Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did AP follow distance change with update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
I usually set the follow distance in Auto Pilot to 3. But now I use 1 or 2. This is driving around speed limit (65-75mph). It seems like it got less aggressive? I don’t know....perhaps it’s just me? Anyone notice this as well? I kinda notice this as well in stop and go traffic. Set at 1, the car seems to leave a wider gap between the front car and mine.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
I noticed a difference when I first updated to V10. I really wish they had a 0.5 and 0.25 option. It's annoying having to disable the collision warning and keeping my foot on the accelerator to force autopilot to follow more closely.

It's annoying how many people get in front of you otherwise just because it leaves a large enough gap at 1.
Completely agree. In bumper to bumper traffic it can definitely frustrate the people behind me. I've gotten honked at a few times. I don't see why Tesla doesn't allow a more aggressive follow distance if the car is going below a certain speed. You don't want to be that guy who is holding up the traffic and letting other cars cut in front of him.

I must be an outlier, because I would much rather just get where I'm going a few seconds later than follow unsafely close.

I agree with you, however you can also define "follow unsafely close" as far enough that other drivers constantly dive in front of you, causing AP to brake, causing the car behind to (hopefully) brake etc. Every city has a driving style and if you can't follow it, you create unsafe situations and pissed off drivers around you.

On the highway, away from urban areas, it is much easier to drive with proper distance between cars. Not so much on city freeways with heavier traffic.

I must be an outlier, because I would much rather just get where I'm going a few seconds later than follow unsafely close.
I don't think you understand. I used to drive with AP set to 3 or 4, which IMO is a relatively safe distance when traveling 65mph. Now I have to lower it to 2 to get a similar distance. It's not just me that notices the change. My girlfriend also commented on it. I always err on the side of caution when it comes to AP. What were discussing above when it comes to following closely is with slower bumper to bumper traffic.

I agree with you, however you can also define "follow unsafely close" as far enough that other drivers constantly dive in front of you, causing AP to brake, causing the car behind to (hopefully) brake etc. Every city has a driving style and if you can't follow it, you create unsafe situations and pissed off drivers around you.

On the highway, away from urban areas, it is much easier to drive with proper distance between cars. Not so much on city freeways with heavier traffic.
You made a great point. I've had to disable AP a few times because the car behind me is following closely and I'm afraid AP would brake too abruptly and my car would get rear ended.

yup, that's me. I don't care who pulls in front of me as long as can keep moving. I am fine with the way mine is set with newest software, but I see on the road there sure are a lot of people that like to be 8 inches off the bumper of the guy in front :D

As a side note, I would not want a .25 or .5 setting. It would make more sense to jump increase the numbers from 1 to 10. haven't noticed any difference in the setting in recent versions, but maybe because I tend to stay far back anyway. If people behind me aren't happy, they can just go around me or leave home sooner. :)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SlimJim
As a side note, I would not want a .25 or .5 setting. It would make more sense to jump increase the numbers from 1 to 10.
I don't see why they can't add a wider range and give people more options? Make 1 more aggressive and and add 10 for some of you granny drivers out there :D

But seriously, I recall Elon talking about potentially adding a "LA Traffic Mode". I think he understands that Autopilot is too conservative in certain situations.

I don't see why they can't add a wider range and give people more options? Make 1 more aggressive and and add 10 for some of you granny drivers out there :D

But seriously, I recall Elon talking about potentially adding a "LA Traffic Mode". I think he understands that Autopilot is too conservative in certain situations.
yes, I'm thinking that as well. It seems reasonable they could do that. Would be nice. Lots of "granny drivers" as you call them, are out here and mixed in aggressive drivers. I don't consider myself as a granny driver. I just like to leave a lot of space in front of me.

Reactions: hydro 481
yes, I'm thinking that as well. It seems reasonable they could do that. Would be nice. Lots of "granny drivers" as you call them, are out here and mixed in aggressive drivers. I don't consider myself as a granny driver. I just like to leave a lot of space in front of me.
I think Tesla should allow for a closer follow distance for stop and go traffic at least. Maybe when traveling 25mph or less? Again, it's not about getting somewhere faster or whatever. It has to do more with driving etiquette.