Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm due to pick up my car on Wednesday and just got this ridiculous text from Tesla saying:

qte
Due to the global supply chain challenges impacting the industry, your Model 3 maybe delivered without the two usb-c ports and wireless charging functionality in the front of your vehicle. You will be able to charge your phone with the USBC ports in the back of your vehicle. Once available, we will invite you to a service appointment to retrofit the ports and activate the wireless phone charging functionality. The 10 minute appointment can be scheduled at your home address.
unqte

Now is it me or is this absolutely not on? Delivering a car that isn't completely built with half the functions missing? Other car manufacturers would never think about doing that. I'm not really happy about this.

Anyone who recently had a Q4 Delivery in UK/Ireland had any of these ports/wireless charging functions missing? I want to know whether to expect it or not.
Elon Has your money.... he does not care any more....get used to it

May just move it to the console well
If you are going to use sentry cam then it is safer to keep it in the glovebox, deters someone from smashing a window and removing evidence (not that the glovebox lock is going to stop someone determined but they would probably need some sort of lever to get in and not just a rock they found lying around).

If the alarm goes off then it would appear that the footage now gets saved to MCU after a fairly recent software update. So hopefully an intruder will not have access to the media in many circumstances irrespective of where the media is but I do agree that if keeping media in glovebox if possible is still the best place.

Maybe an alternative option if the glovebox is used for storage is to use a stubby thumb drive - although heat dissipation on smaller drives then needs to be considered. From experience I wouldn’t recommend a solution on a flying lead unless the media was secured in place - movement that affects the the plug whilst driving initially caused sporadic issues for me that were not resolved until I Velcro’d the media in place (to the underside of the earlier console phone flap) to stop it moving - and later used a similar solution that also restricted movement.

For those that got a car without front USB/wireless charging - do your rear USB ports work?

I plugged in a working cable that I usually use with my Mac and iphone/airpods and it wasn't charging my iphone.
The glovebox USB is working though as sentry mode is recording fine.

Yep called service today re my wheel balancing issues / steering wheel vibration. SC said they could see I had a mobile service appointment for the USB next week but advised parts will only be available in mid / late January which tells me it could take me even longer. Now it’s fine and will get sorted and I knew there was a possibility my car would come without this but how long is acceptable to wait. 2 / 3 months??

Same as I have seen for others - booked a service for the interior said missing front usb c and no wireless charger, text replied back we will retrofit them when the parts come into stock and we will contact you for a service appointment. Happy with that, but Tesla really should have told the owners up front - most if not all would understand we all know the worldwide chip problems, but to not say anything is a bit mewwww.