed time and see what happens.

was scheduled for delivery 9/24 at Raleigh. Decided to give them a call yesterday, got through and asked them to confirm it. after about a 10 min hold they pushed us back to 9/27.

When i bought my model 3 there last april, I walked in and said what do you have available today?

Purchased a model 3 right on the spot (with my phone) We did all the paperwork and they told me to come pick it up the next day. I guess its a lot different when they can't keep up with demand.

@mhcrowder - do you have an MVPA yet? We received our vin for pickup in raleigh, but still no MVPA

Yesterday was my delivery day @5pm, received a text yesterday @ 12pm saying we reaching out regarding upcoming model Y delivery. I called Tesla and was told while detailing the car they discovered the trunk is misalign its getting corrected. They will be reaching out to me today before 11am to reschedule the delivery. I'm happy they discovered it instead of me lol b/c I would have been pissed that they didn't discover it. hopefully they find and fix all the other defects before delivery. However I'm still a little disappointed.

Quick update, I talked to Tesla to see when will the trunk alignment be corrected and was told they also discovered sanding marks on the hood. nots sure what the fix is or even what sanding marks mean? now delivery maybe sometime next week WTF.

Yesterday was my delivery day @5pm, received a text yesterday @ 12pm saying we reaching out regarding upcoming model Y delivery. I called Tesla and was told while detailing the car they discovered the trunk is misalign its getting corrected. They will be reaching out to me today before 11am to reschedule the delivery. I'm happy they discovered it instead of me lol b/c I would have been pissed that they didn't discover it. hopefully they find and fix all the other defects before delivery. However I'm still a little disappointed.

Quick update, I talked to Tesla to see when will the trunk alignment be corrected and was told they also discovered sanding marks on the hood. nots sure what the fix is or even what sanding marks mean? now delivery maybe sometime next week WTF.

sanding marks!? Likely trying to sand out imperfections in paint. I’d be walking. You can’t add paint back without repainting....

sanding marks!? Likely trying to sand out imperfections in paint. I’d be walking. You can’t add paint back without repainting....
Hard to be sure, but they probably buffed too aggressively and burned the clear coat. It'll make that area look dull since it's just the color and not the shiny part. It kind of looks how you would expect a car would look if you took fine grit sandpaper to it.

Welcome to Tesla, you’re just a number. Car is amazing but customer service is nonexistent on the sales side.

I honestly don’t think tesla has enough people to actually provide adequate customer support. The amount of times I called the person in Vegas to get an update, only to get a “this voicemail box is full” was sad.

I will give props to the Houston team once my car arrived, they were able to bump me up a day and the car? Almost perfect. Only issue was “scratched” vanity mirror on sun visor. Wasn’t scratched. The protective film on it was lol. And if you stare at the frunk to the point where you go cross eyed, you may see it’s slightly off alignment. Not enough for me to make a racket.

These cars do not have clear coats, that is a common misconception. It is single stage paint.
what? Unless you are joking. They have a clearcoat. It might not be as thick or good as other manufacturers but its there.
Yeah, I was surprised by this comment too. There was a rumor years ago they were going to switch to single stage to save money on the base black color. I’m not sure that ever happened, though, and it wasn’t rumored to come to the entire line.

There’s no way OP’s multicoat red paint is single stage.

Well, Sunday was my delivery day. Short answer is that I don't have my new MY. Longer answer is that after a review of the vehicle, which was checking out to be almost perfect, I found a small dent in the rear passenger quarter-panel. The dent is very small and appear to originate from the inside. The Raleigh SC is working on the defect and I'll get to re-exam the vehicle on Wednesday. It was very hard to spot when views straight on, but easily seen when looking down the panel. We'll see if they repair work is satisfactory. I was getting pretty excited that I may not have any external defects to report. Then I found it. I haven't accepted delivery yet so my options are still open.

We'll see what happens Wednesday.

SO, Im a 6 year model S owner and have been using the Raleigh service center since the early days. I'm waiting for my MY with delivery there this weekend.

I'll tell you that I have been impressed with the RDU service team, they have brought me through major failures including battery, drive unit, etc... So I hope that once you have your car, they will take good care of you, and that you will not have the problems I have had on a first production year model S.

Well it's now been almost two days since picking up my MY and I'm extremely happy with the car. I again had difficulty with how I was treated by the Raleigh Service team. The Sales Team was great and the Sales Manager (Hayley) was accommodating and cheerful throughout the whole experience. The Service manager got confrontational when I pointed out what I thought were scratches in the paint which almost caused me to walk away. The scratches turned out to be some residual buffing compound. I did find one paint debris "nib" right above the rear driver side door, but it's hardly noticeable and I'm willing to accept it. The interior was perfect. I didn't find anything to question there. Pickup was scheduled for 5pm and I didn't leave until close to 7pm......and they close at 7pm.

The Raleigh store seems to be doing a pre-prep on the vehicles and seems to be offended if you find something. I even got a "it's within Tesla tolerance" out of them during the exchange with the service manager.

So, to end my story. I've got my Tesla, but it didn't go any smoother than a normal dealer, just differently. With a normal dealer you more haggling over the price of the car, with Tesla you haggling over the condition of the car.

MEET RUBY!

20200924_085250.jpg
20200924_085305.jpg
20200924_085340.jpg

Congratulations!!

Did they give you 1,000 free supercharger miles for accepting delivery before the end of Q3? We’re still missing a VIN, despite being promised delivery by the end of Q3. Trying to follow up with Tesla Raleigh for an update. Since they promised delivery, we want to try to hold them accountable if they fail to have the car ready in time.

Congratulations!!

Did they give you 1,000 free supercharger miles for accepting delivery before the end of Q3? We’re still missing a VIN, despite being promised delivery by the end of Q3. Trying to follow up with Tesla Raleigh for an update. Since they promised delivery, we want to try to hold them accountable if they fail to have the car ready in time.

Who all are eligible for this promotion?

No free Supercharger miles. And I stupidly forgot to use a referral code when I re-ordered my AWD version after canceling my RWD version I ordered in January. So no free Supercharger miles for that either! I wish you luck in you pickup. Hopefully it will go smoother than mine.

Congratulations!!

• Informative
Reactions: TRBo
There’s an article on electrek that states any deliveries accepted before September 27th are eligible for an additional 1,000 supercharger miles. (Though I’ve seen others state they were told “end of Q3.”) In addition, any orders that are not scheduled for delivery are also eligible per the article. Google “Tesla offers extra supercharger miles.”