Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Describe your initial impressions upon new delivery of 2023 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We set ours to 36psi for 5000km. The comfort level is so much better. Have bumped it up to 42psi for 5000km and yep it's harsh.
It does shine with the higher psi when on the highway at speed.
Alternating between the two for tyre wear.
We do this for all our fleet cars to help prolong the tyres. So far it has worked well.
So I guess you just live with the tire pressure warning on all the time? The warning comes before 38psi according to my understanding.

One thing I am considering is tire pressure. Tesla recommends 42PSI. Interestingly the EV6 and Ioniq 5 recommends 36PSI and they are heavier cars…. Mercedes EQA is 40PSI and polestar 2 is similar to Tesla. Audi Q4 e tron is 32PSI as is the BMW ix1…. All of which are heavier than the model Y. This may partly explain why the ride is better as well.

Elon Musk once famously tweeted if you want a better ride, lower the pressure by 10% and you lose 2% of range. That trade off is worth it for me for sure if it leads to a noticeable improvement in ride quality.

10% lower tire pressure equates to around 38PSI. Although my understanding is that the tire pressure warning system kicks in at below 38PSI which would be annoying and somewhat inconsistent with what he said…. There is a range to be fair of between 40-45psi. So I guess 39-40PSI would be safe.

Anyone experimented with this in Australia?
My Model S is noticeable rougher when I use 45psi instead of 40psi.

Reactions: paulp
I just picked up a 23 MYP in March. I was holding off because previous year Teslas I’d rented drove like crap (compared to my Acura at the time). But, I finally caved and bought one for 23. My first impressions were, “WOW I love this car!”

I’ve now put 2500 miles on it, and I can definitely say, the ride is fantastic! I drive mine in sport mode and always keep the suspension stiff. But here’s the other thing… I travel. A lot. And when I do, I rent cars. Maybe 50 a year. I can say that many of the complaints I hear on this forum about the MYP can be found in every other car. I’ve rented Audis, Maseratis, BMWs, Acuras..: and every time, when I get back to my MYP, I’ve found it to be superior in noise and ride quality.

I rented BMW M Sport today. While a fun car to drive, the suspension was loud. The steering was loose. The car felt, off. Now, I’m sure if I drove it every day I might feel different. But, I don’t. And at the end of each trip, I look forward to getting back into the quiet cabin of my MYP.

So, comfort is in the eye of the beholder. We know that. I drive enough cars that I feel comfortable saying my experience has allowed me to rise above bias. I still love to drive lots of cars. But I look forward to driving my MYP the most. 2023 made a huge difference. I won’t even rent 2022 MYs. They're great cars, but the new suspension did it for me.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and Dayreg
I've only got 1,000k and a couple of weeks on my MY RWD, but here's my initial thoughts:
I love the car, and find myself looking for excuses to drive some where.
I'm very impressed with the build quality. I have very good panel fit all round, no loose bits anywhere and no squeaks or rattles at all.
I find the ride is great. It is on the firm side, but that suits me. Compared to my previous car - a Subaru Forester - it is tighter and less wallow.
Quietness in the cabin is amazing! Not just the obvious lack of engine and transmission noise, but the lack of wind noise at any speed. The only sound I'm aware of is tyre noise on coarse sealed roads (eg parts of he M4 motorway!).
This car also has the best steering feel I have experienced in a car with electric power steering. The Forester and the X-trail before it had 'dead' steering, but the MY is nicely weighted, has 'feel' and a great steering ratio. This is with the steering set to 'normal'.

I love one pedal driving and adjusted to it immediately. Getting into an ICE car yesterday I found myself driving for the brakes too suddenly because the wasn't slowing when I took my foot of the accelerator.

Still working out the charging regime. Only charging at home at the moment using the UMC with a 32A tail plugged into a dedicated circuit in the garage. However that is proving problematic due to serious voltage drop on that circuit if I crank the charge rate up full. Probably wrong wire gauge in the circuit. But seeing I have 3 phase available, I'm installing the Gen3 wall charger next week which will resolve the issue.
My mileage is mixed (being able to work from home a lot of the time), but I find myself topping the car up anytime there is a sunny day (using excess PV power). We'll see how it pans out in the longer term.
So overall, I'm delighted. and looking forward to some road trips once I stop work later this year.

Anyone found a good fix for the front passenger seatbelt buckle hitting the side plastic and making noise?
I find that if the seat is angled slightly more backwards, then the buckle hits the soft part of the seat cover rather than the hard plastic. So, when there's no passenger in the car, I lean the sat backwards enough for this. Most of the time, when a passenger gets in, they don't even notice the changed seat position.

I've had my RWD for about 3 weeks and have had it PPF'd with Xpel Stealth and a ceramic coating, all windows tinted with ceramic film. Really like the overall look.

Overall very happy with the vehicles build quality and ride, the updated suspension is a real improvement. Steering is very direct/sharp when compared with a typical SUV which some people may not like. Home charging is a breeze with the Gen 3 wall connector which I have wired on 3 phase so get 11kw and hour. Feels like a great purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_3258.jpeg
    IMG_3258.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 146
Anyone come from a dual motor S to a Y LR? How does the performance compare? I drove a Y RWD, and was surprised how much slower it was off the line than a 3 RWD. At the time there were no LR's in the country so I could not compare - it's the only model/variant I have not driven yet.

and was surprised how much slower it was off the line than a 3 RWD
Of course it will be slower - its a bigger heavier vehicle with the same motor as the M3
While everyone is different, I am not concerned about acceleration off the mark - I don't need/want to be the fastest off the mark at the green light 👍
It has 200kw and 400Nm torque (round figures) which is plenty for any SUV.

Im getting the Dual motor not because it is faster but because of the AWD.
I would be happy if the Dual motor had were smaller and had peak power the same as the RWD. Smaller motors = less weight = more range.

Last edited:
On my Model 3 LR with 18” tyres, the tyre pressure warning icon appears on the screen when the pressure falls to 36 psi. I know because I currently have a very slow leak in one of my tyres and have to pump it up again every 2 weeks.
My experience with tire pressure warning systems is it watches the difference of pressure in the tires. If they are all set to 30psi (not a recommendation) it’s happy, because everything is even.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Anyone come from a dual motor S to a Y LR? How does the performance compare? I drove a Y RWD, and was surprised how much slower it was off the line than a 3 RWD. At the time there were no LR's in the country so I could not compare - it's the only model/variant I have not driven yet.
The model Y RWD is certainly slower off the line than any other Tesla but in the helpful area of 80-120kmh acceleration it has plenty of punch- Which is the best Model Y variation?

Reactions: aegidius