Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DFW Electrician for HPWC, NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a referral on a good, reasonably-priced electrician to do work to install an HPWC and possibly a NEMA 14-50 as well (options if we get a second EV) in the metroplex (Southlake, if specific location matters).

I'm going to need to have the general service to the house and existing panel and sub-panel evaluated; not sure exactly how much work this will entail, but I know I want to run a line from the panel/sub/new sub into my garage and install an HPWC and possibly a spare 14-50 on the exterior wall between the 2 garage doors. Might end up needing an additional sub-panel if there's not enough capacity for a 100 amp line to the garage.

I'm going to want this properly coded and permitted as well, so no quick-n-dirty folks (ha ha).

I'm also not handy with the construction-type stuff, so don't tell me how easy it is to install myself. ;)

I'm thinking based on these pictures that I have a sub-panel already, and that there is plenty of room (?) to add 100A service line to the garage (the second picture is of the sub(?) panel on the right)...
IMG_2339.JPG
IMG_2340.JPG

The big breaker at the top of the panel second from the right says 200; the one at the top of the panel on the right says 100.

Is that 300 or 200 with a 100 sub-panel? Either way, it's not 400 AFAICT.
If the 100 is a sub panel, you should have a 100 amp breaker in the 200 amp panel (ideally marked that it's for the sub panel).

This is something the electrician can easily verify and resolve for you. I did my own, so I don't have a recommendation

BTW, Southlake passed an EV charging ordinance last month, so it's now "legal" to have EV charging in your garage.

I got two bids on my house, ended up with going with the one that was much higher. I forget who gave me the low ($2,000 or so) bid. But they told me I could paint the 100 amp wire running up the side of the house, nothing about city permits; thus, I felt they really didn't know what they would be doing. Tesla recommended Mr. Electric and I spent over $4,000 with them 2.5 years ago. They properly ran the wire through conduit everywhere it was exposed and did get it permitted and it passed Southlake's inspection on the first try. I know I spent a lot on the wire, 100-amp isn't cheap, and it had to run up two stories all the way through the attic and then down into the garage. For reference I just spent $1,800 running a new 20-amp circuit across the house to the bathroom which was about an equal length run. Hopefully you don't have a long run so yours can be cheaper. PM me if you want to stop be and see the work they did, I can explain what is involved.

I got two bids on my house, ended up with going with the one that was much higher. I forget who gave me the low ($2,000 or so) bid. But they told me I could paint the 100 amp wire running up the side of the house, nothing about city permits; thus, I felt they really didn't know what they would be doing. Tesla recommended Mr. Electric and I spent over $4,000 with them 2.5 years ago. They properly ran the wire through conduit everywhere it was exposed and did get it permitted and it passed Southlake's inspection on the first try. I know I spent a lot on the wire, 100-amp isn't cheap, and it had to run up two stories all the way through the attic and then down into the garage. For reference I just spent $1,800 running a new 20-amp circuit across the house to the bathroom which was about an equal length run. Hopefully you don't have a long run so yours can be cheaper. PM me if you want to stop be and see the work they did, I can explain what is involved.

Did Mr. Electric install the HPWC/nema 14-50 or just run the line for you?

They don't show up in Tesla's recommended electricians for Southlake any more...

Did Mr. Electric install the HPWC/nema 14-50 or just run the line for you?

They don't show up in Tesla's recommended electricians for Southlake any more...

Mr. Electric installed everything, at first 14-50, then came back and installed the HPWC. When they ran the line the HPWCs were not shipping out yet. They told me that Tesla was paying them for the return trip to replace the 14-50 with the HPWC, I just had to call and schedule with them when the HPWC arrived.

Try Chris at CK Electric. He's in Carrollton, legit Texas Electrical Licensed Contractor. He pulled a 40 amp circuit for my kitchen in April, $450, and I plan to use him when I get my tesla. He keeps busy so you may have a two week lead time like I did. (214)208-7754

Fox Electric in Arlington and Dallas. $325 for installation of 50 amp breaker, 45 feet of 6/3 wire, and NEMA 14-50 outlet. All parts and labor included. Found their referral on Texas sub-forum of the teslamotors.com. Seems they have installed quite a few for MS owners. Came out within the week. I've been staring at the outlet for a month. It is magnificent. Now I just need my MS. Entered production yesterday!
I'm in Colleyville.