Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery of first Model S to Estonia soon and the road there...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it's now been almost a month and my post count obviously has suffered :D I've now had a bit more experience with the car (odometer showing 1634km) including one road trip and I couldn't be happier with the car. So what are the experiences.

First of all I'm totally impressed by the reception of people of the car. The media event on 3rd was huge and there has been continued interest albeit it's been slowing down somewhat. The latest long review and interview was posted only this week. I've also set up a Facebook fan page for Tesla cars in Estonia with the objective of keeping interested parties informed as well as adding new Tesla owners to it as content providers so that they also would share experiences etc. During the first week the page has gone on to have 322 followers and some posts (like the first road trip that I tracked there) have had over 1300 views. So overall the car is of interest to people. I've also been notified of two car forums which had a thread about the Model S (one was on BMW forum and other was on american cars forum) so I registered at both and have provided with more objective feedback about the cars. Even though they are specialized threads with petrolheads and hard core fans the general reception has been positive. Even found one guy on the BMW forum who has ordered the i3 and have been discussing the charging options etc.

There have been a number of Tesla moments for sure :) I was doing some last minute christmas shopping on the 24th and found at the farthest spot at a huge shopping center a parking spot. Just as I exited a car I saw a BMW rush over, stop behind my car and a guy jumped out telling me he's read all about the car, seen my interviews and if I'd allow him to see the car from the inside for real. I smiled and opened the doors for him ;) Also told him about the FB fan page where I keep people informed and by the time I reached the shopping center I noticed on my phone that he'd already become a fan of it ;) Also today I was driving when I saw a large SUV pull up next to me and not drive past, when I looked over the driver was giving me a thumbs up :) I returned the favor and laughed (it was an american truck so he'd probably heard about this american car). I also do see a lot of people turning heads and in one case a young guy was walking across a pedestrian crossing that and mid-way through noticed the car, stopped and turned back to stare at it ;) Was hilarious, but he was also blocking my way. Oh and sometimes the level of attention gets ridiculous as I was attending a friends birthday party and we were outside attempting to let go of some chinese lanterns (failed due to high winds) and then decided to leave, then all of her guests needed to check out the famous car so I just opened all the doors and trunks and frunks and answered a 100 questions. Poor birthday girl was totally forgotten for a good 30 minutes. I told her later sorry as I had originally only planned to show the car to one person who had asked privately, but somehow word got out and I had 20 people stampeding all over the car.

The whole media stuff has also gone over well in the sense that I already know of 7 ordered Model S's and got rumors from Tesla that a signature Model X has been ordered :) The cars vary from S60 to P85+ and it's really nice to see the interest. I think a major milestone that many people were waiting was something that's called "The Tartu test" which means driving the car from Tallinn to Tartu (and possibly back). The distance is 187km so the return trip is 374km or 232 miles. With temperatures hovering around 0C the other electrics ever tested have all failed in making it even one way or the one Leaf that made it stopped 10m beyond Tartus border and had been driving half of the way at 50km/h. I actually drove Tallinn-Tartu at 90km/h on cruise control and only slowed when the speed limit demanded it a few times. I also made one pass and that's about it. I had charged to 99% and 394 rated km and reached Tartu with 192km left and average consumption of 208Wh/km. I had consumed 39kWh so a return trip and a total of 78kWh would have been perfectly possible. As I was staying overnight and they had an utility plug available I charged to car to 90%, but kept trip A for the whole trip. I then proceeded to go to a car wash the next morning using the heater for 30 minutes to dry the car, then drove some more around town and to another town called Jõgeva. There I left my dogs in the car for 40 minutes and kept the AC at LO setting the whole time to provide them with fresh air. Driving then back to Tallinn I took a photo at 374km total and I had spent 75kWh total so no problems driving back and forth to Tartu. I arrived home with 403.5km driven and 81.2kWh spent. I couldn't have done the whole trip on one single charge from what I know of the battery reserves, but I wasn't far either. The temperature was 2C most of the time over the two days and the car did cool at least 4x between drives and on the return trip it started to rain as well. But overall I averaged around 170-180Wh/km going at 85-90km/h. That's basically better than the ideal range numbers so doing long continuous trips would give me far more range than this trip where I did multiple stops and used the AC a lot while car was stopped. I never turned the AC off and it was between 19 and 20C setpoint all of the trip. So while I had some range anxiety before this trip I have none now :) I already have plans for a dogshow in Valmiera, Latvia in February that is 270km from my home and I plan to get a hotel there (as it's a 2-day show) that can provide me with some kind of charging option in which case I would have no issues. Basically I need to charge back to ~80% to make it back without issues and that shouldn't be an issue even with standard Schuko charging overnight. And in any case I can make it back to some ELMO charger in Estonia and just chill around for 1-2h if I really need it. Here's some visualized telemetry from the trip that I took with VisibleTesla:

