Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. We've only had a Tesla for about the last year so I don't really know the ends and outs of everything. Just what I've read. As far as destination chargers. Are they supposed to be free? As of August it looks like Tesla opened up the ability to charge customers only if the destination has six or more chargers. My understanding is Tesla provided and installed chargers for these destinations free of charge, with the expectation they would be free to customers. In return they would be listed on Tesla's find us destination site and possibly produce more business for the host. I only ask because we've never paid before at a site with a destination charger. But have now run into a place that wants more than you would pay at a Supercharger for just a few hours of charging. Luckily this site has a nearby Supercharger opening very soon so it will be a non-issue before long. What gives?

Btw... I don't expect free anywhere. However I do expect it to be reasonable. Especially if it's implied on the Tesla site that it should be free.

We've only had our Tesla for about the last year so I don't really know the ins and outs of everything. Just what I've read. As far as destination chargers... Are they supposed to be free? As of August it looks like Tesla opened up the ability to charge customers only if the destination has six or more chargers. My understanding is Tesla provided and installed chargers for these "destinations" free of charge, with the expectation they would be free to customers. In return they would be listed on Tesla's "find us" charging map on the Tesla site and possibly produce more business for the host. I only ask because we've never paid before at a site with a destination charger. We now have an upcoming stay and I was surprised to find out they want more for just a few hours limit on charging than we would pay at a Supercharger. Luckily this site has a nearby Supercharger opening very soon so it will be a non-issue before long. What gives?

Btw... I don't expect free charging anywhere. However I do expect it to be reasonable. Especially if it's implied on the Tesla site that it should be free

I've yet to see a paid (metered) destination charger, but there are plenty at places with restricted access or paid lots. Hotels is an example, it's free but you have to be a hotel guest. Most of the time you need to be a patron of whatever place has it but there are the occasional totally free ones here and there.

As far as destination chargers. Are they supposed to be free?
Not necessarily.
My understanding is Tesla provided and installed chargers for these destinations free of charge, with the expectation they would be free to customers. In return they would be listed on Tesla's find us destination site and possibly produce more business for the host.
Maybe that is a vague expectation, but certainly not required. Tesla usually helped with the installation costs, but the policies of how they are used and what they charge for their use is entirely up to the business hosting them, since they are the ones paying for the electricity (which is not free). That value exchange of being listed on the maps in the cars is in exchange for having them made available at all--not of them being necessarily free.

I have only paid for one destination charger (after dozens of stays) and it was at a hotel. The charge came through the chargepoint app. Other than that, they have always been free for guests. I stay at only Marriott brands with destination chargers.