Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did i go overboard ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could understand it on something like a Porsche 911 or other similarly expensive car but the model 3 is essentially a $30k car with $20k in motors/battery pack. The stuff you are protecting (exterior and interior paint/materials) are barely better (in some ways worse) than a nicely equipped Camry.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I could understand it on something like a Porsche 911 or other similarly expensive car but the model 3 is essentially a $30k car with $20k in motors/battery pack. The stuff you are protecting (exterior and interior paint/materials) are barely better (in some ways worse) than a nicely equipped Camry.

Whether its a 30k car with 20k in motors, or a 50k car with no motor .. it's still 50k ... So I'm not sure why that's relevant?

Moral of all of this is things like wraps come down to whether you see a car as a tool, or a point of enjoyment. If it's just a tool to you then sure, spending money to keep it nice or change the looks is dumb. If it's a point of enjoyment, then it's a different value proposition.

I'm also one of those people who hate to see rock chips (or any imperfections on the car). So I had PPF done on the front of my car, and within the first week had a rock chip that wouldn't 'heal' and bugged me just as much as if it didn't have PPF and the chip was slightly larger. A rock chip is still a rock chip regardless of size so it just annoyed me. After 6 months, I had two rock chips that wouldn't go away.

On my new P3D-, I didn't opt for the PPF (it's a lease anyway) and after 6 months of ownership, I have 2 rock chips. lol

For people who don't want tons of rock chips and want to reduce at least the number of them, and happy with that, it's probably a good option. Just being realistic about the PPF as far as it concerns front bumper protection.

• Funny
I'm guessing you weren't actually trying to elicit any opinions contrary to your own by asking if you went overboard. You figured you'd get a bunch of model 3 owners high fiving you for your passionate protection plans.

Do you get super excited when you go shopping for home owner's insurance too? That all-over warm feeling you get knowing that everything is protected and covered - very joyful.

I'm only messing ya! peace!

Nah I figured I might get some comments.. though didn't figure this many. I wasn't looking for validation, just looking for conversation.

The biggest part that most seem to be missing is the stealth wrap isn't just for protection. It changes the look of the car to be matte. Which on the MSM looks sweet. I honestly didn't even know it existed until shortly after I placed my order for my M3.

Reactions: anti
Any examples in photo?

How much shopping did you do prior to your quote? I ask because it seems to be a common theme that whenever any shop hears the word Tesla the price is instantly significantly higher for many services.
A few people have posted pictures in this thread but here is the place I booked. There aren't many places in my town that does stuff like this but from what I've read online, 6k is pretty much in line with everywhere. They also do work on lots of cars well more expensive than Tesla's so I'm pretty sure it's not an upcharge.

Tesla Model 3 - XPEL Stealth PPF Wrap - Ceramic Pro Coating — Wichita Clear Bra - Ceramic Coatings, Paint Protection Film, and Window Tint

Scroll to the bottom to see the after pictures

A few people have posted pictures in this thread but here is the place I booked. There aren't many places in my town that does stuff like this but from what I've read online, 6k is pretty much in line with everywhere. They also do work on lots of cars well more expensive than Tesla's so I'm pretty sure it's not an upcharge.

I got quotes from 4 different shops in Northern CA for full exterior Xpel PPF and the price you were quoted is ballpark with what I was quoted. I've seen Xpel Stealth on MSM and I thought it looked great...

• Informative
Reactions: Stickboy46
I did very similar and can't imagine not doing any part of that list. The tint makes the interior so much cooler and I squint in bright sunlight less.

I got clear PPF and regret not getting the matt as there seems to be 10+ white model 3's in my home/work area and the differentiation would be nice in addition to the protection.

Rims, coilovers and maybe a big brake kit are in my plans. Why not, I love this car and didn't buy it as an investment.

Reactions: Stickboy46
I'd say if you can afford the $6k to do the stealth wrap, go for it. People are debating the value of $6k to the car's value, which is ridiculous since we all derive our values differently.

Personally for me, I hate seeing noticeable imperfection to my car, and having the protection alone is no brainer. Let alone the stealth wrap, which does change its look and gives it a more unique appearance.

Also, I see that point being brought up all the time about getting money back from resale... c'mon people, you don't do mods to increase your depreciating vehicle's value, you do it for your own enjoyment.

Reactions: Salted and focher
I'd say if you can afford the $6k to do the stealth wrap, go for it. People are debating the value of $6k to the car's value, which is ridiculous since we all derive our values differently.

Personally for me, I hate seeing noticeable imperfection to my car, and having the protection alone is no brainer. Let alone the stealth wrap, which does change its look and gives it a more unique appearance.

