Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaning toward returning the car now. The FB group was much more insistent that I return it.

My wife wanted to test drive a Model Y first, but couldn't. When she gets back to town, this will be a good opportunity even if we end up returning the car.

Might turn it in on Saturday after the test drive or wait for what the body shop says about a respray. The paint is so thin, this might be a good way to get a second coat.

• Informative
Reactions: jay35
If everyone tweeted these pics to Elon he may think it's worth fixing since it seems to be al he pays attention to. Perhaps he needs to go back and work or live at the factory now that he has sold all his houses.

Exactly. This is where I think owners with QA issues are not doing enough. I'm not a social media user, but seriously, leverage the platform and post these issues and increase awareness. Too much competition coming, with greater manufacturing power and worldwide availability and serviceability than Tesla. Tesla "software and battery" advantage is not permanent - even the greatest fanboy can't argue it will be. Too many key players leaving Tesla on a regular basis. I'm embarrassed as an American to witness yet again the fulfillment of the 'poor quality' American car cliche. I want Tesla to succeed. But they will not be able to survive on fanboys forever, and need to get their act together now.

Leaning toward returning the car now. The FB group was much more insistent that I return it.

My wife wanted to test drive a Model Y first, but couldn't. When she gets back to town, this will be a good opportunity even if we end up returning the car.

Might turn it in on Saturday after the test drive or wait for what the body shop says about a respray. The paint is so thin, this might be a good way to get a second coat.
Turn it back in. You shouldn't have to waste your time to fix their mistakes.

Exactly. This is where I think owners with QA issues are not doing enough. I'm not a social media user, but seriously, leverage the platform and post these issues and increase awareness. Too much competition coming, with greater manufacturing power and worldwide availability and serviceability than Tesla. Tesla "software and battery" advantage is not permanent - even the greatest fanboy can't argue it will be. Too many key players leaving Tesla on a regular basis. I'm embarrassed as an American to witness yet again the fulfillment of the 'poor quality' American car cliche. I want Tesla to succeed. But they will not be able to survive on fanboys forever, and need to get their act together now.
Yes, in similar line of action, we have been unable to get resolution for our paint issue, which they blame on "external factors" (road salt)... the car paint began "debonding" and rocker panels started rusting with only a couple months of ownership. It seems they are taking a "hard line" on the water based paint issue. We are pursuing arbitration. Winter driving is normal use. Indeed salt hurts all cars eventually.. but the first couple months? that's just poor quality. IMG_1002.jpeg

I am debating on returning it as well. I have today to decide, I had the car for 7 days. Love the car but dang I have put in hours of work of documentation as well.

Reactions: Reeler and raggedy
On the gap issues only three were worth noting:
  • Right tail light not installed properly at delivery.
  • Right rear door misalignment.
  • Hood not aligned with bumper.

Various paint defects at delivery including:
  • Near front driver and passenger hinges on body
  • Around driver door striker plate
  • Front of R rear door & body beneath that
  • Trailing edge of R front door
  • Back of R and L rear tire well on bumper
  • Below L tail light on bumper.
This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777

There's enough wrong with yours that you might just consider returning it and getting another one. I do agree on the paint defects. Tesla still hasn't figured that out despite what some are saying. My M3 I picked up last month had dozens of dust nibs, scratches and other paint artifacts. I've never seen this in any other new car I have purchased.

This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777
That is absolutely horrendous.
For a car that is touted or compared to euro level sedans, there is a very large gap is production quality, quality control, and quality assurance.
From the factory, to delivery prep.
These are obvious issues, and to just pass them on - ludicrous.
"Accept no defects, pass-on no defects."

Yes, in similar line of action, we have been unable to get resolution for our paint issue, which they blame on "external factors" (road salt)... the car paint began "debonding" and rocker panels started rusting with only a couple months of ownership. It seems they are taking a "hard line" on the water based paint issue. We are pursuing arbitration. Winter driving is normal use. Indeed salt hurts all cars eventually.. but the first couple months? that's just poor quality. View attachment 545949

That is completely absurd. No decent car sold today does that. Period. And certainly not in this price range. No car I've owned in the past 25 years, no matter what the price range, would do what you posted. Pathetic and embarrassing. I would Tweet this @ElonMusk and see what he says. If this is "normal" then his credibility is beyond questionable. The only consolation prize for MY owners is that the rocker area is black plastic.

As far as 'water based paint', BMW also uses water based paints and have none of these issues. I've driven BMWs for the past decade, and a lot of rocky/unpaved road use, along with East coast winters, and zero issues like this at all.

