Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Details Model 3 interior walk-through

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla employees are under tremendous pressure not to disclose anything.

Elon Musk August 02, 2017

"We're not promoting the car. If you go to our stores, we don't even want to talk about it, really, because we want to talk about the thing that we can supply," Musk said on a company earnings call with analysts on Wednesday, Aug. 2.

Essentially, customers are told to go online if they want to learn more about the Model 3.

"I want to emphasize you can't see the car unless you want to look at pictures online," Musk said
. "You can't test drive a car. You have to put down a $1,000 deposit."

None of this is proof of what you claim.

Reactions: anonim1979
The negativity is not Elon's fault - it's YOURS. Just because you expect Tesla to 150% achieve his already ambitious and somewhat unrealistic timeline does not force YOU to be so negative. No, the negativity is on you.

BS
Let me call it frankly: FUD and BS
. There are HUNDREDS of Tesla delivery videos (Model S & Model X) on YouTube and there has been no rush to remove them.

The removed Model 3 video to-date, was one of the few videos online anywhere that provided clear detail about the Model 3 HVAC system, the premium audio, the center screen, the inside door opening process - actuator (all doors), current alignment of door and panels (QA), and current production VIN.

Self Inflicted Damage
Tesla could solve
this very easily by publishing a Model 3 feature and functionality video for those who reserved the Model 3 over a year ago. Tesla (Elon) teased the public with the release event and gave Motor Trend access to the Model 3. Musk uses the media to serve his purposes, holds reservations of customers for over 15 months, and does not appreciate that people want to understand more about what they will be purchasing and how it works.

Marketing for the Investors Not the Customers
I feel the release event was done PRIMARILY to signal to the market that Musk could meet his projected delivery dates for the Model 3 and prepare the market for future stock offerings.

Musk emphasized the released vehicles were production vehicles but it is clear these examples should not be subject to public scrutiny. This would be the equivalent of the IPhone 8 being delivered to customers but an embargo placed on any social media posting or testing (bend test, scratch test, etc.) until Apple QA dictates.

Model Y, Tesla Trucks, Boring Company, and Space X
Tesla (Elon Musk) has been making public statements about a host of future concepts and initiatives by his own choice. As CEO,. he has chosen to prioritize activity within his company. If he wants to quell interest in the Model 3, he can start by stop taking reservations and focus on communicating basic information better to existing customers. Using employees and their families as Beta testers and expecting them to maintain 'radio silence' may have been a bit naïve upon reflection.

Sorry to be snarky everyone but the negativity is just unbelievable. To expect a fully polished, completed Model 3 in such a short period of time is UNHEARD OF.

If there is any negativity, maybe.... just maybe it rests at the feet of Elon Musk. I don't expect a fully polished and error free Model 3 at this time. Tesla is trying to skip Beta testing and move directly to production and he should be applauded for challenging traditional production methods.

We live in a social media world where people publish everything that touches their lives (the good and the bad). Maybe Tesla beta testing should be conducted differently in future.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
Is it a "beta test"? I think that's an old-fashioned way of categorizing it, but sure, it's a phased rollout - and employees are active, knowing and willing participants of the "beta test". Not just to get a car, but to make the car better.

Exactly. It is entirely possible, and likely, that all ee's who wanted to volunteer to be an early adopter signed an agreement to be silent publicly and send reports back on their usage -- the good, bad and and ugly -- so tweaks could be made on the fly. If an ee did not want to volunteer/participate to be a 'tester', they could go to the back of the family line.

At least if I was Elon, that's what I would have done.

Personally I think that video was removed because it contains Tesla's worker during delivery process.
They have a standing policy about that for a long long time. No such videos are allowed with Model S, Model X, and now with Model 3...

Or if it is the video I saw it was removed because it had copyrighted music playing in it. That's a big no-no on YouTube.

Reactions: anonim1979
It's not surprising that that video showing off the UI got taken down. I'm sure this was the exact reason Tesla didn't want anyone with the car putting out those videos in the first place. Even the Tesla employee in the video didn't know a lot of stuff about the car (saying there was no FM radio, for example), and the last thing Tesla probably wants is a bunch of misinformation being spread all over the internet about their huge upcoming release.

Of course, this doesn't explain why they don't put their own walkthroughs on their website to ensure that the correct information is out there, but hey, October is right around the corner...

Reactions: Dr. J and C141medic
It's pretty clear that they are getting the car out now at the expense of not having all of the non-critical software elements ironed out.

If given the option of getting a Model 3 in late 2017 or early 2018 that has all the production hardware and functions at a reasonable level but will require a software update to enable all the normal creature comforts, OR not getting a Model 3 until 2019 or 2020, I'll take the former. This will enable many of us the opportunity at at least a piece of the tax credit (and maybe all of it), and in the end, once a few OTA updates come out, I won't remember the features that were limited early on due to the software. (Actually, I think by the time I get mine in early 2018, the OTA updates to enable full functionality will have already occurred.)

These videos got me more excited about the upcoming release to non-employee customers. :)

Based on common sense. Having to take your eyes off the road to adjust your wipers is just plain stupid. And since the rain detecting autowiper feature has been promised to model S drivers for 2? Years and still no sign of it i'm not holding my breath for Tesla to ever get that right without adding a proper rain sensor.

I can see another way the existing model 3 stalk would be much more practical IMO than what was seen in the video. Touch the wiper button on the end of the stalk and for the next 5 seconds the scroll wheel(s) on the wheel become wiper/washer controls. That would keep the anti-button/knob minimalists happy, and mean you would not need to take hands of the wheel or eyes off the road to turn the wipers on or adjust speed.

