Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a checklist somewhere of what we should look for. I have a tentative pickup date of the 13th, and I’ve never had to do a detailed inspection of a car before. Any advice on what to look for with panel gaps?

There's this recent one on the Y specifically: Checklist (video)

There are multiple checklists that are for the 3 but are still good for the Y (try google):
For example: This one or This one

While not a 'checklist' here's a short list of problems I've been tracking:

Coat hanger not closing
Flooded taillight with water
Rear seat rear panel coming loose
Rear seat panels coming off
Rear seats don't go down when you use the buttons
Rattle from rear center seat
B pillar damaged
Steering wheel alignment off
Fender gap/alignment off
Window seal leaky
Missing the spoiler and performance badge
Charge port door not closing correctly
Charge port door stuck closed
Passenger airbag pillar not sealed all the way
Auto park curbed my rims
Rear hatch doesn't close properly
Rear hatch doesn't latch
Driver side window closed by itself before entry - trim damage
Driver side window not closing completely
Liftgate opening height memory erased. Trunk hit the garage door
Stains on headliner
Scratched rims from factory
Dirt in paint
Cover for Heatpump needed to reduce Noise
Condensation inside tail light
AC and heat don’t work at all
Crack in the glass roof
Excess sealant around Glass Roof edges

• Informative
Reactions: 5JMJ
...579x

He said he would document it in their system later. I have heard that one on prior deliveries with nothing actually happening. He said that I had 3 days to note paint issues so I made a service appointment listing the above defects. It only allows upload of 5 photos so couldn’t document all of the issues. It goes to the body shop on Wednesday.
This is the trend that Tesla is doing, pumping out garabage and expect us to accept it. Stop accepting garabage, let Tesla do whatever it needs to do at Fremont to get it right, we cannot except garabage like this. Soon they will realize that they need to change at their end not us. Common, if we love Tesla that much, we have to send a strong message so they can make it right.

This is the trend that Tesla is doing, pumping out garabage and expect us to accept it. Stop accepting garabage, let Tesla do whatever it needs to do at Fremont to get it right, we cannot except garabage like this. Soon they will realize that they need to change at their end not us. Common, if we love Tesla that much, we have to send a strong message so they can make it right.
Again, there is NO evidence that the complaints seen here are systemic. Don't assume that because these users had problems that all MYs (or Teslas in general) have these problems.

Congratulations.
After closer inspection in sunlight I found three very minor issues.
1. The trim below the front seat passenger window seemed to have a few quarter-sized air bubbles under the leatherette. Like it wasn’t quite adhered. Almost flush but not quite.
2. the driver’s side floor carpet piece that goes vertically up the console wasn’t seated. I pushed it in and it seemed to bite fine.
3. The rear of the passenger door seems to go slightly sub flush when closed.

all extremely minor but I guess I’ll report them

I find it funny when people say they expect better paint and fit and finish when paying 60k+ for a car.

Breaking news: The cheapest KIA, Nissan, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, they ALL have better painting finish and panel gap and overall fit and finish.

Even Sandy Munro says Tesla paint isn't the problem. The quality of their paint is fine. It is Tesla's painting abilities that are the problem. And this just covers the paint. Look at the condition of many of the MYs being presented to buyers at delivery. It's laughable, but as noted above, as long as people accept the crap quality then Tesla will continue to crank em out. Hey, it must be all about the bottom line (i.e. earnings) for Musk right now. Maybe it will change, and hopefully soon since I still plan on taking delivery of a MY this year.

Reactions: 5JMJ and NY_Rob
What can I do? She said she couldn't email anything or do a Due Bill. She said only text. Her summary hits on some of the points, but not everything. I asked her to enumerate them and no response. This is par for the course at the Denver delivery center in my several times interacting with them.

They have the car in their possession within the 72 hours to get paint issues fixed. If it still has any when they are done, it is because they were there when I left it with 25 miles on the ODO. Basically, they had chain of custody.

Whatever. I bet they will hedge on fixing, I will tell them to keep it, and accept my Tesla purchase ban. Spending some half mil over the years with Tesla doesn't mean much these days. In a year, we will have VW, Nissan, Chevy, and Volvo out with small SUVs. Perhaps my wife will want one of those. Without any real competition, Tesla is pretty arrogant.

@Reeler any update on the status of your Model Y?

I can. It's accurate to say that some customers willingly fill the role a conventional dealership "prep" team would perform.

It is inaccurate to imply or state that this is the norm.
Do you have that some Numbers?

Furthermore, in business, a bad review is one too many.
If you may or may not recall. Tesla started out as the very first car company strived to be the leader in EV technology and CS.
They did everything right by not wasting money on advertising and relied instead on words of mouth.
And then, Musk (yes, he’s the only one responsible) decided to cut corners and here we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: teko
Do you have that some Numbers?

Furthermore, in business, a bad review is one too many.
If you may or may not recall. Tesla started out as the very first car company strived to be the leader in EV technology and CS.
They did everything right by not wasting money on advertising and relied instead on words of mouth.
And then, Musk (yes, he’s the only one responsible) decided to cut corners and here we are.
Do you have numbers to show that the bitching and moaning we read here is typical? Selection bias, maybe?

You're talking about an $80,000 car vs a $45,000 car. You think they might be a bit more anal with QA for the former?

Does that mean they "cut corners" on the latter, rather than simply focusing a higher level of QA on the $80,000 cars?

Reactions: navguy12
@Reeler any update on the status of your Model Y?

I brought it back for a due bill and repair with 26 miles on the odometer within the 72 hour paint complaint window. I found other issues too along the way too so we were up to 18 or something. Never got them to itemize a list that had me pissed off. After review by the onsite body shop folks, they decided that it would be best to take the car back and waive their purchase ban. They offered up that the fixes would not be satisfactory to me. I bet an unsuspecting buyer might miss them though.

After seeing so many posting similarly damaged cars on FB, my wife was fine with waiting before she buys a new car. Right now the Model Ys are made in a tent with lots of new/temp personnel because of the COVID and shutdown. The cars look like they are made in a tent by clowns. I will keep watching to see when quality settles out, but I am thinking early 2021 or maybe once the new paint shop comes online. I think at this point, there are very few deliveries that don't have issues for anyone who scrutinizes things. I got too pissed about this to not go into super-QC mode if another one gets offered to me anytime soon.

Folks should be warned that they only do touch-up paint and then sell it to someone else. The VIN was 5799 and probably is already in another persons hands.