Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did August & September sales EVER happen before and will they ever happen again?! 30K+ Discounts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
August/September/October 2018 is going to be a real interesting month for CPO sales for P90D and P90DL cars. A lot of these cars were leased and a lot of owners will turn them in. It will take Tesla 2 weeks to add them to CPO after you turn them in. And there will no doubt be a P90DL that pops up every now and then before August. Hopefully that will give you a little time to gauge the market.

If you opt to not keep the car Tesla will have to sell it at the going rate. Residual value won't matter. The market price should be fairly well established. If the $7500 new car credit is gone that will tend to increase the CPO car values. Who knows how AP2.0 will affect anything or whatever else Tesla introduces in the next 2 years.

I don't know how your lease works but I would prefer to get a 4 year warranty on a 2 year old high performance car if I bought it outright. Are there any terms for extending the lease? Depending on the CPO market for P90DLs maybe you can negotiate a price other than the residual value. Maybe you can negotiate a warranty extension. Either way you have to come up with beaucoup cash. :(

My guess is the market will bear a P90DL with 40,000 miles in the $90-95,000 range.

"Lease extension will be amazing solution but doubt it"!!

The latest sales projections from Inside EVs are out and the bears are having a field day:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/402...ions-inside-evs-indicate-tesla-q4-likely-poor

It's amazing to see how much joy and excitement people can have around a company possibly missing sales targets.

But this is raising the question again of whether Tesla will offer discounts or incentives this month to move cars. In Q3 the huge discounts began in August and ended (I believe) mid-Sept. I know Elon said no discounts on cars fresh out of the factory, but that doesn't cover the inventory of older cars (e.g. AP1) and showroom cars, many of which are discounted <$5k. I think the sense is it will be hard to move cars with outdated hardware without bigger discounts. The two year lease was a huge boon in Q3 because it allowed them to sell higher end vehicles at low monthly payments, because the federal tax credit was spread over fewer months. The monthly cost ended up being lower for 2 vs 3 year leases. And it kept the ASP up while offering great deals.

What are people expecting at this point? There isn't too much time left to sell inventory vehicles with deliveries still occurring by Dec 31.

Caveat that the delivery projections could all be wrong, and I'm rooting for them to succeed and meet sales targets regardless.

Reactions: soooma
The latest sales projections from Inside EVs are out and the bears are having a field day:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/402...ions-inside-evs-indicate-tesla-q4-likely-poor

It's amazing to see how much joy and excitement people can have around a company possibly missing sales targets.

But this is raising the question again of whether Tesla will offer discounts or incentives this month to move cars. In Q3 the huge discounts began in August and ended (I believe) mid-Sept. I know Elon said no discounts on cars fresh out of the factory, but that doesn't cover the inventory of older cars (e.g. AP1) and showroom cars, many of which are discounted <$5k. I think the sense is it will be hard to move cars with outdated hardware without bigger discounts. The two year lease was a huge boon in Q3 because it allowed them to sell higher end vehicles at low monthly payments, because the federal tax credit was spread over fewer months. The monthly cost ended up being lower for 2 vs 3 year leases. And it kept the ASP up while offering great deals.

What are people expecting at this point? There isn't too much time left to sell inventory vehicles with deliveries still occurring by Dec 31.

Caveat that the delivery projections could all be wrong, and I'm rooting for them to succeed and meet sales targets regardless.

Great post

I hope we see a last minute 4th quarter sales blitz. There are a couple of inventory cars I have my eye one if they start doing this.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Discounts for Q3 extended a bit into October but the super 2 year lease offers ended September 30, with the exception of a few buyers who received their cars late. I ordered mine September 28 and still got a $13,000 discount. There weren't too many 90Ds discounted. It was mostly P90Ds and 75/75D.

