Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dented my door badly, looking for a rough repair estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1674955469405.png

Made a really tight turn and hit some really solid ice and damaged the passenger side door on my Model Y. Looking for a rough cost estimate for repairing the damage. Obviously, nobody can give me an exactly accurate figure, but having a ballpark idea would be nice to know when shopping repairs.

View attachment 900870

Made a really tight turn and hit some really solid ice and damaged the passenger side door on my Model Y. Looking for a rough cost estimate for repairing the damage. Obviously, nobody can give me an exactly accurate figure, but having a ballpark idea would be nice to know when shopping repairs.
I don't know where you are in New York but if you are not far from New Jersey check out Branning Automotive Group.
They are recommended by Tesla. When I took my Y into a Tesla SC to repair two paint chips on my lift gate they were unable to do it and referred me to Branning. Branning not only did a great job, but the best part was they did not charge me.

Attachments

• Tesla Lift Gate Damage IMG_9533.JPG
    Tesla Lift Gate Damage IMG_9533.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Tesla Lift Gate After IMG_9534.JPG
    Tesla Lift Gate After IMG_9534.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Tesla Repair IMG_9535.JPG
    Tesla Repair IMG_9535.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0
Ouch...sorry to see that.

I got curious when I read the bukets0fun's comment about aluminum. I was under the impression that the body was steel. Turns out that it's mostly steel, but the door skins are aluminum, which makes that a pricey thing to fix.

Blue, red, and yellow in the below diagram are different grades of steel. Gray is aluminum.

View attachment 900987
Thanks for the investigative work - TomB985! Do you have any ideas how expensive is "expensive"? Like $5k+, $10k+?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the investigative work - TomB985! Do you have any ideas how expensive is "expensive"? Like $5k+, $10k+?

I do not. Collision damage varies widely because of shop labor rates and how they address underlying damage.

I think they meant replacing the door. Your dent is larger than a quarter size and is at the angel edge, not on the flat surface, I think this is pretty tough to fix/repair it.
I'd be surprised if they replaced the entire door. Usual procedure is to replace the outer skin for something like that.

1675108225900.png

Upvote 0