Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did not pass inspection - anyone come across this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
City came out for inspection after a 2-3 week wait - I had to call the city to email Tesla that the revised plans were approved.

Why it failed:

1) Panel layout differed from what was submitted - this can be easily rectified with submitting the new plans

2) House is supposed to have a mud ring and bonding for water and gas...my house apparently passed inspection when it was built with only a mud ring and bonding for the water but not gas. Now Tesla has to create that. I don't even know what that's for....the Tesla guy told me it's for shorts?!

Has anyone been through this?

I would take this as a sign to go all electric and get rid of gas :) That was one of the first things I did when I bought my house.

Just doing that now--"natural" gas is toxic stuff, and terrible for our planet.

Replaced both gas water heaters with electric weeks ago, and the gas furnaces are now part of a SEER 20 HVAC replacement.

Calling the gas company after our next bill--"Come and get your meter. We're DONE!"

With all our excess solar power, this should have been done years ago . . . guess I'm a slow learner.

bonding for the water but not gas.
Some inspectors like to see a bond to the gas pipe near the gas entrance, but really NEC 250.104(B)(1) allows the gas pipe simply to be bonded at the appliance(s) using the gas. That often happens automatically when the appliance is connected to the gas line and has a 3 prong plug.

Anyway, it's very simple to do the bonding near the service, it's just a bonding jumper to the closest grounding electrode. E.g. if that's the metallic water service, it's a ground clamp on the gas pipe, another ground clamp on the water service (first 5' in the building, or outside), and a bare copper #4 connecting the clamps.

Cheers, Wayne

I don't think we want to get on a GHG discussion here. What State are you in?
If and when professional chefs convert to induction, I'll try one out

-----------------------------------

Why London’s Top Chefs Are All Cooking on £99 Induction Hobs
“I wouldn’t ever go back to gas.”
by Chloe Scott-Moncrieff
May 29, 2017

At P. Franco wine bar in London, an act of culinary sorcery is about to commence. Tim Spedding, former sous chef at the Michelin-starred Clove Club, is standing in front of two induction hobs.

James Ramsden is proprietor of fellow East London restaurant Pidgin, as well as the recently opened Enfant Terrible wine bar (currently shut due to venue issues), where he has installed only induction hobs.
Ramsden, who earned a Michelin star at Pidgin, said "I wouldn't ever go back to gas".

Down the road in Shoreditch, James Lowe of the Michelin-starred Lyle's, is also a fan. His menu is based around fire (the kitchen has a wood-burning oven and a charcoal grill), which means dishes like brill and black cabbage or Dexter rump with beetroot and dulse.

But Lowe also has four induction hobs and two portable ones. He fell for the no-frills cooking kit when starting out with The Young Turks chefs collective.

"It enabled us to cook on the top of car parks and the other places we found ourselves," Lowe explains. Induction hobs heat quickly, are energy efficient, and easy to clean.

"They're used by a lot of street food people for that reason," adds Lowe.

Travel back 30 years, however, to when the Britain's street food and pop-up scene was yet to be, and induction hobs were considered pretty naff. They went mainstream in the 70s but only in the domestic kitchen; never restaurants. For one thing, they required specific pans. But mostly, reckons Lowe, it was down to tool snobbery.

Induction cooking with Chef David Wei
Ginninderry
Oct 23, 2018

Can some explain what "mud ring and bonding for water and gas" mean? And how do I know if my house has them?
Mud ring has to be a garbled term. I would guess it should be ground rods or concrete encased electrode (a grounding electrode required to be made during any new foundation work, aka Ufer ground).

Water bonding applies if you have metallic water service and/or water piping in the house. If the water service is metallic, then it is a grounding electrode, and you need to connect it to the grounding system within the first 5' of entrance to the house. Otherwise, you just need to bond your metallic water pipes at any convenient location. And a common requirement locally is to bond the hot to the cold at the water heater (which is likely unnecessary if the water heater has a metal tank and the piping to it is metal). If it's a gas water heater, you can bond to the gas pipe there too.

Gas pipe bonding I discussed earlier.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Mud ring has to be a garbled term. I would guess it should be ground rods or concrete encased electrode (a grounding electrode required to be made during any new foundation work, aka Ufer ground).

Water bonding applies if you have metallic water service and/or water piping in the house. If the water service is metallic, then it is a grounding electrode, and you need to connect it to the grounding system within the first 5' of entrance to the house. Otherwise, you just need to bond your metallic water pipes at any convenient location. And a common requirement locally is to bond the hot to the cold at the water heater (which is likely unnecessary if the water heater has a metal tank and the piping to it is metal). If it's a gas water heater, you can bond to the gas pipe there too.

Gas pipe bonding I discussed earlier.

Cheers, Wayne

OK Thanks. Just to make sure below is the grounding and the water heater setup. I would be OK. Correct?

water_heater-600-400.jpg
grounding-600-400.jpg

OK Thanks. Just to make sure below is the grounding and the water heater setup. I would be OK. Correct?
The second picture shows a Ufer ground, so assuming the bare wire goes to the correct place in your service panel, that is good, and it means you don't need any ground rods.

The first picture shows the hot, cold, and gas bonded together at the wather heater, it's the bare copper wire going behind the white PVC pipe.

However, if your water service (the pipe coming out of the ground) is metallic, it needs to be connected within 5' of coming into the house. You haven't provided a picture of that, so I can't comment. But as the grounding electrode conductor at the Ufer ground appears to go off in two directions, and there appears to be another bonding jumper connected to the turned up rebar, there is a good chance one of those goes to the metallic water service, as everything else appears to be in order.

Cheers, Wayne

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV and jboy210