Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery process of model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The compilation of data of tweets notes and facts that this is the ordering sequence of cars being delivered.

First Tesla employees-time ordered doesn't matter - Elon employee
Followed by SpaceX employees "
and then SolarCity employees "

only 6% pre unveil already owned a Tesla-115kX.06 or 6900 cars-That's not many for all regions pre unveil! I suspect 70% of these are West Coast people.

Now for the pre unveil orders-waited in line at stores:
if you have a tesla already in the West - if you waited in line at the store only-you'll be next
Followed by those whom have a Tesla and waited in line in the S, then N, Then E.

Next group-
Those who also waited in line who don't own a tesla pre unveil
about 20k will go to West Region, then S, N, E -I know it is more likely to be about 40k west then 10k to the other regions as tesla is strong on the west coast.

At this point:
This will bring deliveries to about 120k all unveil pre orders will be fulfilled first like Elon tweeted-options don't matter - Yes, this is a tweeted fact!

Then, Tesla will return to those who ordered post unveil/online or in store next day
If you own a Tesla-you'll be first in this group of roll outs-if you ordered early or late the first hours and don't own one you could be in this group-dependent on batch size.
In same sequence: W, S, N, E

In batches of 20k or 10k per region or however Elon feels is respectable to your ordering time. Batch size is not a known number but Elon has said someone who ordered pre unveil in the East will get their car before a post unveil in the West. Tweeted fact from Elon!

Tesla will continue to go around the regions in fair batches in an ordering timeline until all orders are fulfilled.

Your ordering options do not matter! Please get this through your thick skulls. It's more about customer ordering respect and location logistics. I know they make more off an all options car but they expect to deliver 400k with in a year of 2017-2018 to maximize tax incentives.

I, for one and like many others, traveled 250m to order one in a high volume city pre unveil. I suspect due to my estimates I'm around 55k in line. Ordering time is 11:04am the 31st. I expect to configure my car in January 2018 and expect it to arrive April 2018 (delays not estimated in this rough guess) Do I expect delays-absolutely. In reality I'm expecting the car Sept 2018.

Also, remember-if you ordered 2-the second car goes to the back of the line no matter what the time stamp is.

Respect begets respect! -Elon Musk on this exact topic

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I think some people are overthinking the process and should sit back and relax.
Here's the blog post from Tesla posted the week prior to the reveal that outlines the delivery process

"In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region.
Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets. It is not possible to ship to all regions simultaneously because regulators in each part of the world have slightly different production requirements. Staggering deliveries in this way also allows us to provide the best possible customer experience."
based on this, it's pretty simple. delivery will be regional with existing owners priorities within each region, regions (Bay, SoCal, rest of Cal, NW, SW, Mtn, Central, East, etc...) We just don't know the amount of orders they will pick for each region before going on to the next. I do not think there will be any special grouping for in-store orders from 3/31 vs online orders from 3/31.
And does west coast Canada have to wait until east coast US? canada does have different regulations, but not sure it is varied enough to not be able to build as an option so BC could potentially be delivered at a similar time to OR and WA...

I think some people are overthinking the process and should sit back and relax.
Here's the blog post from Tesla posted the week prior to the reveal that outlines the delivery process

"In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region.
Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets. It is not possible to ship to all regions simultaneously because regulators in each part of the world have slightly different production requirements. Staggering deliveries in this way also allows us to provide the best possible customer experience."
based on this, it's pretty simple. delivery will be regional with existing owners priorities within each region, regions (Bay, SoCal, rest of Cal, NW, SW, Mtn, Central, East, etc...) We just don't know the amount of orders they will pick for each region before going on to the next. I do not think there will be any special grouping for in-store orders from 3/31 vs online orders from 3/31.
And does west coast Canada have to wait until east coast US? canada does have different regulations, but not sure it is varied enough to not be able to build as an option so BC could potentially be delivered at a similar time to OR and WA...
Hi all,
My first post here after being a long time lurker.

A useful thread indeed - this issue was bothering me and still is to a degree. I'm in New Zealand and very much at the bottom of the pile in terms of delivery order (being non-US and RHD).

My concern still is - what happens to preorders like mine when round 2 of preorders occurs, or yard sales occur from late 2017? Do I get bumped into perpetual bottom place or does the sequence stand as is?

Also - have sympathy for us early-adopters in foreign lands. We have no SC network and no government incentives :( All I get to do in my EV is drive in the bus lane (yippee).

I'm wondering when the M3 will reach Florida. I'm not a current owner but I did wait in line the day of the reveal. I'm hoping April 2018 to see my car. Of course that's if they are on time with starting delivery late 2017.