Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery feedback and pics for SC after a week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Pheadrus - I'm a BMW 750 owner and planning on buying a Model X later this year/early next year. I can certainly see from the detail in the photos included in the PDF you posted that Tesla, as you mentioned, should be focusing on meeting premium-level industry standards. Please take a moment in the future to post the results of the fixes - I've toured the Tesla plant, met a number of the dedicated staff, and I'm sure that Elon and his team will urgently want to address these production issues! It would be great to also hear how they correct your Model X and any others that may have escaped their QA process somehow. That surface rust is particularly disturbing, especially since it looks like the paint adhesion has already failed somehow, given that here in Canada lots of salt falls off passengers boots in the winter and unprotected/poorly protected steel will certainly decay very quickly in the lower footwell recesses. Thank's for posting!

Reading some of the threads and pictures on the forum here, I was pretty scared when my DS said my vehicle arrived earlier this week at the SC. Took delivery today and used the checklist that is on this forum somewhere..absolutely beautiful work done by Tesla..nothing wrong at all. It's the best vehicle on the road. And there was another delivery before me and another after me. All of them seemed to be perfect.

Tesla has definitely got it together and is producing high quality vehicles.

@xkwizit did you take the fine tooth comb at your delivery that OP took to his?
Also, @Pheadrus when did you take delivery vs when did you fine tooth comb over your X?
The reason I ask is that, if I saw same appearance flaws, even if they had no impact on functionality, I would walk away from delivery and have DS call me when ready for prime time. Others agree or is the lure to stop the long wait to overwhelming when you are at pickup?

@xkwizit did you take the fine tooth comb at your delivery that OP took to his?
Also, @Pheadrus when did you take delivery vs when did you fine tooth comb over your X?
The reason I ask is that, if I saw same appearance flaws, even if they had no impact on functionality, I would walk away from delivery and have DS call me when ready for prime time. Others agree or is the lure to stop the long wait to overwhelming when you are at pickup?
I was ready to walk away from delivery if we found anything that couldn't be fixed right away. We used the Model X Checklist from the forum and literally went line by line on it. Except for a couple of inconspicuous places like the under belly of middle row where we found a sticky patch which took them less than 39secs to wipe..we didn't find anything..no rust, no misaligned doors, no missing paint, latest software....the checklist is pretty exhaustive but Tesla did a great job with our car.

I think that simply telling DS you won't take delivery as car isn't ready for delivery should suffice. If you say in writing words to the effect that you're cancelling your order, then the 5k is lost and TMC is free to sell your car to anyone local or distant wanting your configuration.

Great photos and the large font is excellent.

My list of 45 items also included photos. It definitely helps the SC pinpoint the exact problem.

My teenage Signature VIN also had glue on the side mirror, falcon wing seal issues, crease on perforated leather (I have several, it's somewhat normal with the use of fine leather), trunk latch (my detailer added clear bra on the metal flap that it hits), molded trunk liner IS different on each side and the yellow and green cable labels are normal. I did have a second row seat replaced with a bulge of perforated leather on the seat bottom.

The FWD molding issue inside is a cutout that does appear on mine, as strange as that seems!

I did NOT have chrome trim alignment issues, inside molding warp, or the glue streak on the windshield. Your perforated wrinkle on third row seems excessive, haven't noticed the middle seat wrinkles as shown on the floating piece and the rust is very odd.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Great photos and the large font is excellent.

My list of 45 items also included photos. It definitely helps the SC pinpoint the exact problem.

My teenage Signature VIN also had glue on the side mirror, falcon wing seal issues, crease on perforated leather (I have several, it's somewhat normal with the use of fine leather), trunk latch (my detailer added clear bra on the metal flap that it hits), molded trunk liner IS different on each side and the yellow and green cable labels are normal. I did have a second row seat replaced with a bulge of perforated leather on the seat bottom.

The FWD molding issue inside is a cutout that does appear on mine, as strange as that seems!

I did NOT have chrome trim alignment issues, inside molding warp, or the glue streak on the windshield. Your perforated wrinkle on third row seems excessive, haven't noticed the middle seat wrinkles as shown on the floating piece and the rust is very odd.

Hope that helps.

Yes - this helps. Still have not heard back from SC after a week. I assume last week was pretty hectic with a lot of deliveries and Model 3 launch.

Please do keep us posted. I have a mid March 90D. I would say that the seals and trim are in much better shape. I do have the glue issue around the rear view mirror, some amount of grease smearing around the rear hatch latch, and the uncoated metal at the base of the rear seat. The latter is the most concerning, certainly for cosmetic reasons but potentially otherwise. There is no rust but the uncoated steel has a little bit of that look. I can't imagine that this rear seat "uncoated metal" different in any if our cars - looks like it was designed this way. It's probably not going to rust but it's unattractive for sure.

I have the same rear trunk liner wrinkle on the driver side. I noticed it yesterday, didn't notice it at delivery. Very odd.

On the other things, I have one seal issue but nothing like what you're seeing. My seats are UW but have no wrinkles like the ones you show. I'm sure they'll tidy all of that up for you. Great photos. You just made me go out to the garage and inspect a lot of things again!

I've updated my issues list with some new entries and photos. Again, this is not a rant against Tesla. Please do not discuss the need to sell/short all Tesla stock - or rant about how Tesla quality is the worst you have ever seen or that the Model 3 will be a total failure. I am posting here to provide transparency for other Sig Model X owners, and others, and to help overall quality. Is anyone seeing similar issues to what I am seeing? Thanks!

Attachments

• Potential Tesla X Issues v2_web.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 972
......snip....... Coming from owning BMW and Audi - am I being too detail-oriented here with these pics? Is what I am seeing acceptable? And is this too much detail to provide my SC tomorrow?

Thanks in advance for your help. And again, please no "sell now!" or "Tesla is worst. car. ever" posts.
Even coming from Lexus & Range Rover . . . these kinds of things make me glad we haven't configured .... though the emails keep a comin' ... to get us to configure. Once these anomalies become less, then & only then. Thanks for the pic's.
I am officially scared off of buying this car for a bit. Ugh. My kids are going to be mad.
Not me - it'd be better just to take note - so you know what to look for.
I think that simply telling DS you won't take delivery as car isn't ready for delivery should suffice. .........snip...........
Someone who takes delivery with loads of junk not fixed after multiple times (at least several states) can fall back on lemon laws. That's the LAST thing Tesla wants to have flaunting around.

Last edited:
...Is anyone seeing similar issues to what I am seeing?...
It helps to see another Model X in person. I thought I was the only one with problems, until I saw some production Model X vehicles at the "Meet Model X" event.

The Rear hatch molding issue can be helped by moving some of the plastic pieces into place. I did this myself and realized that some of the parts are moveable and can be carefully adjusted to look better. Don't force the parts. It's comforting that some issues are solved with the extra time that the assembly line may not have time for. As long as the part exists and can be adjusted, you might get better results doing it yourself, especially if the service center considers it within specifications. Below is the before photo and the after adjustment photo. This was done by hand without tools. I would not take Model X apart but only adjust the items that are moveable by hand. You may have to readjust after washing the vehicle.

IMG_1211.jpg IMG_1212.jpg

As I see your Rear hatch molding issue photo, it looks to be in good shape. I realize the extra paint areas do look unfinished. Compare with another vehicle and be pleased with that one issue.

Last edited: