Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla Just Kill Nuclear Power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's little purpose in posting here, when its just fine to use emotional arguments instead of rational ones.
There is enough nuclear power is the world to produce enough MWh every year to power all of North America. ALL OF IT. If nuclear were actually unsafe, there would be multiple real accidents every year, not "close calls". In my book calling those close calls is nothing but a means to make the public fear nuclear power, which falls right into fossil fuel interests.
Nuclear is safe. It kills less than 1/10000 as coal, 1/100 as much as natural gas. End coal and gas first, it kills far more people.
Life is full of risks. Until you can prove me that living right in front of nuclear reactors adds anything more than 0.1% risks over normal risks of living, you're not making any sense in my book.

I agree 100%... nuclear is safe. But that safety has come at a cost. It's also prohibitively expensive.

I also agree that there's little purpose in posting here.... until someone ACTUALLY builds(finishes) a new nuclear plant for <$2/w.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and callmesam
Nuclear is safe. It kills less than 1/10000 as coal, 1/100 as much as natural gas. End coal and gas first, it kills far more people.
Life is full of risks. Until you can prove me that living right in front of nuclear reactors adds anything more than 0.1% risks over normal risks of living, you're not making any sense in my book.

I'm just going to bring up the Navajo reservation in New Mexico, contaminated from nearby uranium mining activity. It's in their soil, it's in their water, it's in the food they have little choice but to grow and eat. Mining is part of the nuclear fuel cycle as well, and yes, we understand it was during wartime, but they've had to fight for 70 years to get any attention to the issues out there, and damned little is still being done about it (or even CAN be done about it aside from relocation).

So no, sorry. It's not safe. That area won't be safe to live in for a long, long time.

Reactions: callmesam
There's little purpose in posting here, when its just fine to use emotional arguments instead of rational ones.
There is enough nuclear power is the world to produce enough MWh every year to power all of North America. ALL OF IT. If nuclear were actually unsafe, there would be multiple real accidents every year, not "close calls". In my book calling those close calls is nothing but a means to make the public fear nuclear power, which falls right into fossil fuel interests.

You are not helping by dismissing all arguments as being emotional.

Yes, there is basically endless amounts of fuel for nuclear power available.

And yes, especially when the history of accidents is included, the amount of energy produced per incurred fatality is much better for nuclear than for coal, which kills lots of miners and many more with toxic (yes, even radioactive) emissions. Not to mention the CO2-pollution.

However, nuclear is now being outperformed by renewable sources, so nuclear's advantages over the terrible, terrible coal are no longer relevant. If in 1979 governments and the nuclear industry had said: "OK, let's now push to replace all existing reactors with new and passively safe designs", then things would probably have been different today. But they did not and now they are too late.

The nuclear industry's only chance is to push hard for an immediate carbon tax, to be spent on non-fossil energy production. This will maybe give the expensive nuclear industry enough resources to manage to compete with the cheep and simple renewable energy sources. Maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
Toshiba falls 18% on problems with its nuclear power subsidiary.
The loss is related to a dispute over the value of a nuclear construction unit acquired by Westinghouse that was geared toward completing the newest generation of reactors at two U.S. facilities, which are behind schedule and billions of dollars over budget. Moody’s Investors Service, Rating and Investment Information Inc. and S&P Global Ratings cut Toshiba’s credit rating.

Toshiba Falls After Rating Cuts as Nuclear Unit Faces Writedown

Nuclear power has gone from "too cheap to meter" to "too expensive to matter"

Second, I'm all on board of the thorium reactors.
Bored one night watched about 4 hours of video from a professor about them.

I'll have an opinion on Thorium Reactors once someone builds one for commercial operation... until then it's mostly speculation. In the mean time... I plan to install solar PV as quickly as I can. It currently has the benefit of existing... that's a big plus in my book ;)

I'll have an opinion on Thorium Reactors once someone builds one for commercial operation... until then it's mostly speculation. In the mean time... I plan to install solar PV as quickly as I can. It currently has the benefit of existing... that's a big plus in my book ;)
Unfortunately due to snow and lack of sunshine during winter months in many parts of the world, PV is not a solution. We have a 54kW PV system on our commercial building latitude 53 ... Zero generation in the last 4 days.
Someone posted early the live feed power grid control room in Sweden. Current showing 49% power from Nuclear. Nothing from PV.
The control room

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 12.00.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 12.00.42 AM.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: callmesam
Unfortunately due to snow and lack of sunshine during winter months in many parts of the world, PV is not a solution. We have a 54kW PV system on our commercial building latitude 53 ... Zero generation in the last 4 days.
Someone posted early the live feed power grid control room in Sweden. Current showing 49% power from Nuclear. Nothing from PV.
The control room
Combination of PV and wind works well for Denmark and other Northern countries and is cheaper than any other source. Adding batteries can give you a complete solution.

