Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio for Everyone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most recent invitation to design appeared to go to about 4500 folks (an increase from prior invitations).

Someone who just reserved (US-based) said they were reservation number 23k or thereabouts.

If they continue to invite 4500 folks each Monday through the end of the month of December, they'll get really close to everybody who had reserved at the time the announcement was made that the opportunity to design would be available by the end of December.

So, for US-based folks, I think they're on target. If you include non-US folks in your definition of "everyone" --- I don't have a clue as to when that will be.

[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]“We will invite the next group of reservation holders to configure in the next few weeks. We hope to invite all current reservations holders to configure their cars before the end of 2015.”

I thought that it was not specified only US by the end of the year. Hoping EU will start this year as well but I´m not expecting it.
[/FONT]

“We will invite the next group of reservation holders to configure in the next few weeks. We hope to invite all current reservations holders to configure their cars before the end of 2015.”

I thought that it was not specified only US by the end of the year. Hoping EU will start this year as well but I´m not expecting it.

I'm pretty sure the "...invite all current reservation holders..." meant US reservation holders only. I'd love to be wrong. It's been painful watching people with recent reservations "jumping" in line in front of my Feb 2012 reservation. :-( Doesn't seem fair. Maybe I'll go complain to the guy who owns the restaurant down the street and get $1 off my order. <j/k>

Not yet

The most recent invitation to design appeared to go to about 4500 folks (an increase from prior invitations).

Someone who just reserved (US-based) said they were reservation number 23k or thereabouts.

If they continue to invite 4500 folks each Monday through the end of the month of December, they'll get really close to everybody who had reserved at the time the announcement was made that the opportunity to design would be available by the end of December.

So, for US-based folks, I think they're on target. If you include non-US folks in your definition of "everyone" --- I don't have a clue as to when that will be.

I'm number 14,851 and in the US. I have not heard a word. Two months ago, I was told that they would open it up by end of year. I can't understand why they would go out of order. On my Model S order, I was delayed as I selected the red color, but since these are not configured, what reason would there be for jumping ahead to 23K?

I will post here when I receive my invitation and I would invite others to do the same.

I'm number 14,851 and in the US. I have not heard a word. Two months ago, I was told that they would open it up by end of year. I can't understand why they would go out of order. On my Model S order, I was delayed as I selected the red color, but since these are not configured, what reason would there be for jumping ahead to 23K?

I will post here when I receive my invitation and I would invite others to do the same.

They are at just above 9,500 now. At 4,500 or so every Monday, there will be another 13,500 invitations to design by the end of the month (there are three Mondays left in December). That would take the total invitations up to the 23k number.

Silly question that I should know, but how in the world do you find out where you are 'in line'? I have a reservation number that starts with RN, but if the rest of that number is my actual place in line then I won't be getting my X until sometime in the 2030's! Lol

Silly question that I should know, but how in the world do you find out where you are 'in line'? I have a reservation number that starts with RN, but if the rest of that number is my actual place in line then I won't be getting my X until sometime in the 2030's! Lol
Early reservations were also given a sequence number. At some point, they stopped making the sequence numbers public because people were using that information to project Model X demand. Unless the reservation terms & conditions have changed, you will still be invited to configure in the order in which you reserved. This, however, has no effect on the sequence in which you car will be built.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the rationale to not having the design studio public? What harm would there be?
As Tim said, they want to sell what they can build *NOW* which is Model S. Someone who places an actual order for a car with all details confirmed and a non-refundable deposit would reasonably expect to be able to get their car in less than 6 months to a year. That's not yet the case for the Model X. (Notice, I didn't say it was impossible, just not a reasonable expectation).

Meanwhile giving Model X Design Studio access to us crazy people who gave Tesla $5K or $40K up to 3.75 years ago is a safer bet. We've already been waiting so long, what's another 6 to 12 months? Anyone who still has a deposit on a Model X from 2-4 years ago has already demonstrated the patience of a saint.

As Tim said, they want to sell what they can build *NOW* which is Model S. Someone who places an actual order for a car with all details confirmed and a non-refundable deposit would reasonably expect to be able to get their car in less than 6 months to a year.

Actually it looks like people are getting their MS is a matter of 4-5 weeks currently fwiw

Actually it looks like people are getting their MS is a matter of 4-5 weeks currently fwiw
Yes. I was talking about the Model X. If they gave the general public access to the design studio for the Model X today, people would undoubtedly lock in their orders and deposits. And there is no guarantee or even a reasonable expectation that these people would get their cars in less than 6 months to a year, even if they order a fully loaded top of the line P90D. With the Model S, if you lock in an order, you can expect to have it within about a month. For a made-to-order car, that's pretty darn good. Eventually we should get there for the X too. But not right now.

Last edited:
I don't know how people are equating the RN number to position in line or how many have reservations have been placed. The first two digits may identify a geographic region, mine is 48 which coincidently Arizona is the 48 state to join the union. For the remaining digits, I'm in to the low 5xxxx, do they indicate that they have 50,000+ reservations for the X or total reservations for all models of 50,000 or none of the above? I reserved late October but not sure how someone who "recently ordered knows" they were 23K from the RN number.

Last edited:
Depending on when you reserved, the sequence number may still be in the source code of your "MyTesla" home page. View source on the page and look for: p class="vin_sn" - then a # sign and a 4 or 5 digit number. That's the old sequence number. If you reserved more recently (like after the launch) then I believe that is blank. But I have seen at least one person say they called Tesla sales and found out their sequence number.

As others have mentioned, sequence number will determine when you get invited to configure your car, but it won't "guarantee" the order of delivery. That depends on configuration and when you confirm.

Not taking orders for the X does not make any sense. If people ONLY want a Tesla, sure they'll buy the S. But if someone is cross shopping the X against the luxury CUV segment, then it might be better to take orders from those would be Cayenne, GLS, XC90, Q7 customers. Besides, someone might want a P90X that Tesla could deliver in the first few months so they wouldn't even need to wait 6 months to get their car.

They don't have the design studio open to everyone simply because they aren't ready to put the X into production.....

I agree with you simplejack. Elon is still not ready to crank up production. Opening up the Design Studio 'early' is just to appease reservation holders. Hopefully, tomorrow, another batch will be given access to configure. Tesla knows that we will still have to wait for an unknown delivery date.