The discounts for AP1 cars are slowly creeping up again. Most people would not buy an AP1 car without a big discount, at least $15K for a 90D, maybe less for a 75D. At the end of Q4 the AP1 discounts will not drop. They need to get rid of them, which makes me sad to phrase it that way. :(

Im not sure what Tesla is doing right now. I think they are trying to create this image of luxury high end cars but you cant do that with old hardware. There is no way they should be charging 75K for inventory 75's with AP1. Looking at CPO prices and new inventory AP1 prices you can tell Tesla wants to keep their cars at a certain price not to look "CHEAP" and marking them up to sit outside in a parking lot somewhere. I personally wouldnt touch an inventory ap1 unless they priced it at 65K MAX.

Im not sure what Tesla is doing right now. I think they are trying to create this image of luxury high end cars but you cant do that with old hardware. There is no way they should be charging 75K for inventory 75's with AP1. Looking at CPO prices and new inventory AP1 prices you can tell Tesla wants to keep their cars at a certain price not to look "CHEAP" and marking them up to sit outside in a parking lot somewhere. I personally wouldnt touch an inventory ap1 unless they priced it at 65K MAX.
I agree. It is a bit of a conundrum they have. Holding onto inventory of last generation hardware becomes less attractive with more and more passing time. However, they don't want to discount them so much that devalues the market and resale values. Definitely a fine line there somewhere and really uncharted territory in the automotive market. Up to this point, the legacy automakers really haven't had any where near the scenario Tesla has.

I agree. It is a bit of a conundrum they have. Holding onto inventory of last generation hardware becomes less attractive with more and more passing time. However, they don't want to discount them so much that devalues the market and resale values. Definitely a fine line there somewhere and really uncharted territory in the automotive market. Up to this point, the legacy automakers really haven't had any where near the scenario Tesla has.

I agree from that perspective but when selling cars you can never make everyone happy. You're screwed when you buy tech/cars first because they get cheaper in 6 months. You're screwed when you buy it cheaper/later because the new model is coming out.

• Funny
I personally wouldnt touch an inventory ap1 unless they priced it at 65K MAX.

This actually seems to be the case for 2016 S60-kWh AP1 cars.

Examples: Many inventory S75-kWh cars are currently priced @ <$75k; when you subtract the $9k for limiting the battery to 60-kWh and then take off another $1k using the referral = you're at/under $65k, before the tax incentives.

Btw, I've been following new inventory for the last week and it's seems most cars are being reduced by $100/day.

Not a bad way to get into a brand new (albeit 'older' AP version) Tesla, imo.

Cheers

• Funny
This actually seems to be the case for 2016 S60-kWh AP1 cars.

Examples: Many inventory S75-kWh cars are currently priced @ <$75k; when you subtract the $9k for limiting the battery to 60-kWh and then take off another $1k using the referral = you're at/under $65k, before the tax incentives.

Btw, I've been following new inventory for the last week and it's seems most cars are being reduced by $100/day.

Not a bad way to get into a brand new (albeit 'older' AP version) Tesla, imo.

Cheers

I believe they only take off $7k these days if rolling back a 75 to a 60 (or at least this is what my sales advisor told me).

I believe they only take off $7k these days if rolling back a 75 to a 60 (or at least this is what my sales advisor told me).

Certainly not trying to argue, but, last week, my sales advisor informed me (in writing) that the price reduction (from 75 to 60) was $9k. I'd hope that type of discount would not be arbitrary / on a case-case basis.

Perhaps she was incorrect, but what she wrote is crystal clear.

Regards

Certainly not trying to argue, but, last week, my sales advisor informed me (in writing) that the price reduction (from 75 to 60) was $9k. I'd hope that type of discount would not be arbitrary / on a case-case basis.

Perhaps she was incorrect, but what she wrote is crystal clear.

Regards
I wonder if they were forgetting about the price increase of the 60 (although the difference between what you and I were quoted doesn't reconcile with that)? If you go ahead with a purchase, please confirm what they end up doing - it would be useful for me as I'm thinking of doing the same. I hope your info is the right one, the extra $2k off would be great.

Last edited: