Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I get an Invertory car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered Model 3 SR+ last night, build to order, not for an inventory car. To my surprise, I've already assigned a VIN and delivery appointment is scheduled as well when I logged in my account today. All happened within 24 hrs! Does that mean I was offered an inventory car? if that's case, can I ask them to waive the delivery fee? Thanks for your time, I am a brand new member here.

If the car gets delivered, the fee still applies. I’ve never seen Tesla waive this fee, under any circumstance. Be happy that you’re car is here so quickly—you can stop wasting time driving whatever it is that you’re driving and enjoy your new Tesla. Congratulations!

Mine was an inventory car with my “custom order.” It was located in Portland, OR with approximately 6 miles on it... was transported up to Seattle free of charge to my “local store” to be prepared for delivery. No reason not to take an inventory one, they’re exactly the same as the one off the truck from the factory and better yet, if you take delivery before the end of the month you can request they give you free supercharging for a year. (Promo right now for inventory vehicles purchased and delivered before the end of June.)

Every new car from Tesla pays $1200 documentation and transportation fee. The only way around that is if you buy a USED Tesla.

If the car gets delivered, the fee still applies. I’ve never seen Tesla waive this fee, under any circumstance. Be happy that you’re car is here so quickly—you can stop wasting time driving whatever it is that you’re driving and enjoy your new Tesla. Congratulations!

My Model 3 is getting delivered to my home tomorrow without any fees.

Unless you guys are talking about the "destination fee" which appears on every new car even if you buy it from a dealer lot. So I don't consider that a "delivery fee".

The destination fee cannot legally be discounted or waived, per federal regulations. It must be the same for every customer buying that model and model year of car.

edit: whoops, @JulienW

Last edited:
My Model 3 is getting delivered to my home tomorrow without any fees.

Unless you guys are talking about the "destination fee" which appears on every new car even if you buy it from a dealer lot. So I don't consider that a "delivery fee".
We are — for purposes of this thread, delivery fee = destination fee. And “no” it cannot/will not be waived (per law) as many have stated. Congratulations on your new Tesla.

I ordered Model 3 SR+ last night, build to order, not for an inventory car. To my surprise, I've already assigned a VIN and delivery appointment is scheduled as well when I logged in my account today. All happened within 24 hrs! Does that mean I was offered an inventory car? if that's case, can I ask them to waive the delivery fee? Thanks for your time, I am a brand new member here.

Thanks for all your responses! Another question, I find a lending agreement under my account, is that the loan document I need to sign? Yes, I applied Tesla loan when placing the order, but didn’t receive any response on whether it’s approved or not. Just saw the leading agreement under my documents. The delivery appointment was scheduled on Sunday at a Tesla delivery center and I paid the all the balance today.

I ordered Model 3 SR+ last night, build to order, not for an inventory car.
To my surprise, I've already assigned a VIN and delivery appointment is scheduled as well when I logged in my account today.
All happened within 24 hrs! Does that mean I was offered an inventory car?
if that's case, can I ask them to waive the delivery fee?
Thanks for your time, I am a brand new member here.
Well, you should check the mileage.

If very low, like below 10 miles, it can be someone cancel or decided to get a Model Y instead, or just a show room?
Because of the end of quarter, better selling everything. I noticed the San Francisco show room to be empty time to time.

If more than 50 miles, it could be a return or a demo...? Check on the DMV paper the mileage box.
You should get some discount if there is more than the typical 50 miles default mileage.​

About requesting any compensation, I read that sometime the color or the wheel option could be waived.

Well, you should check the mileage.

If very low, like below 10 miles, it can be someone cancel or decided to get a Model Y instead, or just a show room?
Because of the end of quarter, better selling everything. I noticed the San Francisco show room to be empty time to time.

If more than 50 miles, it could be a return or a demo...? Check on the DMV paper the mileage box.
You should get some discount if there is more than the typical 50 miles default mileage.​

About requesting any compensation, I read that sometime the color or the wheel option could be waived.

It said 15 miles on the lending agreement, so i guess it's not a returned car.. thanks

Reactions: SlimJim
It said 15 miles on the lending agreement, so i guess it's not a returned car.. thanks

There could even be a chance it has less then that when you get it. My purchase agreement had 50 miles and the car literally had like 6 miles on it.

Inventory vehicles might not even be AT a Tesla store and instead in a secure lot near by or near a transport hub. So I wouldn’t worry that a bunch of people have been test driving it or sitting in it or anything, Tesla isn’t like a standard dealer in that sense.