Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Describe your initial impressions upon new delivery of 2023 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery in June of a Califrnia buit MYLR. Enjoy the car for most other features. Cons: Bit of a rattle trap for a new car. Range says 310 ish, reality is less by a good amount unless you want to draft big rigs at 65 mph. Ride is firm in th context of handling corners, crap entering or exiting parking lots for example (Which do you do more)? If someone has a drink with no lid = wearing it. Think abrupt side to side rocking like an empty pickup truck. I can't imagine what 20" wheels or bigger must be like. I have 19s and it is my least favorite thing, and the lame door handles. Someone has to come up with a better way. If I could get decent money for it, I would trade it tomorrow. Model S, Lucid, Rivian 1S with no hesitation.

'

• Funny
Reactions: SPadival
Took delivery of Oct2023 Shanghai built MYLR with 20" Induction wheels.

5 days in and loving it!
  1. Drives beautifully, handles well and is smoooooth. Suspension is firm, but not harsh, which results in a great ride and handling. In fact I think it rides the more abrupt surface changes more smoothly than my previous BMW X3 with M Sports suspension.
  2. Acceleration is just unbelievable. Yes, MYP even better, but it just isn't needed (for me).
  3. Not a rattle to speak of (and I am driving without music on to check for these).
  4. A bit disappointing in the voice recognition. My iPhone Siri does a much better job.
  5. Struggling a little with the seating position, as the way the headrest lean forward is causing me to lean forward all the time... just need to find the sweet spot.
  6. I love the door handles, but my wife and son do struggle a bit - like most things its a matter of getting used do a different paradigm.
  7. Like most, still working out charging, but will get there.

Getting Stealth Towbar installed next week, and the following week front window tint, PPF (front), pillar delete and Ceramic coating... then it will look even more awesome and be easier to keep clean!

Reactions: moa999
5 days in and loving it!

Glad you’ve acquired the Tesla grin 😄. Even after 4 years, it never completely goes away!

A bit disappointing in the voice recognition. My iPhone Siri does a much better job.

‘Twas ever thus. The most annoying aspect of this is when the voice recognition correctly translates your voice to text, displays it correctly on the screen, and then the car does something completely different to what was asked, or nothing at all. I mean, WTH?

Took delivery of Oct2023 Shanghai built MYLR with 20" Induction wheels.

5 days in and loving it!
  1. Drives beautifully, handles well and is smoooooth. Suspension is firm, but not harsh, which results in a great ride and handling. In fact I think it rides the more abrupt surface changes more smoothly than my previous BMW X3 with M Sports suspension.
  2. Acceleration is just unbelievable. Yes, MYP even better, but it just isn't needed (for me).
  3. Not a rattle to speak of (and I am driving without music on to check for these).
  4. A bit disappointing in the voice recognition. My iPhone Siri does a much better job.
  5. Struggling a little with the seating position, as the way the headrest lean forward is causing me to lean forward all the time... just need to find the sweet spot.
  6. I love the door handles, but my wife and son do struggle a bit - like most things its a matter of getting used do a different paradigm.
  7. Like most, still working out charging, but will get there.

Getting Stealth Towbar installed next week, and the following week front window tint, PPF (front), pillar delete and Ceramic coating... then it will look even more awesome and be easier to keep clean!
I LOVE our MYLR however there definitely are some very annoying things that most (frustratingly) I'm sure could be resolved with a software tweak.

Thanks for the suggestion - I will try this one...

I had followed the procedure in another thread which was to set the charge limit to below the current SOC (in my case using 55% SOC and 50% limit) but that didn't work to prompt the firmware update unfortunately.

Will try this one!

Voice recognition for one!

Not letting the UMC charge at the full 10A it is rated for... just two that are my current little annoyances.

For voice recognition make sure you set it to "British English" I've found it absolutely flawless, even with really obscure street names it was 10000x better than my Mazda, much better than Google, etc.

I have heard of others having issues when it wasn't set to British English though

Reactions: elddum
For voice recognition make sure you set it to "British English" I've found it absolutely flawless, even with really obscure street names it was 10000x better than my Mazda, much better than Google, etc.

I have heard of others having issues when it wasn't set to British English though
It is nowhere near absolutely flawless. Closer to absolutely useless But workable if you use an american accent, even set to british english. What is annoying is that the version I had when I purchaced the car was absolutely flawless.

1. Voice control as mentioned earlier.
  2. The fact the wing (external) mirrors can't be saved in the correct position for parking.
  3. The windscreen washers set on auto are inconsistent.
  4. GPS is at times bizarre.
  5. Cruise control can be scary at times as per Paulp.
  6. Inconsistent Bluetooth connectivity.
None of these things (and others that crop up here and there) are deal killers, as I said in my post I love the car. The frustration is that they can (most likely) ALL be fixed with software.

Not many people have actually driven a late 23 MY RWD on 19’s back to back with the late 22 MY RWD on 19’s with the same tyre pressure. Funnily enough my work colleague has one so I could do this tomorrow and report back. I have run as low as 34 psi on the Hancooks but they get squidgy and wear the sidewalls at anything under 40psi. They’re just designed to run high pressure. I’ve looked into the Teins and people report they are transformational - even going from late 23 comfort suspension - however what I found cheapest was to think about how inefficient and slow a dual suspension mountain bike is to pedal along a flat road - this is why our suspension is hard - it’s for efficiency. That made it bother me significantly less. The lack of conventional manual control of the wipers and the hot glass roof have annoyed me in the past, but I’ve made my peace with them now. (I got a shade for summer and just put up with the *sugar* wipers)

reverse into the spot
The Hankook have actual width at the rims that correspond to the stated tyre size. However the width of the road contact area is narrower than the stated width. This is to improve rolling resistance and also the curve in the sidewall slightly improves drag (wind)

So the tyre pressure has to be high or else the shoulders will contact the road.

Reactions: elddum
The Hankook have actual width at the rims that correspond to the stated tyre size. However the width of the road contact area is narrower than the stated width. This is to improve rolling resistance and also the curve in the sidewall slightly improves drag (wind)

So the tyre pressure has to be high or else the shoulders will contact the road.
Makes sense - explains why the wheels grind on kerbs so efficiently too

• Funny
Reactions: elddum and meloccom