TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Design Studio Update: "Lane keeping and self-parking updates will be available soon."

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by commasign, Mar 10, 2015.

1. commasign

commasign Active Member

Just noticed that in the Design Studio, Tech Package with Autopilot option, at the bottom it now says "Lane keeping and self-parking updates will be available soon." I don't remember seeing this statement before. In the past, it just said the previous sentence (which is still there) "Autopilot features are made available through progressive software updates." Given all the slack Tesla has been getting from us about missed deadlines/promises, I'm surprised they would use a statement like that rather than "coming months" or "next few months" or "spring/summer/winter, etc.,".

Here is what Oxford Dictionary says about the word "soon":

soon, adj. : Oxford English Dictionary

2. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Many Tesla products have been "coming soon" for well over a year.

3. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Here's what the Tesla Dictionary says about the word "soon":

soon (so͞on/) adverb: Some time in the near future, but not as near as you or anyone else would think, and in some cases not near at all or never.

4. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    The wording is not the same on the Canadian store :

"Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates. The current software version is 6.1, which adds traffic-aware cruise control and automatic high-low beam headlight."

The first sentence is the same but the 2nd one does not refer to future features.

5. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

6. llavalle

llavalle Member

Typo on my part, I was also refering to the canadian design studio, not the store.

I don't see it.. Maybe I'm hitting an old version? (Tried refreshing and everything)

CanadianDesign.png

7. thebishop

thebishop Member

See bullet points 2 and 3 in your picture! :)

8. llavalle

llavalle Member

Crap, I need more coffee ;)

But the text is not the same. Check this screen shot from the US version.

USDesign.png

9. commasign

commasign Active Member

I think this text change happened within the last few days. After the recent major Design Studio changes (navigation becoming standard feature, metallic paint price increases, removal of dual charger option, HPWC, winter wheels, etc.,) it was still using the same text shown in the Canadian site snapshot above (I know cause I've been re-reading that text periodically to try to get a sense of when the other autopilot features are coming). It would be odd for Tesla to suddenly update the US site to say "soon" unless they were really getting ready to release it.

10. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

In the Norwegian forums we had a running joke last year about the way Tesla used "in about two weeks time" for just about any time period between 1-12 months.

11. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Were they on a .ca before? Looks like the address now is http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/

12. Majerus

Majerus Member

Remember when the chademo adapter was coming soon ?

13. muleferg

muleferg Member

This was posted about the Super Charger in Greenville, SC. Its been coming soon forever.

attachment.jpg

14. anxman

anxman Member

The TSLA earnings call from last month hinted at new autopilot features coming "next month" -- meaning, March 2015. I think we could see this update coming as soon as this week and definitely in the next two weeks.

15. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Or like the prior autopilot update, starting April 1st. ;)

16. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I am reminded of a useful cultural factoid whilst living on the Baja peninsula one year: "Mañana does not mean tomorrow. It just means... not today."

Once one understands that very basic concept, all becomes well.

Unfortunately, a lot of customer goodwill is lost due to unnecessarily poor quality and even
    more unnecessary design flaws. It seems rather unfair to expect the excellent Tesla Service teams to resolve so many remaining items.

Getting the rest of the autopilot features that have been available for years elsewhere (Volvo, Mercedes) would be nice, yes.

More leading by example and less catching up and lost energy fixing silly things would be preferable.

17. scottm

scottm Active Member

Doh! You're right. Probably never was on .ca

Don't know what I was thinking, guess it's been a while since I went back to Tesla site after purchasing the car.

Deleted the post. Reason: mind fart.

18. anxman

anxman Member

Yeah, I remember and I was upset about it until it was resolved! That being said, I think I'm holding Tesla to an insanely high standard. Despite these mistakes, they're still blowing BMW and Audi service out of the water (those were my previous vehicles).

19. davidc18

davidc18 Member

+1 - so we are wondering how "soon" is soon? Aug 1 is rapidly approaching and not a peep out of Tesla about lane keeping. This "feature" is the reason we purchased our 70D and not having it, after paying for it (and waiting for it), is really starting to bother me.

20. Matias

Matias Active Member

Chademo adapter was labelled "soon" well over a year before it started shipping. So that's one data point.