Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Quality Review:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to take delivery of my Model Y on the 28th. As a result of all the discussions about the problems Tesla is having with quality, I am a bit anxious.

Several of you have mentioned specific areas of concern and mentioned what a buyer should be sure to look out for.

If we could develop a list here on this thread, it would be helpful to me and, I am sure, to other new buyers.

Thanks.

Don’t be anxious, your Model Y will be fine. Take it home, give it a good wash and wax, if you find any problems you can always have Tesla tweak it. Meanwhile, enjoy the drive it is brilliant!!
This is the most ridiculous advice I have seen on this forum. And I’ve seen a lot.

The model at is PLAGUED with fit and finish issues that no $60K vehicle should have.

OP is asking for a list of things to look out for and you’re telling him not to worry about it.

OP, other members have made checklists. Use the search function. Check everything carefully. Once Tesla has your money, that’s it. If you’re not happy with the car from the get go, reject it until they can provide one where you are.

This is the most ridiculous advice I have seen on this forum. And I’ve seen a lot.

The model at is PLAGUED with fit and finish issues that no $60K vehicle should have.

OP is asking for a list of things to look out for and you’re telling him not to worry about it.

OP, other members have made checklists. Use the search function. Check everything carefully. Once Tesla has your money, that’s it. If you’re not happy with the car from the get go, reject it until they can provide one where you are.

I don’t believe it’s a completely ridiculous advice. Yes, $60k is a huge investment and the OP always has the option of rejecting the car. It’s good to come prepared, but it’s also good to come without anxiety.

The advice didn’t say to be a fool and take the car for what it is, but to relax a little bit and enjoy the experience, good or bad. I agree it isn’t the most productive reply relative to the OP’s request, but I don’t believe it is a ridiculous advice.

There’s really no need to attack anyone in here...

Agreed. you need to make them work for it, honestly.

Got my Model Y 6/27 in OH. Had a couple of things I felt they should fix: unaligned rear seats, misaligned rear quarter panel passenger side, misaligned front driver panel and missing paint. Finally got an appointment at new MI service center 6/13. On 6/10 they texted to say needed to order part for the seats and postponed my appointment to 6/20. Had my car for 2.5 days. Got it back today. Said the rear seats were within alignment and didn't do anything about that. Said they were unable to do any of the body work and I need to take it somewhere else. In the meantime, I was given a Model S loaner which drove horribly- very soft brakes, big whine on the road, and really didn't like to charge. 2012 with ~80,000 miles. I just traded in a 2012 Prius with 100,000 miles that drove way better than that. Kind of freaked me out about the durability of Teslas. (I know it was an early model for the S, and it was probably driven very hard, but still.....)

I still haven't recovered from the sting of $3000 reduction in price that I lost out on, so this could be affecting my judgement... but I do wish Tesla would do SOMETHING right.

That being said, I LOVE my Y.

many of the fit & finish flaws and paint defects won't be found on 16k dollar Chevrolets. I'm still looking forward to being an owner soon, but there is no way Tesla is competing on a QC level with any other manufacturer right now. They're making money because their software and battery tech are superior to the rest of the market.

I remember when Yugo was sold in the US, and when Hyundai first hit our shores. Those were horrible, but today any new car maker has better fit and finish than Tesla, that's my opinion of my reality.

many of the fit & finish flaws and paint defects won't be found on 16k dollar Chevrolets. I'm still looking forward to being an owner soon, but there is no way Tesla is competing on a QC level with any other manufacturer right now. They're making money because their software and battery tech are superior to the rest of the market.

I remember when Yugo was sold in the US, and when Hyundai first hit our shores. Those were horrible, but today any new car maker has better fit and finish than Tesla, that's my opinion of my reality.

The big difference is people were buying Hyundai’s because they were cheap (initially) so they would overlook the poor quality.

No point in worrying - not going to change anything. Go through in as much detail as you see fit day of delivery. That's my plan next week. Different people have different tolerances for what they deem acceptable/not. Hope the fit and finish is on the better side!

Reactions: db93
The only reports you hear are the guys with paint and gap issues. You will never hear from the thousands of owner who have no issues to worry about.
while this is true, this is also why there are "independent" metrics out there like J.D. Power initial quality where Tesla scored dead-last. There are definitely an unhealthy number of defects on newly delivered vehicles. It's probably best to go in knowing that you won't get a "perfect vehicle", but to be honest with yourself about what you're willing to live with, what can be fixed post-sale and what your individual deal-breakers are. I'm cautiously optimistic about my 7/26 pick up, but I'm going in eyes-wide-open based on posts on this forum.

Reactions: Rg3500
Wow...this thread turned nasty quick.

I think what most are trying to say is go in being informed as to what others have experienced but also dont let it stress you out.
I went in with a checklist of 79 items that I wanted to review. Of those 79 only six were deal breakers for me. If anyone of those six were present I would have likely rejected the car. I stressed for days over this (I had four different delivery dates) so my anxiety of spending $60k for a car only to find out on delivery day it was a POS stressed me out daily.

On the day of delivery I was amazed as to how well the paint, fit and finish, and general condition the car was. Zero of my deal breaker six were present. There were only four on my 79 item check list that were present. The four I found were: right rear seat alignment was higher than the center and left seat (almost EVERY Model Y has this problem), the coat hooks didnt extract and retract correctly, and the hatchback didnt latch when it closed and the washer hose wasnt connected to the wipers. The first two are reported but not going to get done until later. The third, they fixed on the spot. The fourth required a mobile service appointment, which has since been fixed.

Since owning for over a week now, I am taking it in next week to address some other issues that some are probably "major" issues and will have the first two (well, really only the coat hooks addressed as the seat alignment still doesnt have a fix) as well as six more issues I have discovered since owning it.

For what it is worth, the other issues are:
Radar is inoperable, most of the time. They think it is a loose cable, misaligned or something. They are replacing the unit.
Several rattles while driving
"Burst of Air" mysterious sound
Color of side cameras (orangish, which may be what all side cameras look like)
Misalignment of Frunk lid (closing a few mm below the nose panel)
Missing two frunk clips for front cowling

None of the issue, except for the radar one, is something I am fretting over. They will fix the radar and everything else in time, and frankly we are ALL early adopters of new tech. Think over every tech innovation released, there have always been bugs and issues. If you want a nearly perfect experience, wait a year. If you want to enjoy the hell out of a kick ass car, jump in now.

Good luck and enjoy the car! Your delivery will be fine, and if it isnt, be prepared to walk away or accept it will take time to fix the issues you discover.

When is it safe to order/accept deliver a car then? Next quarter or next year?!
Next century....

Did you really expect a definitive answer for such question to be answered here? We are shamelessly bickering at each other over of all things, Tesla's shortcomings.

Let me put this as simple as possible. My Y is an absolute delight to have and I have no second thoughts about owning one even through it wasnt prefect from the start.

Take what I just said and form your own opinion.

Agreed. But today there are no car makers churning out the level of fit & finish or paint quality that Tesla is rolling out of their factory. At what point do we stop giving them a pass for being a new manufacturer? I won't give them my money for mismatched doors or splotchy paint.
I chose to chime in on this comment. I agree tje fit and finish should be better .
Tesla still wont disappoint mechanically or with software.
Research this Escalade/ tahoe yukon making people sick.
I spent 100k in 2016 for an escalade platinum.
Foam coming out vent. Fixed scuffed the leather. Back of car dull spot.
Good stuff
Driving low speed jumps like youre rear ended.
Look up the buffering oh my the mechanical issues all over the internet.
Cadillac response wow youre our first complaint.
Years 2915 ,2016 not sure 2017
Also driving constantly checking for open windows...
So point ill live with a panel gap