Reactions: Juanpelota and teko
That is absolutely horrendous.
For a car that is touted or compared to euro level sedans, there is a very large gap is production quality, quality control, and quality assurance.
From the factory, to delivery prep.
These are obvious issues, and to just pass them on - ludicrous.
"Accept no defects, pass-on no defects."

Over here in Europe this kind of delivery would never be accepted. It would also be over every forum, every serious auto blog, and social media, that Tesla dares to deliver cars in this shape.

If Tesla delivery would try this in Europe on a regulair bases, sales would plummet till the problems are fixed and quality is assured.

US customers should do the same as her win Europe, just reject delivery with this kind of serious issues always ever, without discusion. Just take pictures send the car back and post the pictures on social so upper management and Elon get aware that there are really serious quality problems and that they need to solved quickly as it hurts customers and it hurts Tesla's reputation.

"Never take advantage of customers"
Elon Musk

Is there evidence the China-build vehicles are any better? I hear all the hype about the upcoming Berlin plant, which could be to appease McBart's concerns about Europeans rejecting poor quality like this. It would be shameful to deliver sub-par cars to the American public just because Tesla thinks they can get away with it.

Reactions: 5JMJ
Sadly, this is common. I bought my model 3 about a year ago and it had many paint issues including a huge scratch across the hood that was about 3 feet long. It looked like it had been driven through a dust storm there was so much dust in every crevice and hinge.

Tesla keeps saying they're getting better about these issues, but they keep happening. Their delivery experience is abysmal. Once you get the car, you'll love it, but this is very unprofessional of them.

Reactions: 5JMJ

Looks like a hasty rework of something that went horribly wrong at or just after final assembly.

Is there evidence the China-build vehicles are any better? I hear all the hype about the upcoming Berlin plant, which could be to appease McBart's concerns about Europeans rejecting poor quality like this. It would be shameful to deliver sub-par cars to the American public just because Tesla thinks they can get away with it.

China factories can built any quality you want or like. from cheap totally low quality, to high end products. It just depends on ho much you have to spend and your Quality Assurance and inspection process.

Berlin in Germany and Germany is historically one countries in Europe with car brands with the highest quality. Germans just take no bullshit especially concerning there cars.

Sadly, this is common. I bought my model 3 about a year ago and it had many paint issues including a huge scratch across the hood that was about 3 feet long. It looked like it had been driven through a dust storm there was so much dust in every crevice and hinge.

That's why all US customers should just flat out refuse this kind of delivery and not buy in the hassle of al the after sales fixes. Just planla refuse a delivery like this, take pics and publish them, so upper management knows they have a serious quality problem on there hand.

For this kind of product you can, may and should be critical. Just don't accept sub par products. You as customer are entitled on a near flawless car. Make that know. That's the quickest way to mend this situation.

Tesla keeps saying they're getting better about these issues, but they keep happening. Their delivery experience is abysmal. Once you get the car, you'll love it, but this is very unprofessional of them.

That is why everyone with a bad delivery experience should document it and speak up. Find a proper hashtag and post in social and forums. Make Tesla higher management aware that there is real problem. Don't tolerate bullshit from lower management, sales, or delivery, take up higher and help each other. Doing this is a good thing it helps, you, it helps future customers it helps Tesla.

This is not taking advantage this is just common sense to do.

Was the car made within last week? I think it was within last week that someone posted that they added an extra QC step?

I wonder if this kind of ****ed up finish is due to them hiring new people after factory re-open that have to all be trained, and these cars are their firsts so they are making a lot of **** ups until they get into the groove of it. The door bolt scratches look like someone really struggled to put it in (not like someone who has done thousands of cars).
Those door bolt scratches shouldn't exist in the first place as the doors, hinges, hinge bolts and body are all painted at the same time.

The door looks like it was removed for some reason and I can even see the orange peel on what I take to be a non robot respray.

Oh on a side note. Keep in mind, Tesla is a fast moving company and that is a good thing, development is happening in an incredible pass and is nothing like traditional development and manufactures.

But also implies that Tesla really, really needs your feedback when things like this happen. You as customer can close the feedback loop so this problems are addressed. You can close this loop by:
- Not accepting cars I a bad state
- Take pictures and publish them so higher management becomes aware of the problem
- If it's allowed in your state take video of the whole delivery process including response of sales people

If Elon gets aware of these issues he will respond and mend the situation and improve allover quality. Keep in mind he is a tech geek that is and will stay sensitive to feedback. But the feedback needs to reach him.