Personally, I plan on building my next (and hopefully last) house in about 3 years and it's going to have one of those beautiful slate solar roofs from Tesla as well as two Powerwalls and a garage for my Model 3. At that point I plan on being totally off the grid. No power company, no nuclear worries, no concern over whether my power is created by burning coal, no carbon emissions concerns.

...done...period...end of story.

Dan

Personally, I plan on building my next (and hopefully last) house in about 3 years and it's going to have one of those beautiful slate solar roofs from Tesla as well as two Powerwalls and a garage for my Model 3. At that point I plan on being totally off the grid. No power company, no nuclear worries, no concern over whether my power is created by burning coal, no carbon emissions concerns.

...done...period...end of story.

Dan

Not even a teeny tiny Thorium reactor in the basement for emergencies, where you might need to power the whole town?

RT

It's awesome that you plan to be 100% solar... I would like to point out that there's a lot of benefit to being on the grid... even if you produce all your own energy.

I generate ~2x as much energy as I need annually but I barely get by in December. My winter vs summer production would be very similar to yours in Georgia. While I could be off-grid... I'd be throwing away ~6MWh of clean energy every year :( (curtailment after batteries are fully charged). Even if I didn't get paid that's ~3 tons of coal :eek:.... I'd rather it stay in the ground.

It's awesome that you plan to be 100% solar... I would like to point out that there's a lot of benefit to being on the grid... even if you produce all your own energy.

I generate ~2x as much energy as I need annually but I barely get by in December. My winter vs summer production would be very similar to yours in Georgia. While I could be off-grid... I'd be throwing away ~6MWh of clean energy every year :( (curtailment after batteries are fully charged). Even if I didn't get paid that's ~3 tons of coal :eek:.... I'd rather it stay in the ground.
Good point. Battery storage works well for daily cycles. It's much harder to store summer surplus for the winter.
I'm aiming for net zero over the year but will rely on the grid to "store" my summer surplus for the winter.

Reactions: nwdiver
Good point. Battery storage works well for daily cycles. It's much harder to store summer surplus for the winter.
I'm aiming for net zero over the year but will rely on the grid to "store" my summer surplus for the winter.

Yep... solar for the summer. Wind for the winter. Commercial wind... residential wind turbines are absurdly expensive. Commercial wind is the cheapest energy available and in great abundance during the dark winter months. But you've gotta be connected to the grid to get it.

The great debate among carbon free resources continues, on TMC.

The fact is Diablo Canyon, Fort Calhoun, Yankee, Pilgrim, Quad Cities, Clinton and SONGs are all very recent, or coming, nuclear closures to be heavily back-filled by natural gas, and coal. I think that is where the debate centers, for North Americans. New is pretty much dead here, accept for already in construction plants (2). Closing 2016 was NY's $17-38 nuke subsidy, and US (R) Senate discussions of a $35/ton sequestration tax-credit, for coal. It doesn't look like tax-credits will be threatened, as much as doled out for the fossil fuel industry. Elon, and many others talk carbon pricing, but it was practically as amusing as Trump getting elected, to see the Left shoot down CO2 pricing because of social interest groups. Ones that effectively wanted their cut of the proceeds (yes, WA). Once sorted out, lets hope a price puts the hate on CO2 instead.

It's a fun time to work in U.S. electricity. Nwdiver says wind PPA's are <$1/watt, but he isn't talking about off-shore. Just like lithium batteries, going from ~$1000 about 6 years ago, to $143/kwh in the Bolt, those ugly expensive $15 a watt wind mills, off Block Island, are poised to go down as more oil co's get heavy equipment involved. What I don't have a good financial sense of, is the recent Wall Street Journal articles marking two Dong PPA prices in Europe. The dollar equivalents were first about $80, and then another this week down in the $50's, per MWh. That includes feed in tariff, and possibly other supports that nuclear could only dream of. So, what's the true economies of scale price for off-shore going to be without subsidy or carbon pricing?

Both renewables, and keeping the nukes on, are cheap enough from a CO2 perspective that maybe we should beat the drum against natural gas build-out (and reinvigorated "clean coal") a little more? Cove point, on the Atlantic coast, is going to start shipping LNG to Asia (wha??). As a CO2 emitter, why be thrilled in the first place. Saying goodbye to ~$3/mmbtus, from higher bids abroad, is another reason US ratepayers could be left holding an under-diversified bag of new gas plants. I guess I'm making a circle, by coming back to natural gas peakers as also being partially displaced by battery storage in the not distant future. We talk $/watt and PPA quotes as benches for "who wins". The damage coming from batteries will be their limited entry into peak hours of the day, for maybe just two. The two hours that prices happen to be their highest. A very disruptive form of selective load following. Batteries don't displace nuclear, as much as they do fossil. Resources such as Diablo Canyon could have been re-licensed in 2025, and witnessed much higher capacity factors with those batteries, but instead there will be that other 50%, mostly fossil fired, pool of resources chugging when California's sun doesn't shine. It's why EPA sees sector CO2 falling only 10-20%, over 15 years. There are the multiple ways of solving the world's CO2 problems, the "blue squares" etc., and then there's policy, property rights and perception. Those last items amount to a 2 degree punch in the face, and then some.

