Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did our X get a little more desirable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a selling point but not major one. The free charging does stay with the car for life.

They should have time this better to avoid one less complication with the AP2 release. That would have a clear line that all AP2 cars did not have free life charging forward. Now you will have 3 groups: 1) MX AP1 cars always with free charging, 2) Some MX AP2 cars from Nov-Apr that have free charging, and 3) Most MX with AP2+ in future without free charging which will eventually be largest group.

If they did announce the date of AP2 availability beforehand then yes they could do that. However, the AP2 announcement came after AP2 already in production. This is to coup with existing orders that have not delivered yet. Can they do that with limited SpC? It would create an outrage and many cancelled orders. Now if you say existing orders get grandfathered in, wouldn't that end up with your scenario too? Some AP2 cars with unlimited SpC.

This is their current strategy on announcements - if it's an upgrade, announce it afterwards. If it's a downgrade, announce it beforehand (price increase, limited SpC). Other smaller stuff get no announcement at all (streamlining interior choices).

Last edited:
The free charging does stay with the car for life.

Source?

From what I have read, Tesla says: "your" vehicle when it comes to supercharging. When you sell it, it's no longer your vehicle.

To date, Tesla has allowed purchasers of used vehicles to have free supercharging but no one knows what will happen after Jan. 1, 2017 since Tesla hasn't made an announcement in this regard.

is there a deadline to receive your car or just order?

I.e. Order on dec 31st for delivery 6 months out. Assuring fully optimized ap2.0, free super charging, 2017 model, folding X seats, and whatever else happens till then.

Trying whatever I can do to not get burned twice.

is there a deadline to receive your car or just order?

I.e. Order on dec 31st for delivery 6 months out. Assuring fully optimized ap2.0, free super charging, 2017 model, folding X seats, and whatever else happens till then.

Trying whatever I can do to not get burned twice.
There is a hard deadline that you must take delivery before April 1st, 2017 for unlimited SpC.

For a model S or X that you already own, or order before Jan 1st, and trade in to Tesla, a new owner buying it as a CPO should get the "free" (pre-paid) supercharging.

For CPO cars, one of the things that Tesla might do is 'buy out' the unlimited supercharging. That is, pay the seller for the value, but not sell it to the new buyer, taking the loss in value, against the decrease in future liability.

For a private sale, they wouldn't be able to do this (according to their statements).

Thank you kindly.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
A Tesla rep in Freemont said the supercharger reads the VIN of the car among other data when you plug it in. That will then tell the supercharger if this VIN is eligible for free supercharging. So it goes with the car. Not the owner.
That mechanism doesn't ensure it stays with the car. Checking the VIN references the database - they'll have to reference all the 2018 non-unlimited cars to see if there are credits available, if a credit card is on file, etc. So it very easily could check the vehicle ownership as well by referencing My Tesla.