TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did August & September sales EVER happen before and will they ever happen again?! 30K+ Discounts?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by soooma, Oct 30, 2016.

1. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

The internal leasing division itself is backed by a (fully drawn) $300M warehouse facility with Deutsche Bank on which Tesla is paying LIBOR+(undisclosed) fixed margin.

• Like x 1
  2. Footer

Footer Member

Yeah, right. Good luck with that. It would be easier to kick a drug habit. Better start saving your nickels and dimes. You're going to need them.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. Footer

Footer Member

The discounts are creeping up again. That lone 70D that has been on the market forever got a big price drop. Discounts on many other cars have increased from the $2000 to the $4000 range. Some even higher. Keep your eyes open. Maybe it's the start of another wave.

• Like x 1
  4. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

All the CPOs got a nice price drop too

5. Blkasp2

Blkasp2 Member

Saw there are a few p85ds now listed with 30k plus discounts. On the ev site doesn't show lease available. Does anyone know if they are available on the 24m lease deals?

6. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

24 mo lease opportunity is gone to the best of my knowledge.

• Like x 1
  7. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Active Member

No the 24 month lease is gone and those three P85d's are not leaseable. Must be purchased.

• Like x 1
  8. Omer

Omer Member

it was worth it to Tesla to do these deals even if they lose a bit in a couple years on residuals. After subtracting the tax credit from the residual, Tesla's cost on a high spec car will be mid 80's. Even if they sell for mid $60's it will not be too noticeable in the financials because by then they should be ramped up to producing 50k cars/month and summer 2018, wall street will mainly be valuing Tesla on cars delivered since Model 3 will indicate the future viability of the company. Meanwhile, Tesla may not have actually lost any cash because they would have probably needed to discount those cars further had there not been a 24 month lease or if they waited until news of AP2.0. By showing a profit maybe it will help shave a few basis points off their cost of debt when they issue debt next year and those few basis points might be more absolute dollars than the residual loss they'll take in 24 months.

9. Kenx008

Kenx008 Member

I took the plunge! For those who purchased an inventory car or CPO how much did your mileage vary from the website? This was suppose to have 13.9k but my lease quote has the car reading at 14.1k miles.

Attached Files:

10. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

11. E60MKF

E60MKF Member

The impact options have on your residual are slim to none here in the UK. If I was to look at an ICE for example the BMW 5 series before and after facelift price for the same registration (we use registration instead of model year), the difference is around £500 more for a facelift with the same mileage.

If the dealer is only charging £500 more then the customer on part-ex would have got maybe £100/250 more...

12. GTIceman

GTIceman Member

Don't get me started. Mine had 482 more miles than the website. Tesla didn't care.

• Funny x 1
  13. TJtv

TJtv Member

Why would those particular cars not be leaseable?

14. GTIceman

GTIceman Member

Too high of mileage likely or age. Most companies will not lease cars over 15k or 20k miles and ones that are not within the current or immediately previous year. These are 2014 cars.

15. soooma

soooma Member

My fear exactly :(
    I'm paying 980$/month for 2 yrs with 5k down and sticker 146k P90DL!!!!
    What's gonna happen at end of lease remains to be seen?!
    Residual is like 94K?! And it will have 40k plus :( because I got it with 10k miles son it and I drive about 1500-2000 miles per month!!

Advice?!
    Predictions?!

16. Footer

Footer Member

August/September/October 2018 is going to be a real interesting month for CPO sales for P90D and P90DL cars. A lot of these cars were leased and a lot of owners will turn them in. It will take Tesla 2 weeks to add them to CPO after you turn them in. And there will no doubt be a P90DL that pops up every now and then before August. Hopefully that will give you a little time to gauge the market.

If you opt to not keep the car Tesla will have to sell it at the going rate. Residual value won't matter. The market price should be fairly well established. If the $7500 new car credit is gone that will tend to increase the CPO car values. Who knows how AP2.0 will affect anything or whatever else Tesla introduces in the next 2 years.

I don't know how your lease works but I would prefer to get a 4 year warranty on a 2 year old high performance car if I bought it outright. Are there any terms for extending the lease? Depending on the CPO market for P90DLs maybe you can negotiate a price other than the residual value. Maybe you can negotiate a warranty extension. Either way you have to come up with beaucoup cash. :(

My guess is the market will bear a P90DL with 40,000 miles in the $90-95,000 range.

• Like x 1
  17. spooky981

spooky981 Member

#57 spooky981, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Elon was completely aware of the coordinated nationwide discounts being handed out on brand new cars, and conveniently feigned amazement over it two days before the end of the quarter. He had to liquidate AP1 inventory fast before the AP2 announcement, but act surprised so that he could revert to the no-negotiation-no-discounting paradigm that Tesla uses.

I'm happy. I got a $9,500 "showroom discount" on a car that hadn't even left production in Fremont yet when I put down a deposit. But don't be naive. Elon didn't learn that his company was discounting brand new cars from his Twitter feed.

• Like x 3
  18. wamochi

wamochi Member

i am hoping US Bank allows some negotiating room on the buy out price. i've never been able to successfully negotiate a lower buyout than the stated contract price on a lease, but i also tend to come in under mileage so the financing company has zero incentive to work with me. this time i won't be under mileage (the 10k lease was cheaper than 12k/15k even after paying the 25c excess at lease end), so maybe they will do some negotiating.

although in 2 years i think we will all want AP 2.0. my inventory car was practically brand new so it'll be hard to give up, but i just don't think the 95k buyout is going to be a realistic market price.

• Like x 1
  19. Footer

Footer Member

I don't know about the buyout but I think Tesla will be selling them at 62-65% of original sticker price with 4 year warranty. If you buy your car for the residual I assume you will only get the remainder of the warranty so you may be better off turning it in and buying a CPO if you still want to drive a P90DL.

• Like x 1
  20. soooma

soooma Member

Exactly my thoughts !!