Also, I see that point being brought up all the time about getting money back from resale... c'mon people, you don't do mods to increase your depreciating vehicle's value, you do it for your own enjoyment.
Hard to enjoy paint when you’re inside the car. :D

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I don't think I ever was so giddy about getting a new car as I was when I ordered my Tesla! It's fun to look at all the accessories and read the forums and so on. But in the end you need to make the choices that will be best for your lifestyle. A lot of people on here are really into modifying their cars and it can be contagious! LOL! I didn't do a wrap, but if I did it would be to change the appearance in some way... like making it purple or some other fun color! LOL! I thought about getting the fob, but haven't yet. I really don't need it and it would just be another object to stuff into my pockets. I also have found that I don't charge my phone in the car. I did get a cable to plug in when needed, but when I use it I tend to forget my phone and leave it in the car. I'm so used to just keeping the phone in my pocket and getting out and walking away! Plugging it in is kinda of a PITA and a wireless charger would be more convenient, but I mostly only need to charge on road trips when I'm using my phone to play music or podcasts so I may never get the wireless charger. I did recently get a wrap to put on the center console, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I might do it this weekend.

Something you might want to consider in your cost calculations is that installing the Tesla wall charger could end up being more expensive than you anticipate. It was for me anyway. My electric panel was as far away from my garage as it could be and still be in my house so they had to pull wire up my walls into the attic and all the way across to the other side of the house and back down the wall there. Plus I needed a new panel because the house is old and the panel was original and needed space for the charger. So installation was probably twice what I anticipated. But in the end I'm happy I got the wall charger. It's not a supercharger, but it charges up fast enough that if I forget to plug in over night it will charge up enough for the day in a fairly short period of time. Or if I've driven the charge down and thought I was in for the day and then we decide to go somewhere later, if I plug it in when I get home, it usually has enough charge again when I'm ready to leave.

Also, don't forget to get floor mats. And if you will be transporting kids, you might want something to protect the back of the front seats from feet. I can't get over how dirty my car is now!

Enjoy your new car!

Reactions: Wennfred
I'm in the pro-PPF camp. I tend to buy my cars to keep forever. Within a few weeks of getting my M3P there was no doubt in my mind that I'd be keeping it for a long time. My cars get parked outside the majority of the time. Clean, flawless, glossy paint brings me joy. I hate seeing even minor swirls. While I enjoy spending time washing, detailing, claying, and polishing/compounding/waxing the paint, and understand how and have the tools to do it, I'd rather have the time for other activities or to spend with my family.

I love when people comment that you could get the car repainted for the price of a wrap. Sure, your car would look flawless for few months after the repaint, but what about the 5 years in between repaints that it is accumulating chips, swirls, and other flaws? For the same price, a wrap keeps my car looking flawless for the entire life of the wrap.

I've owned cars from 8 different manufactures so far in my life. The paint on the model 3 is by far the softest paint of any car I've ever owned. If you're the type of person that has wrapped cars before, or are inclined to do so now because you want the car to be easier to maintain and look it's best for the duration of your ownership, then I highly recommend getting a wrap if the price isn't obscene to you.

Does the $6k also include paint correction and full ceramic coating of the car, wheels, windshield, and trim? If not, that's close to Bay Area prices; I'd expect labor to be cheaper in Kansas.

Btw, paint correction made a HUGE improvement on my new multicoat red car, it's practically a different color. Image below for comparison.

original_a793c778-529e-4bdd-94a0-f112ae4fb813_MVIMG_20200228_163558~2.jpg

I don't think I ever was so giddy about getting a new car as I was when I ordered my Tesla! It's fun to look at all the accessories and read the forums and so on. But in the end you need to make the choices that will be best for your lifestyle. A lot of people on here are really into modifying their cars and it can be contagious! LOL! I didn't do a wrap, but if I did it would be to change the appearance in some way... like making it purple or some other fun color! LOL! I thought about getting the fob, but haven't yet. I really don't need it and it would just be another object to stuff into my pockets. I also have found that I don't charge my phone in the car. I did get a cable to plug in when needed, but when I use it I tend to forget my phone and leave it in the car. I'm so used to just keeping the phone in my pocket and getting out and walking away! Plugging it in is kinda of a PITA and a wireless charger would be more convenient, but I mostly only need to charge on road trips when I'm using my phone to play music or podcasts so I may never get the wireless charger. I did recently get a wrap to put on the center console, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I might do it this weekend.

Something you might want to consider in your cost calculations is that installing the Tesla wall charger could end up being more expensive than you anticipate. It was for me anyway. My electric panel was as far away from my garage as it could be and still be in my house so they had to pull wire up my walls into the attic and all the way across to the other side of the house and back down the wall there. Plus I needed a new panel because the house is old and the panel was original and needed space for the charger. So installation was probably twice what I anticipated. But in the end I'm happy I got the wall charger. It's not a supercharger, but it charges up fast enough that if I forget to plug in over night it will charge up enough for the day in a fairly short period of time. Or if I've driven the charge down and thought I was in for the day and then we decide to go somewhere later, if I plug it in when I get home, it usually has enough charge again when I'm ready to leave.

Also, don't forget to get floor mats. And if you will be transporting kids, you might want something to protect the back of the front seats from feet. I can't get over how dirty my car is now!

Enjoy your new car!
All good thoughts! As far as the install of the charger. Just got the quote back 425 to have them install it on a 60amp circuit and add a couple other outlets in my garage on another circuit. So definitely reasonable enough for me.

No kids for me and I got premium interior so I'll rock the included mats for a bit