Tartus kaik.png

Now turning to the car itself, then what I really love about the car is the acceleration and don't get me wrong, I do love the feeling when you floor it, but I really mean the whole experience. The non-linear behavior of the accelerator allows one to perfectly control the car in city traffic and the regen on standard setting is perfect for city driving with one pedal. I also love the fact that the acceleration is linear. It doesn't feel as crazy while it is actually very crazy allowing me to enjoy the car far more with less complaints from other passengers ;) Also with linear acceleration the stuff you have around the car doesn't fly around as much as the S-curve acceleration tends to do. I also love the huge capacity. I have two huskies who love the trunk space (could fit two more easily) as can be seen:
1452565_697056443660205_330741678_n.jpg

And the frunk is perfect for all the other stuff one needs to carry around:
1492261_10152021516791543_155776662_o.jpg

As already mentioned I've now driven ~1630 km and I have spent ca 400kWh on it that with ~25% charging inefficiency should mean I've taken from the grid ~500kWh of electricity costing me €60 (€0.12 / kWh including all taxes). That's equivalent to 2.9l/100km or 81mpg if one uses the local fuel costs (€1.3 / l). Oh and I've never charged anywhere but home and the one time and my wife's parents place during the road trip :) It's nice to drive past gas stations and smile. Though sometimes I do go in to get a hot dog or coffee :)

One funny aspect that I'm not sure I've already mentioned is the mandatory insurance which is based on kW of the car. And it seems Tesla uses continuous max power output and rates the P85 at 69kW (I guess that's the heat limit for long term power draw). This means that our DMV put 69kW as the official engine rating for the car in the tech passport and now my mandatory insurance is €6/month ;) The voluntary one that covers accident damage where I'm the culprit or the other party is unknown is still €230 / month, but at least the mandatory one was a nice surprise ;)

Hey! Those pups are almost as good-looking as the car! says Mr. Malamute

We experimented with putting Aurora & Borealis in the rear, as in your pic; in the seats; and in the seatback-down full rear. We and they like in the seats best: they are comfortable there and it gives the driver much better rear-view access than when the dogs are blocking most of the back window.

Oh yes: And it lets them blow dog drool all over the back doors and rear quarter panels when we have the windows down.....somehow that never had bothered me in prior vehicles.....

Hey! Those pups are almost as good-looking as the car! says Mr. Malamute

We experimented with putting Aurora & Borealis in the rear, as in your pic; in the seats; and in the seatback-down full rear. We and they like in the seats best: they are comfortable there and it gives the driver much better rear-view access than when the dogs are blocking most of the back window.

Oh yes: And it lets them blow dog drool all over the back doors and rear quarter panels when we have the windows down.....somehow that never had bothered me in prior vehicles.....

haha, with them sitting on the rear seats the trouble is that they tend to get curious at times and want to come up front ;) At least they did in my previous car. With the Model S the distance between the back seat headrests and ceiling is small enough that it discourages them from coming over and keeps them nicely in the back. There's enough space for them to walk around and choose various sleeping positions and they also seem to like that they can look back and up :) Oh and I don't much worry about not seeing out the rear view mirror, that's what the HD rear view camera is for ;) Unless it's muddied up of course ;) Also, if they are stuck in the back they have about the best possible protection in case of an accident. Being on rear seats they'd be flying all over the place, now the rear seat backs would be their protective stop. Then again they did love sleeping on the floor in between the first and rear seats previously and with the lack of gearbox and the flat floor they might find that nice too.