Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those door bolt scratches shouldn't exist in the first place as the doors, hinges, hinge bolts and body are all painted at the same time.

The door looks like it was removed for some reason and I can even see the orange peel on what I take to be a non robot respray.

Looks like a hastily coverup job, of some major ****up. Car should never have left the factory in this state.

• Love
Reactions: CyberShy and lardog
Yet many people on TMC complaining that we are complaining. I am not complaining rather pointing out the flaws to watch out for.. Its a tough pill to swallow and it's our time that are wasted getting everything documented to get Tesla to repair. So far my Model Y PUP have 26 items documented, pending approval for body shop repairs. Today, Friday is my last day to return it or repair it. Its my second Tesla, love the car and so far they are promising everything will get fixed. We will wait and see.

Album of all my issues.
Model Y PUP Pearl White
I appreciate the technique you have employed with denoting these defects, using pairs of photos for each issue with one to give situational context whilst the other to give a close in detail shot. Actually makes it easier to deal with during your repair phase. Good luck. Cheers.

Almost all of that damage likely happened after it left the factory.

I have a hard time to imagine how that all could have happend to that one car.

- hood
- doors
- backlights

It's all in different places. But maybe it was unloaded from a transporter truck in a very bad way and banged on the ground very hard and a door had to be taken out to repair. If that had happend it is really cover up job, which only makes it worse.

Yes, in similar line of action, we have been unable to get resolution for our paint issue, which they blame on "external factors" (road salt)... the car paint began "debonding" and rocker panels started rusting with only a couple months of ownership. It seems they are taking a "hard line" on the water based paint issue. We are pursuing arbitration. Winter driving is normal use. Indeed salt hurts all cars eventually.. but the first couple months? that's just poor quality. View attachment 545949
They (M3) all need mud flaps do deal with this in the short run.

That rocker area between the wheel wells, in the long run, needs to be painted polyurethane versus sheet metal.

Reactions: Picasso and lardog
Yes, in similar line of action, we have been unable to get resolution for our paint issue, which they blame on "external factors" (road salt)... the car paint began "debonding" and rocker panels started rusting with only a couple months of ownership. It seems they are taking a "hard line" on the water based paint issue. We are pursuing arbitration. Winter driving is normal use. Indeed salt hurts all cars eventually.. but the first couple months? that's just poor quality. View attachment 545949

Within months..... [Jaw drop]

That's really really bad. It's said that you need to go through arbitration. People handling your case have no idea how they hurt Tesla's reputation in the short and the long run.....

Within months..... [Jaw drop]

That's really really bad. It's said that you need to go through arbitration. People handling your case have no idea how they hurt Tesla's reputation in the short and the long run.....

As a business owner I can tell you that Elon is aware of this and actually endorsing it. As they say fish stinks from the head down. If Elon was communicating the message that things like this don't fly, that delivery experience must be flawless, that car paint must be flawless it would be flawless. Or it would be so much better than it already is. Its policy and procedure which is set by Musk.

But he isn't so its not. Social medial campaign by us, all the owners with problems, with photos should be started to get him to change his ways. Otherwise this will just continue until Tesla starts hurting financially. I suspect this will continue regardless until they hurt financially... Social media campaign or not..

Reactions: 5JMJ
I received my White on White Performance with PUP yesterday and just sent off my email documenting issues I found. Overall I feel mine are pretty minor compared to others, but still just too many paint issues. I just sold a 6 year old BMW X3 that had fewer paint issues than the new car I picked up yesterday. Some is due to carelessness I think, and some is due to Tesla's paint process or paint quality. My Model 3 didn't have any paint issues, although many did. I still think the Silver Metallic was a superior paint in addition to hiding imperfections better.

I received my White on White Performance with PUP yesterday and just sent off my email documenting issues I found. Overall I feel mine are pretty minor compared to others, but still just too many paint issues. I just sold a 6 year old BMW X3 that had fewer paint issues than the new car I picked up yesterday. Some is due to carelessness I think, and some is due to Tesla's paint process or paint quality. My Model 3 didn't have any paint issues, although many did. I still think the Silver Metallic was a superior paint in addition to hiding imperfections better.

Pics please! I am waiting for a White on White performance. Not the PuP, but I told my delivery person if he saw the opportunity to pair me with a white on white pup i'd go for it.

Time to update your signature haha.

Pics please! I am waiting for a White on White performance. Not the PuP, but I told my delivery person if he saw the opportunity to pair me with a white on white pup i'd go for it.

Time to update your signature haha.

Was in the progress of updating as you were typing!
Want the good picts or the bad ones? ;) I didn't take too many good ones yet as I was focusing on getting the defects while still under 100 miles (I live about 40 miles away from where I picked it up).

I am debating on returning it as well. I have today to decide, I had the car for 7 days. Love the car but dang I have put in hours of work of documentation as well.
Denny Keep me in the loop. I am likely to go down the exact same path with you out of carlsbad with my white model Y. If you get any good contact info of people at that site let me know. That way I don't have to waste my time going through the process.

Reactions: DennyL
On the gap issues only three were worth noting:
  • Right tail light not installed properly at delivery.
  • Right rear door misalignment.
  • Hood not aligned with bumper.

Various paint defects at delivery including:
  • Near front driver and passenger hinges on body
  • Around driver door striker plate
  • Front of R rear door & body beneath that
  • Trailing edge of R front door
  • Back of R and L rear tire well on bumper
  • Below L tail light on bumper.
This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777
thanks for posting. I got my my in the same co!or and didn't check inside the doors. I found some of the same issues near the hinges. I have a 2016 ms and didn't have any issues. Taking in to get the timeline installed on Wednesday. The delivery woman reported a small paint flaw in the driver's door. Wil see how this gets handeld. My car is quite good as far as door and hatch and frunk alignment.

thanks for posting. I got my my in the same co!or and didn't check inside the doors. I found some of the same issues near the hinges. I have a 2016 ms and didn't have any issues. Taking in to get the timeline installed on Wednesday. The delivery woman reported a small paint flaw in the driver's door. Wil see how this gets handeld. My car is quite good as far as door and hatch and frunk alignment.
Homelink. Stupid autocorrect

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12
Red Y 58xx minor issues -- Fixed at the San Rafael shop --- Paint good - minor post factory paint mars -- buffed out.
So they are not all bad. By the way my Red 3 16xxx was damn near perfect on paint --- 1 minor nib. so just to present there are positive experiences. ( I would be very upset if I had the issues that the OP had)

Reactions: navguy12