Hmm - according to this thread, the Model 3 has a dedicated rain sensor!

a923eso3645z.jpg

Given this, I'm pretty sure everything's going to be ok with the controls, one way or another...

The car is going to be great.
I speculate that they have contractual obligations for exclusive first reveals (since they do not advertise).

This allows them to be on par with competitors with much larger advertising budgets - a evener playing field.

This is all very true. Thanks for reminding me that two door cars exist (my two door barely has room for a grocery bag behind the seats).
Robin
But in all two door four seat cars i've seen the front seats have a release lever that sent the front seats fully forward and tipped the seat back or entire seat forward to make this a somewhat easy way out of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
Link? Both the Model S and Model X have manual overrides for the rear doors, so I'd be surprised if the 3 didn't.

I didn't watch the video and not sure if both front doors come with manual release because it seems from the comment, only the driver side does have one.

Tesla Model 3 Detailed Video Review Finally Surfaces

So, if the car gets in an accident and loses all power only the driver has a mechanical door handle that will let him/her escape? I hope that’s not true. I also can’t imagine why they did did electronic door releases at all on a car that’s aiming to be affordable.

I am really concerned about that too. That could lead to all persons stuck in the car, when the driver is not conscious anymore or the front door damaged too badly. I think this should not be road legal, i really hope there is a solution to this problem.
Especially for EVs fire is always possible at a high speed crash faster than design limits (i.e. tests needed for homologation), what is another reason, why you want to be able to escape quick.

Reactions: AlanSqB
I didn't watch the video and not sure if both front doors come with manual release because it seems from the comment, only the driver side does have one.

Tesla Model 3 Detailed Video Review Finally Surfaces

So, if the car gets in an accident and loses all power only the driver has a mechanical door handle that will let him/her escape? I hope that’s not true. I also can’t imagine why they did did electronic door releases at all on a car that’s aiming to be affordable.

I am really concerned about that too. That could lead to all persons stuck in the car, when the driver is not conscious anymore or the front door damaged too badly. I think this should not be road legal, i really hope there is a solution to this problem.
Especially for EVs fire is always possible at a high speed crash faster than design limits (i.e. tests needed for homologation), what is another reason, why you want to be able to escape quick.

Driver and passenger side front doors. Neither rear doors.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
> Especially for EVs fire is always possible at a high speed crash faster than design limits (i.e. tests needed for homologation), what is another reason, why you want to be able to escape quick.

Not true. The fire is much more probable in ICE car, there had been cars with 2 doors only for eons...
And in some cars with 4 doors you can't open back doors before opening front ones... BMW i3 for example (AFAIK).

Interior overview Vid got yanked. Probably wasn't supposed to post that. Whoops. Hopefully nobody got fired.

Edit: rehosted video here
(seeing you comment in M3 pictures thread)
Going for a title of internet hero?
Deliberately knowing that this video has:
a) copyrighted music
b) Tesla's worker filmed during delivery without his consent - a big no no for Tesla (on all deliveries - Model X,S, and now 3)...
c) It's not yours, you don't have owner's permission for rehosting it nor (at least) the person that uploaded it...

you post it?

What's next piratebay links for newest movies?
Or maybe 18+ hidden camera videos as it seems that for you people's personal wishes are nothing important?

Last edited:
Is it a "beta test"? I think that's an old-fashioned way of categorizing it, but sure, it's a phased rollout - and employees are active, knowing and willing participants of the "beta test". Not just to get a car, but to make the car better.

No, Beta software is just a plain wrong way to characterise it. Its not Beta.. it's Alpha, or even pre-Alpha testing. Beta is feature complete, find the bugs and quirks, sort out the documentation. That is not what i saw in the video.

It's pretty clear that they are getting the car out now at the expense of not having all of the non-critical software elements ironed out.

If given the option of getting a Model 3 in late 2017 or early 2018 that has all the production hardware and functions at a reasonable level but will require a software update to enable all the normal creature comforts, OR not getting a Model 3 until 2019 or 2020, I'll take the former. This will enable many of us the opportunity at at least a piece of the tax credit (and maybe all of it), and in the end, once a few OTA updates come out, I won't remember the features that were limited early on due to the software. (Actually, I think by the time I get mine in early 2018, the OTA updates to enable full functionality will have already occurred.)

These videos got me more excited about the upcoming release to non-employee customers. :)

For the diehard fans or those who desperately want a long range EV, sure. For the average buyer coming from a Lexus, BMW, Audi, Mercedes who does not adore Tesla? No freakin way. They will expect the car to be feature complete at the time of delivery.

If you saw the nitpicking that goes on in the BMW forums over the tiniest bug or gremlin, if they got an M3 missing this many features they would lose their minds.

(seeing you comment in M3 pictures thread)
Going for a title of internet hero?
Deliberately knowing that this video has:
a) copyrighted music
b) Tesla's worker filmed during delivery without his consent - a big no no for Tesla (on all deliveries - Model X,S, and now 3)...
c) It's not yours, you don't have owner's permission for rehosting it nor (at least) the person that uploaded it...

you post it?

What's next piratebay links for newest movies?
Or maybe 18+ hidden camera videos as it seems that for you people's personal wishes are nothing important?

Counterfeit tinfoil to sell to Looney Tunes posters so they can build larger conspiracy theory hats?