Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery not accepted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the sa told me about the dent that morning when I was there to take delivery, they said they didn't want to change my delivery date on such short notice. That said, I think Tesla just banks on the ability to fix these things after delivery. I'm sure other manufacturers have the same problems but maybe have a better process to find issues before a customer sees the car on the lot. This is my first Tesla. They need to earn my trust on repairs first before taking delivery of something I know needs fixing
It’s extremely common. Cars are driven from factory to holding lot, then onto trains, then onto ships that rock and sway their way across the ocean, then off the ships into holding lots, then onto trains, then onto trucks, then onto dealer lots, and all this driving is done by people in a hurry. Dings, scrapes, or worse often happen. But as you guessed, there are points along the way where damage is noticed and repaired.

Until recently, I worked for a foreign automaker. Enough of our cars were damaged in one way or another when they came off the ships that the holding facility at the port had its own parts warehouse and body shop. But even then, some cars were so damaged they were held back from being sent to dealers; the ones that underwent extensive repairs to be considered “good enough” were offered to offices for test fleet or employee use, and the ones that couldn’t be repaired were written off and parted out.

Watching these posts as I 'consider' putting in an order for a MYP. I'm curious about the silver/white color combo, any photos of your car NY_Rob? Thats a combo I am considering, but a little concerned about the white interior as I have two dogs and do a lot of mountain biking/hiking.......you know, outside getting dirty stuff! Thanks.
The MSM with white interior really pops, I added a white center console shell and padded leather white/black armrest cover (see photos). The combination really brightens up the interior and gives it more detail. I also Installed the ModelYShelf which cuts down on road noise and gives me cargo area privacy. Just got the front windows tinted the same (20%) as the rears.. no photos of that yet.. but it's badass!

20201108-135414.jpg

20201120-145508.jpg

20201128-093706.jpg

The MSM with white interior really pops, I added a white center console shell and padded leather white/black armrest cover (see photos). The combination really brightens up the interior and gives it more detail. I also Installed the ModelYShelf which cuts down on road noise and gives me cargo area privacy. Just got the front windows tinted the same (20%) as the rears.. no photos of that yet.. but it's badass!

20201108-135414.jpg

20201120-145508.jpg

20201128-093706.jpg
Love the cover in the back now you just need the white covers for the steering wheel

^ I know someone w/the white wheel covers... didn't really dig them.
With the current setup as you see it, and now dark tinted front windows.. it just pops! Everyone has made nothing but wonderful comments about the white interior. I think it has something to do with the exterior being a dark color, then you open the door an see this explosion of beautiful white leather. It's just super sharp...

Just blows my mind that this lack of QA still exists this far into production.

Just blows my mind that for 50K+ that they would have what seems to be no QA. I have owned quite a few hi end cars (MB,BMW and Audi) never ever had a problem or heard of the problems that seem to be with Tesla. I just hope I did not make the worng choice with this brand. On the bright side ,glad i found this site, gives me information on what to look for

Thnaks

Reactions: cwerdna
Just got a call to reschedule delivery 24 hours before delivery time was set. Five days out because “a small dent” by the door handle. Doesn’t give me confidence. This is my second Tesla and I can say they’re more frustrating than they were three years ago

Same thing happened here yesterday. Car had scratches from delivery damage on the front bumper and rear quarter panel. Going to a body shop for a week. Bummer that my new car needs repairs but grateful they’re transparent and fixing it before I get it. I wonder how many others went through this.

20201108-135414.jpg

20201120-145508.jpg

20201128-093706.jpg
Looks great, thanks for sharing! Making my decision more difficult. I like that shelf as well!

Reactions: NY_Rob
FYI - that tail light condensation is normal. The tail lights on the Model 3 and Model Y are designed to be vented lights. If you look closely in the clear plastic face you will see a couple small holes on them. The moisture will naturally evaporate once the air warms up and will not damage anything.

I agree regarding everything else though. Tesla needs to get their *sugar* together.

Reactions: ratsbew
FYI - that tail light condensation is normal. The tail lights on the Model 3 and Model Y are designed to be vented lights. If you look closely in the clear plastic face you will see a couple small holes on them. The moisture will naturally evaporate once the air warms up and will not damage anything.

I agree regarding everything else though. Tesla needs to get their *sugar* together.
You are correct about the design of the taillights, but I did find it odd that only one of the two taillights had the condensation issue

Same thing happened here yesterday. Car had scratches from delivery damage on the front bumper and rear quarter panel. Going to a body shop for a week. Bummer that my new car needs repairs but grateful they’re transparent and fixing it before I get it. I wonder how many others went through this.
I went through it. They found the damage and fixed it before delivery.

Reactions: bread
I was supposed to take my Tesla delivery today here in Columbus, Ohio vin # 076xxx but ended up not accepting the delivery after noticing the car's issues. There were two-gap issues, one with the hood and two with the tail light on the driver side, including condensation in the tail light. There were some minor issues with the trim above, a couple of the wheels being loose or not snapped in incorrectly. There was a chip in the paint just below the tail light that I mentioned above. There was a mark on the sun visor as well. Now all of these things could have easily been fixed and would have been fixed. Now for the three major reasons why I did not accept delivery of the car and ill post the photos too. One there was problem with the inside the car where the trunk opens from the car The ceiling of the inside roof was sagging, and the rubber didn't cover where the fabric stopped because the top was hanging too low. The second was a crack in the driver side headlight would have needed to be replaced. Thirdly there was a dent in my trunk towards the bottom of it. This dent wasn't noticed during delivery prep but noticed before I got there and was immediately pointed out to me. However, to fix it the whole trunk would of needed to be replaced.
I got a new vin # today, 084xxx. Hopefully, it's not one that was rejected already. Numbers I have been seeing on here are higher. Oh well fingers crossed

Last edited:
Reactions: CleverUsername
I've watched this and similar threads with interest. I have also watched the process at the Dallas Love Field) location. Cars come in off the truck. (I watched TGSV get unloaded, but no touchy, please sir!). Then I see them get into a line inside, where I saw someone minutely inspecting the cars, perhaps making a note here and there. I saw a few guys working on this n that, and saw one car pulled out of line, to disappear into another room. Then those with no obvious defects were instantly attacked by detailers. Serous detailers, lambswool pads, polish, etc. My car was about 8th in line and I had to go, so I blew it a kiss and went to work. They next morning, it was waiting for me, all shinybrite and ready for its forever home.
The point of this is that it appeared to me that the same (if not more intense) process went on which I have seen at dealerships of lesser autos. Obvious defects were attended to in the dealer shop or body works.
Maybe because of the difficulty in purchasing a Tesla in what is otherwise a fairly progressive state, at least Dallas pays more attention. Don't know, but both my cars were as perfect as I could ask when I got them. One at the dealership, and one that showed up at the house with the steering wheel wrapped in plastic, and the deliverer masked, gloved, and gowned.
I wish everyone else's delivery experience could be as good as mine.

2CB69546-4AFA-4053-B40A-0757F753FD2B.jpeg

There appears to be delays. I got a text message 3 weeks ago saying it should be ready in 1 to 3 weeks which by now would have been the 3rd week. Today I checked the website and see this for the first time. No Vin.

Performance, white on white tow hitch, FSD ordered October 13 red and switched to white Oct 19. SA says changing color shouldn’t delay the queue. I had a question text to him on Oct 19, and he still hasn’t responded.

View attachment 614625

There appears to be delays. I got a text message 3 weeks ago saying it should be ready in 1 to 3 weeks which by now would have been the 3rd week. Today I checked the website and see this for the first time. No Vin.

Performance, white on white tow hitch, FSD ordered October 13 red and switched to white Oct 19. SA says changing color shouldn’t delay the queue. I had a question text to him on Oct 19, and he still hasn’t responded.
I would call the service center and speak to whoever answers and get to the bottom of it

I was supposed to take my Tesla delivery today here in Columbus, Ohio vin # 076xxx but ended up not accepting the delivery after noticing the car's issues. There were two-gap issues, one with the hood and two with the tail light on the driver side, including condensation in the tail light. There were some minor issues with the trim above, a couple of the wheels being loose or not snapped in incorrectly. There was a chip in the paint just below the tail light that I mentioned above. There was a mark on the sun visor as well. Now all of these things could have easily been fixed and would of been fixed. Now for the 3 major reasons why I did not accept delivery of the car and ill post the photos too. One there was problem with the inside the car where the trunk opens from the car The ceiling of the inside roof was sagging, and the rubber didn't cover where the fabric stopped because the top was hanging too low. The second was a crack in the driver side headlight would have needed to be replaced. Thirdly there was a dent in my trunk towards the bottom of it. This dent wasn't noticed during delivery prep but noticed before I got there and was immediately pointed out to me. However, to fix it the whole trunk would of needed replaced.
Wow. That is really unfortunate. Mine comes on Tuesday 11/8. I’m now worried again. I ordered the LR and I will reject if there are any issues. Good news is that I will change my order to the performance.