Back to "solar's better than nuclear"...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch

Wait, first you would complain that we're using fossil fuels and now you're going to complain that I might make too much of my own power?

How much solar are we wasting by doing nothing? No thanks, I'll be happy as a lark to "waste" whatever solar I might harvest above what I need. But...that's just me.

Dan

Wait, first you would complain that we're using fossil fuels and now you're going to complain that I might make too much of my own power?

How much solar are we wasting by doing nothing? No thanks, I'll be happy as a lark to "waste" whatever solar I might harvest above what I need. But...that's just me.

Dan

Dan,

I suggest getting quotes for an off-grid PV-battery system and a grid connected PV system. Also for battery backup for critical circuits only (fridge, lights).

You probably will find that you will need 2-3 times as many solar panels and 2-6 times larger energy storage, compared to a grid connected system that provides 100% of your electricity. You can apply the cost difference to pay for a Tesla car or two.

GSP

Dan,

I suggest getting quotes for an off-grid PV-battery system and a grid connected PV system. Also for battery backup for critical circuits only (fridge, lights).

You probably will find that you will need 2-3 times as many solar panels and 2-6 times larger energy storage, compared to a grid connected system that provides 100% of your electricity. You can apply the cost difference to pay for a Tesla car or two.

GSP
Fair enough.

When I finally do get to that point I will certainly research all my options. If it can help me buy a Model S sablemate for my Model 3...I'm all for it!

Dan

"The fact is Diablo Canyon, Fort Calhoun, Yankee, Pilgrim, Quad Cities, Clinton and SONGs are all very recent, or coming, nuclear closures to be heavily back-filled by natural gas, and coal."

@3mp_kwh: I don't know about the other plants, but that is not a fact for Doablo Canyon.

Without the Clean Power Plan, are nuclear plants essential to combat climate change?

"PG&E’s approach is drawn from research in “Plan B,” a Friends of the Earth report based on a low carbon grid strategy developed by the Center for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Technologies (CEERT).

It replaces Diablo Canyon’s 18,000 GWh of yearly output entirely with energy efficiency, renewable resources and energy storage at a lower cost to customers than if PG&E kept the plant in operation, according to the utility's filing with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)."

For people interested in the details I suggest taking a look at "Plan B." It is linked in the Utility Dive article.

GSP

Reactions: mspohr
"PG&E’s approach is drawn from research in “Plan B,” a Friends of the Earth report based on a low carbon grid strategy developed by the Center for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Technologies (CEERT).

It replaces Diablo Canyon’s 18,000 GWh of yearly output entirely with energy efficiency, renewable resources and energy storage at a lower cost to customers than if PG&E kept the plant in operation, according to the utility's filing with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)."

California's grid is an ISO. It is discreet, for the most part, to California. It's mix of power has lots of fossil, and will for decades. The "other 50%, in 2030". So, Friends of the Earth, and CPUC, claiming nuclear will be replaced by renewables is just semantics. They're literally assigning renewables growth to nuclear's replacement, instead of natural gas/coal. How is that a good CO2 plan? If the money is spent anyway, we should all just respect that you can either reduce CO2, or nuclear risk.

NEPOOL let go of Yankee, in VT, and produced higher CO2 as a region, afterward. Closing Pilgrim may make a lot of people happy, but the accounting for CO2 doesn't lie. Just because the MA legislature did something similar to CPUC, by signing for 1.6GW of offshore, doesn't mean our gross over-dependence on natural gas (>60% of all electricity in MA) is going to mysteriously go away. 1.6GW of wind barely exceeds the steady output of a ~650MW reactor, and it's much, much more expensive. If those PPA's get done at 7-8 cents/KWh, it'll be a lot higher than what are likey ~3-4 cent O&M (and capital maint costs) of Pilgrim. The Block Island PPA has a 3.5% escalator, leading to a 47 cent KWh, at the end.
Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) Between National Grid and Deepwater Wind Block Island, LLC [Docket No. 4111] | Offshore Wind Hub [$235.75/MWh(1.035^20)] $469/MWh is pretty pricey, with lots of room to fall, too.

Natural gas is better than nuclear. Nuclear is better than natural gas. I think that is the practical debate so long as NG doesn't keep going up. EIA already expects a shift back to coal, this winter. That was another WSJ piece, about a month ago. $30/MWh internal costs, for NG, and about a $23 break-even where coal gets dispatched. The US could easily see more CO2 in 2017, despite all the press Sierra, Friends and others come up with in their "Plans". Sorry, no links. They're at work.

Last edited: